Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

My mother has taken out over $30,000 of credit in my name... HELP

The last post in this topic was posted 2384 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/credit-cards/new-fico-8-score-catches-on/

How FICO 8 differs from previous versions

Here are a few key differences between FICO 8 and previous generations of the FICO score:

Payments: FICO 8 is more lenient toward the rare missed payment. A "one-time mis-happening in terms of delinquency" doesn't penalize the score as much compared to previous models, says Duque-Ribeiro. "The flip side is that if that happens quite often they actually get penalized more than in the prior versions."

In addition, FICO 8 ignores small debts in collections and public record items that have an original balance of less than $100.

You can start talking again. ;)

That's interesting!

Mother or not, its criminal and If it were me, I'd bring criminal charges and send her butt to the pokey for a few years. Had the same thing happen to me and well... I just did exactly as I advised you to do. To say the least, we don't speak but i'm okay with that.

I had this done to me... I believed that it would be paid back. I am currently owed almost $750,000... I got payments of $2,000/ month for a few years and then.. Nothing, my father was ill... I am now suing his estate and I am the BAD daughter...

It is no different than dealing with a drug addiction. it is not personal, it is out of their control. The only way for them to face up to it is to have them hit bottom. He did it to my mother and to me... It is a mindset. You owe financial stability to your fiance and daughter, not to your mother.

bite the bullet, and file for ID theft. If they ask you who it could be, mention that you think it has happened to your brother as well. You don't have to ID your mother unless she induced you to sign a paper fraudulently. They will figure it out. She can't pay it back, I am sure, and she won't... She will rationalize it. file the report. good luck. I am still digging out ten years later.

Excellent insight, Liz...and learned the hard way, I see.

Seems the most valuable lessons I've learned left some serious battle scars.

And the one person I battled the most was myself...my ability to believe what I WANTED to believe. ;)

When I filed a police report here in the past few months, it was the 3rd "incident" to pop up since 1992.

My situation was much less significant, in terms of dollars, than yours and OP's. I didn't name any names

in my police report, and it wasn't enough to warrant any investigations by police. So it served its purpose.

OP is 26 yrs old. How old are these accounts? Are they charged off? When did you discover the fraud?

The problem is if you have known about this but did not report the fraud you may have missed the bus.. There is a time limit on these things (a report would have minimized the loss to creditors).

I suspect if they were opened say 5 years ago the odds of you never needing credit (think car buying, apartment rental etc) are fairly slim which minimizes plausible deniability on your part.

Best case scenario, they have been charged off for a while out of SOL and you can start rebuilding.

At any rate Good Luck in whatever your decision is!

NO THERE ISN'T A TIME LIMIT .

AND THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS REBUILDING WITH 40k ON THE BOOKS, SHE COULD END UP BEING SUED.

DON'T GIVE ADVICE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

OP is 26 yrs old. How old are these accounts? Are they charged off? When did you discover the fraud?

The problem is if you have known about this but did not report the fraud you may have missed the bus.. There is a time limit on these things (a report would have minimized the loss to creditors).

I suspect if they were opened say 5 years ago the odds of you never needing credit (think car buying, apartment rental etc) are fairly slim which minimizes plausible deniability on your part.

Best case scenario, they have been charged off for a while out of SOL and you can start rebuilding.

At any rate Good Luck in whatever your decision is!

NO THERE ISN'T A TIME LIMIT .

AND THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS REBUILDING WITH 40k ON THE BOOKS, SHE COULD END UP BEING SUED.

DON'T GIVE ADVICE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

+1000

well yeah, the wander can go wander on some other thread, not coming back to this one.

that said,

Sweetie,

Don't know what you relation with your mom's like, hope it doesn't involve throwing things, ( i would have)

Hopefully your mother's current on these cards, and hopefully has a house she can refinance, to pay these off.

And that's what you should suggest to her, or otherwise, you're going to file ID theft reports with the police.

she needs to close the cards and pay these off, and if she can, then you've increased your credit rating

if she can't pay these off, they need to be closed and removed from your reports as ID theft accounts.

let the banks figure it out, it's her problem, and she's a grown woman.

freeze your reports, so that no one without proper ID can open new accounts.

follow the advice on the pinned topic in the ID theft forum.

need any more help, please repost.

I had this done to me... I believed that it would be paid back. I am currently owed almost $750,000... I got payments of $2,000/ month for a few years and then.. Nothing, my father was ill... I am now suing his estate and I am the BAD daughter...

It is no different than dealing with a drug addiction. it is not personal, it is out of their control. The only way for them to face up to it is to have them hit bottom. He did it to my mother and to me... It is a mindset. You owe financial stability to your fiance and daughter, not to your mother.

bite the bullet, and file for ID theft. If they ask you who it could be, mention that you think it has happened to your brother as well. You don't have to ID your mother unless she induced you to sign a paper fraudulently. They will figure it out. She can't pay it back, I am sure, and she won't... She will rationalize it. file the report. good luck. I am still digging out ten years later.

Excellent insight, Liz...and learned the hard way, I see.

Seems the most valuable lessons I've learned left some serious battle scars.

And the one person I battled the most was myself...my ability to believe what I WANTED to believe. ;)

When I filed a police report here in the past few months, it was the 3rd "incident" to pop up since 1992.

My situation was much less significant, in terms of dollars, than yours and OP's. I didn't name any names

in my police report, and it wasn't enough to warrant any investigations by police. So it served its purpose.

*grunting and snorting* heh-heh-heh, heh... (uhhh-huh-huh, uhhhh-huh-huh-huh,) she said 92.

:)

Guys & Dolls, OP has posted once and never revisited CB since to read any of this.

possibly reading the response thru email notifications, but hasn't even visited to read the ID theft forum.

lets hold off on anymore advice and posts until she comes back.

Based on that info... could we speculate just a tad more?

So we know it's a "she"...

Remember, we also had "FCRAanalyst" be a dud.

IF it is an attack of "hit and run, post once" posters, then MAYBE LL or FMC has mastered the art of new IPs....

IF it is an attack of "hit and run, post once" posters, then MAYBE LL or FMC has mastered the art of new IPs....

that is certainly possible there are IP masking services, proxy sites, VPNs etc

I was going to suggest that when someone asks a question like this, usually its because they did this to someone else and they are wondering if they can get into any trouble. They start getting paranoid thinking the world is out to get them, so they ask questions and their story changes as it goes on and on...

Plain and simple, in this case, relative or not, its Identity theft.

This story is a perfect example of why you need to stop her now and file a police report.

There should be a master thread about relatives stealing other family members info to get unauthorized credit.

And how about a separate forum for hit-and-run posts?

The Master: Granny jacked my social and ruined me financially.

:lol:

Maybe the, Trolls R Us forum.

that is certainly possible there are IP masking services, proxy sites, VPNs etc
This is true. My whole thing is, CB has some pretty good software, and I though all the TOR (and services like it) IPs were instantly recognizable ....

This could even be Tanya, though FCRAanalyst, leolibby aka leolibbygone, and FMC92 aka EdgarAllanPoe could be it, too. *since the more each passing day goes by without even a log-in, that looks more probable.

If this happened with me, I would obsessively be checking back every hour. Which lends more creedence to the theory...

Maybe the time I was in Florida with the roaches is in order. That would surely be to the liking of my "other forum originated" friend. ;) *casts line* LOL. I kid...

Maybe the, Trolls R Us forum.
Yes, they come from there. (The forum with the scores, not the other subject matter one I reference headquartered in Massachusetts from time to time.) Lol

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm watching the news now.

The last post in this topic was posted 2384 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.