Sign in to follow this  
toc

Ex refuses to remove SM

My son has a Sallie Mae account he has tried to dispute off early with no luck. Now it is supposed to drop off “ This account is scheduled to continue on record until May 2014”

He sent a letter to EX asking them to delete as it is now clearly obsolete. There response dated June 10 was to say they would not investigate again without new information. They then deleted the drop off date from the new report.

On the report the account went delinquent in March 2007 except for June and July which were marked okay. Did Experian make a mistake with the drop off date and if so can they just remove the drop off date and leave it on for several more months.

In other words what should he do now?

Thanks,
Tom

The date EX lists as the "continue on record until" is technically 3 months prior to 7 years from the DoFD. I was informed by one of their chat agents that EX will remove old tradelines three months early as a courtesy, however they are not required to do so.

So, while they are in no way obligated to remove it until August, as cv said just dispute it online and it should get taken care of.

Obsolete disputes are on of the few things that are BEST handled online. The results are usually faster, and I'm guessing that in many cases the computer software makes a quick, automatic decision without involving a person.

Obsolete disputes are on of the few things that are BEST handled online. The results are usually faster, and I'm guessing that in many cases the computer software makes a quick, automatic decision without involving a person.

...Proving once again that most people suck.

At EX, it's more than "most." :grin:

At EX, it's more than "most." :grin:

+1

Thanks for the quick replies I will have my son try try the online dispute.

But only some are good at it... :grin:

online is slow.

just call them.

have it deleted instantly.

He filed a complaint with the CFPB and EX deleted.

Did he call or do an online dispute first?

No it was clear as day when the tradeline should have fallen off and they removed the drop off date. So he decided to file a complaint against EX.

Experian needs to be pursued by the FTC and CFPB and put out of their misery.