Sign in to follow this  
ElGringo

Gas station won't accept out of town CC's

This is a new one for me. I was in Miami not long ago, and on the way back to the airport, I wanted to top off the tank in my rental car. I have a regular issue that I can't pay at the pump with any of my PR based cards (both credit and debit), anywhere in the mainland US, so I always prepay inside.

When I go to pay, I hand my BPPR Visa Debit Card. The clerk runs it as a debit transaction, and I tell her to run it as a credit, since it doesn't work as a debit. She tells me that then I need to go to the pump. I explain that it only works as prepay because it's a Puerto Rico based card. She proceeds to tell me that they only take cards from Miami residents, and calls the person in line behind me. I left and went to the gas station across the street and filled up no questions asked.

So yeah, just sharing that experience.

What do you expect for $7.25 an hour? Good service, and a modicum of intelligence? Heck, it's hard to get that for $30K a year....

What do you expect for $7.25 an hour? Good service, and a modicum of intelligence? Heck, it's hard to get that for $30K a year....

LOL...

LOL...

Unfortunate but so true.

This is a new one for me? I have never heard of anything like this that a company only accept in state credit cards.

This is a new one for me. I was in Miami not long ago, and on the way back to the airport, I wanted to top off the tank in my rental car. I have a regular issue that I can't pay at the pump with any of my PR based cards (both credit and debit), anywhere in the mainland US, so I always prepay inside.

When I go to pay, I hand my BPPR Visa Debit Card. The clerk runs it as a debit transaction, and I tell her to run it as a credit, since it doesn't work as a debit. She tells me that then I need to go to the pump. I explain that it only works as prepay because it's a Puerto Rico based card. She proceeds to tell me that they only take cards from Miami residents, and calls the person in line behind me. I left and went to the gas station across the street and filled up no questions asked.

So yeah, just sharing that experience.

This is a new one for me? I have never heard of anything like this that a company only accept in state credit cards.

Same here...

That would be a first...

And the proof is going across the street and just having it work regular..

I had a similar thing happen yesterday with a company I am familiar with for awhile tell me something I never heard before (likely due to an salamander on the phone) and going somewhere else as fast as I could and having it go through regular. An though that wasn't with credit cards.. Same principle.

The only thing I can think (other than the previously mentioned $7.25 employee) would be if they considered debit transactions like a check and therefore would only accept local?

I do not know if the fees are different, but I recall an independent gas station in my old town that insisted gas purchases with a credit card be made at the pump. They allowed debit inside as some people did not want their bank to put holds on the card.

But thankfully, there is a gas station on nearly every corner (or sometimes two on the same corner), so as with all other situations...if you do not get the service/answers you are looking for, go across the street.

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines