Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

I can not get an Amex, CITI, Chase or BofA Credit Card

The last post in this topic was posted 2302 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I have been working on my credit for 2 years to re-establish after a BK which is 8 years old. I have been following your suggestions as of joining the board but I have made some mistakes before by getting toy limits. All 3 of the cc reports are clean with the exception of the BK.

Income: $110K

Credit Utilization under 30%

Scores: Equifax: 652, Experian: 703 TransUnion: 705 (from myFico as of 06/14/2014)

Cards/Limits:

Barclay's: $1,800

Capital One: $5,750

Chrysler Capital: $ 14,840 Balance Lease

Credit First: $1,400

Fingerhut: 1,300

First Premier: $700

Jared: $400

Milestone MC: $250

Macy's: $600

SooperCU: 1,000

Amazon: $900

Banana Republic: $400

Care Credit: $3,200

Dillards: $300

Lowes: $300

SamsClub: $500

PayPal: $600

WalMart: $700

Denver CommunityCU: $1,000

AppliedBank: $850

Help.....................

Those prime cards are hard to get with a BK no matter how old.

Also depends on if you IIB'd them.

Most of the compiles have approved applications with BKs especially after the 5 year mark. I think the key is how much progress you have made since your BK. Utilization is also a factor as well.

Did you recon them and if so what was their response. What were your scores and utilization at the time you applied?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most of the compiles have approved applications with BKs especially after the 5 year mark. I think the key is how much progress you have made since your BK. Utilization is also a factor as well.

Did you recon them and if so what was their response. What were your scores and utilization at the time you applied?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1

I think part of it may be that you have a lot of store cards and only a few major CCs, and you also have subprime accounts like Fingerhut, First Premier and Milestone.

what strikes me is twenty credit cards...maybe start to weed them out...Even if low utilization, the potential for use is very high...increasing their exposure.

20 cards means nothing.

Lots of people have more than that with 800+ FICO and able to get any card they want.

20 cards means nothing.

Lots of people have more than that with 800+ FICO and able to get any card they want.

It may mean nothing in terms of your FICO scoring but it may be an issue with a recon or an internal scoring system.

Edited by dvd

I see a chocolate ton of junk cards...

I would jump on a few CU's and get some limits and history with them.. then try for prime lenders.

Holy batcards, sh*tman.

I was in a similar situation a while back. Didn't know how to manage my credit even after BK and was stuck in credit hell for 3 yrs and then slowly crept up to 3K limits.

At the 8 yr mark, I was able to get the BK off EQ. Then I targeted lenders that pull mainly EQ for my state (refer to creditpulls database) and the flood gates opened. With my high income, I was then able to get 10-15K limits.

Try as hard as possible to dispute the BK. Read up! http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=497777

I have been working on my credit for 2 years to re-establish after a BK which is 8 years old. I have been following your suggestions as of joining the board but I have made some mistakes before by getting toy limits. All 3 of the cc reports are clean with the exception of the BK.

Income: $110K

Credit Utilization under 30%

Scores: Equifax: 652, Experian: 703 TransUnion: 705 (from myFico as of 06/14/2014)

If your reports are clean otherwise, your scores ought to be way higher than that even with a BK showing.

There has to be a problem with your utilization.

Ideally you should have exactly one revolving account reporting a balance, and $0 on all the others. Since you have 20 open accounts (that is good!), you could get away with 2-3 reporting balances, but any more will hurt you.

Overall utilization is not the whole story. How is that 30% spread?

- If you had 20 cards and $100,000 worth of limits, a $2 balance on 19 of those would trash your scores.

- If you have a couple of $300 cards maxed out, that will trash your scores even if overall util is only 1%.

Having 20 open accounts paid on time is very much in your favor. Don't close anything unless it's costing you money. Work on minimizing the number of accounts showing balances. That might be as simple as paying the day before the statements cut instead of the day after. Or paying off all the lowest limit cards, which would cost you very little.

Then make sure no individual revolving account is showing a high util. Can you spread that 30% among your 2-3 highest limit accounts? Better yet, pay it down some because 30% is still sort of high (1% is ideal) and those balances are costing you a fortune in interest.

Your goal is to PIF all but one revolver just before the statements close so they will report $0 balances, and have the last one show a very small balance. $2 on that one is enough, but anything under 10% would probably get your scores near 750 even with an old BK showing.

Thanks for the responses. Some of you have conflicting opinions.

Amex app was on June 3rd and they didn't like all the cards, public record and score was: 661 Experian

Should I close the sub-prime accounts? Fingerhut, First Premier and Milestone

I can work on building up the two CU accounts and then try again.

By the way I have been disputing the BK with all three CB for two years nothing is budging, will continue...

why are your GECRB limits so low? Have you not hit the luv button every 4 months? As others have stated I would ditch the really crappy cards. good luck

Thanks for the responses. Some of you have conflicting opinions.

Amex app was on June 3rd and they didn't like all the cards, public record and score was: 661 Experian

Should I close the sub-prime accounts? Fingerhut, First Premier and Milestone

I can work on building up the two CU accounts and then try again.

By the way I have been disputing the BK with all three CB for two years nothing is budging, will continue...

You should re-read Occam's post about utilization. That could be your main problem.

Amex will probably not give you a card with a BK, so you might as well wait. There are plenty pf prime cards out there that you can get with a BK though.

I would recommend closing the 3 cards you mentioned and working on CLIs on your other cards before applying for new cards.

I have an 8 year old BK on all of my reports and have Amex and Citi cards, so it is definitely possible. Chase is on my personal blacklist so I haven't tried with them!!

The first higher limit cards I received were CU cards (JFCU back when it was "hot" on CB) and also Barclays.

When my utilization was higher on some of my cards I could not get the prime approvals-- so I agree that is a good place to start. :)

I didn't BK'd any of them

Honestly - I did not get approved for any of those cards until the BK7 fell off of my credit report...and I did not IIB any of those creditors. I go with others that say to get your total combined utilization down to around 10% or less.

I never IIB Citi but they didn't approve me until I got the BK deleted. They had declined me on multiple occasions, citing the BK as the sole reason.

I'd work on building these up:

SooperCU: $1,000

I'd call GECRB today and ask for CLIs, don't use the 'luv button'. Ask for $25k, let them counter.

Close these; GECRB CLIs should make up for them:

I'd call GECRB today and ask for CLIs, don't use the 'luv button'. Ask for $25k, let them counter.

+1

With one caveat Re: GE, initially target just a handful of fav GE accounts, for sure aim high (5-10K or more even) but something within the realm of reason, showcasing even just an iota that -as a card holder with a large number of accounts- you have some clue about current overall profile and ballpark what it can sustain, as opposed to appearing like are gearing up for bust-out, which may not be a good look on internal profile.

Edited by virtualtreasure

I wouldn't necessarily close Jared

esp if you've had it for a few years.

they're good for auto-CLIs over time.

Before you close anything ask for a CLI.

Don't close anything until the next fee comes due.

Why would you want to close Jared? Is there a fee?

The last post in this topic was posted 2302 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.