Sign in to follow this  
stroked89coupe

Amazon STORE CARD 5% cash back.

I've started backing way down from Amazon shopping since they started charging sales tax.

Fallout from other people thinking the same way, perhaps?

If Amazon ever starts charging sales tax I will go elsewhere.

But I've never seen this (I last shopped there two days ago).

Might this be peculiar to your state? Maybe they are using you, or your state, as a GP.

I've started backing way down from Amazon shopping since they started charging sales tax.

Might this be peculiar to your state? Maybe they are using you, or your state, as a GP.

I'm in Georgia and I get charged sales tax.

I wonder whether that's based on delivery address, or billing address. :ph34r:

Either way, it does not bode well. :(

I'm in Georgia and I get charged sales tax.

Same in CA. I can still sometimes find identical items from Amazon sellers that don't have the same geographic/tax requirements as Amazon itself, but not always, and it's definitely more effort.

I wonder whether that's based on delivery address, or billing address. :ph34r:

Either way, it does not bode well. :(

Now in most cases it is. But I assumed amazon charged everyone sales tax. FWIW I always buy direct from amazon 95% of the time. I'm unsure if I got charged tax with independent sellers.

Edited by stroked89coupe

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Massachusetts
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Pennsylvania
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin

The above quote and a lot more info on Amazon charging sales tax is on their website here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512

Edited by TX-Bluebonnet

Should I try to order something to see what it says? :D

If you want to GP this, go ahead and buy me a gift card and see what happens. :lol:

Is it your birthday?

Sure! :lol:

Mine is June 7th :)

And. This offer is FORREAL!!! Check out what happened when I put something BI in the cart for my friend! :D

59c4743b-6313-42e8-a889-1cb0e81ff500_zps

What does this offer say when you expand it? It's too small/blurry to read. When I add something I get a message that looks just like this, but it's only about the 6 month financing promo, nothing about 5% cash back.

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Massachusetts
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Pennsylvania
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin

The above quote and a lot more info on Amazon charging sales tax is on their website here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512

This looks like a solid business plan for Amazon. If they can convince local governments everywhere to require it, it ought to drive a lot of smaller competitors off the internet due to the costs of compliance. :( It would be a nightmare for small businesses.

I've read that the offers are varying between nothing, 3, 4 and 5%. I logged in on my laptop last night, offer was 4%. Today there was nothing, and 20 seconds later my wife on her laptop in the same account had a 4% offer. Pretty strange. Also read there seems to be no rhyme or reason to who is being offered what. Heavy users with nothing, 2 a month Kindle purchasers getting 5%.

Occam, on 31 May 2014 - 2:21 PM, said:

TX-Bluebonnet, on 31 May 2014 - 1:50 PM, said:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Massachusetts
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Pennsylvania
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin

This looks like a solid business plan for Amazon. If they can convince local governments everywhere to require it, it ought to drive a lot of smaller competitors off the internet due to the costs of compliance. :( It would be a nightmare for small businesses.

A lot of people think that's exactly why Amazon's backing the sales tax plans that they are.

Occam, on 31 May 2014 - 2:21 PM, said:

TX-Bluebonnet, on 31 May 2014 - 1:50 PM, said:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Massachusetts
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Pennsylvania
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin

A lot of people think that's exactly why Amazon's backing the sales tax plans that they are.

I don't know much about this, but I seem to remember that years ago Texas claimed Amazon should have been collecting sales tax since they have a distribution center in the state, and so they sued them for millions of dollars.

Meh should I move spend over from my Citi Forward card...ugh.

Probably better to keep activity with a major lender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what your TYP's are worth. If you're redeeming at 1¢ per point, I'd probably switch to the Amazon card and still use the Forward for restaurants.

If you're redeeming with a Premier or a Prestige, then the Forward.

I don't know much about this, but I seem to remember that years ago Texas claimed Amazon should have been collecting sales tax since they have a distribution center in the state, and so they sued them for millions of dollars.

Yup. ^^

As Amazon has grown larger, they've added distribution centers in new states to keep overhead and freight charges manageable.

They've charged tax in TX for a while now. For those of you in states NOT (yet) on this list...you might reasonably expect this "cost of doing business" with Amazon to land in your zip code eventually. :wave:

Depends on what your TYP's are worth. If you're redeeming at 1¢ per point, I'd probably switch to the Amazon card and still use the Forward for restaurants.

If you're redeeming with a Premier or a Prestige, then the Forward.

Yeah I'm getting 1c/point but I'd rather keep the activity at Citi. I think the long term relationship benefits have a higher potential. Not sure what GECRB really gets me...

Just checked my Amazon shopping cart and they're offering the 5% or special financing if I apply for a card (and a $20 gift card). Looks like this is becoming the standard reward structure.

So, maybe I DO need to obtain another GE card :grin: Only have one.

I've had the amazon visa for years. But 5% vs 3% hmmm

If this holds up I'm getting one in August. That gives me an excuse to put off poor Sallie Mae for yet another year.

Sorry Sallie, it's not you... really. It's just that another Barclays signup bonus caught my eye...

If this holds up I'm getting one in August. That gives me an excuse to put off poor Sallie Mae for yet another year.

Sorry Sallie, it's not you... really. It's just that another Barclays signup bonus caught my eye...

If this holds up I will get one too, and then I won't be beholden to that sh!tty Discover it card in the fourth quarter each year. Maybe I can finally give that thing the flush it so badly deserves.

If this holds up I will get one too, and then I won't be beholden to that sh!tty Discover it card in the fourth quarter each year. Maybe I can finally give that thing the flush it so badly deserves.

Wow! You really have a hate for discover :D

Wow! You really have a hate for discover :D

I honestly loathe a small handful of brands. Discover is one of them.

Currently I'll take their 5% cash back/dirty money for online shopping in the fourth quarter every year, and in return for my scorn they'll cheat me out of part of it. It's part of the joy of Christmas.