Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Amex Platinum Card - Chip

The last post in this topic was posted 2271 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Earlier this week, I received a new (replacement) Amex Platinum card, which has a Chip on it. Anyone else get one ?

I also got a replacement SPG card this week with the chip & dip. I wasn't going to comment because the fascination with security upgrades that only really benefit the issuer eludes me.

I have three other Amices from Centurion bank (Platinum, Green and Hilton Sourpuss :P) but so far I've only gotten a replacement SPG.

I also got a replacement SPG card this week with the chip & dip. I wasn't going to comment because the fascination with security upgrades that only really benefit the issuer eludes me.

I have three other Amices from Centurion bank (Platinum, Green and Hilton Sourpuss :P) but so far I've only gotten a replacement SPG.

It does not just benefit the issuer. Having your card # stolen via the primitive 'swipe method' sucks for the consumer too. This is a win-win for everyone.

It does not just benefit the issuer. Having your card # stolen via the primitive 'swipe method' sucks for the consumer too. This is a win-win for everyone.

There is zero liability to me for unauthorized usage, whether or not there is a chip.

I get the argument that lower fraud leads to lower costs to the consumer, but I am not any more interested in the chip technology than I am any other counter-fraud measures taken by credit card issuers or anyone else. Up until recently the cost/benefit analysis for the issuers to use improved technology vs. just paying for the losses didn't pencil out. Obviously, now it does or they wouldn't be doing it.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....

Edited by cv91915

There is zero liability to me for unauthorized usage, whether or not there is a chip.

I get the argument that lower fraud leads to lower costs to the consumer, but I am not any more interested in the chip technology than I am any other counter-fraud measures taken by credit card issuers or anyone else.

Getting a card stolen is a pain, and not every consumer monitors their cards as closely as those of us here do. Nevermind the fact that you have to go and switch out your card information anywhere you're using it. I've dealt with this several times in the past, and it's a PITA.

Anything that protects my financial information is a huge plus. A card issuer benefiting, and a consumer benefiting, are not mutually exclusive things.

I get the argument that lower fraud leads to lower costs to the consumer, but I am not any more interested in the chip technology than I am any other counter-fraud measures taken by credit card issuers or anyone else.

Getting a card stolen is a pain, and not every consumer monitors their cards as closely as those of us here do. Nevermind the fact that you have to go and switch out your card information anywhere you're using it. I've dealt with this several times in the past, and it's a PITA.

Anything that protects my financial information is a huge plus. A card issuer benefiting, and a consumer benefiting, are not mutually exclusive things.

You have a right to be interested in this, and I have an equal right to be bored out of my @%^@ head. Whether or not other people monitor their credit card bills is their issue, not mine.

You have a right to be interested in this, and I have an equal right to be bored out of my @%^@ head. Whether or not other people monitor their credit card bills is their issue, not mine.

That's your right.

I forgot to add - those of us who travel internationally regularly are excited by this as well.

Enjoy your swipes.

Edited by moadikum

That's your right.

I forgot to add - those of us who travel internationally regularly are excited by this as well.

Enjoy your swipes.

I think you'd want a chip + PIN for the most reliable results for international travel (and we already have at least one from a foreign bank for that purpose). I think the replacement cards that Amex is sending are chip + signature.

It's a reality in the US as well. I was forced to chip and sign at a Walgreens on Saturday for a Sapphire transaction.

My "amices" are fresh issue, no chip.

PRG / BCP.

Don't care for either for FT due to fee.

That's your right.

Enjoy your swipes.

I think you'd want a chip + PIN for the most reliable results for international travel (and we already have at least one from a foreign bank for that purpose). I think the replacement cards that Amex is sending are chip + signature.

Retailers in the EU are required to accept chip + signature, because those with cognitive issues cannot always remember their pin. The biggest security bonus for chip cards, is that the card # is encrypted - so when it's transmitted, it cannot be siphoned off.

Chip + Signature works fine for me in the UK.

It's a reality in the US as well. I was forced to chip and sign at a Walgreens on Saturday for a Sapphire transaction.

My "amices" are fresh issue, no chip.

PRG / BCP.

Don't care for either for FT due to fee.

Forced how?

The computer would not allow the swipe to go through even though both options were available. Reporting error. The clerk said that's the way it is with the POS they were running. He said if it was chip enabled, you had to use the chip. I was a little deer in the headlights. Chip did process though.

The computer would not allow the swipe to go through even though both options were available. Reporting error. The clerk said that's the way it is with the POS they were running. He said if it was chip enabled, you had to use the chip. I was a little deer in the headlights. Chip did process though.

Yep, experienced this at Wal Mart.

Yep, experienced this at Wal Mart.

Same experience the other day.

Hmmmm, I just requested replacement and received all 4 of my Amexes last week and NONE of them had the chip - including my Plat and SPG. :dntknw:

The last post in this topic was posted 2271 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.