Sign in to follow this  
waterlili

Retailer Refusing CC for Certain Purchases

Does Visa and MC allow a retailer to accept their cards, but refuse to allow certain items to be purchased with it? For example, there are 2 stores here that won't allow lottery to be purchased with a CC. I've been getting cash from the ATM just for these purchases, but I'd really like to be getting my rewards for the money I'm spending on lottery. Should I report them to the CC companies, or is this practice okay with them?

I've never seen a store that allows lottery tickets to be purchased with either a credit or debit card (I'm in Ohio).

Thanks all, and thanks for the link tango. Very informative article. Looks like Visa and MC leave it up to the retailer to decide.

Idaho state law allows lottery on credit. The state lotto commission recently agreed not to allow credit cards to be used in the lottery vending machines as a concession to lawmakers who think scratch offs are too addictive, and it's too easy to buy compulsively thru the machines.

But Jackson's, the largest c-store chain doesn't take credit for lottery, and in fact won't even take a Shell gift card for it. One of the managers said it's because you have to push the "credit" key to take the gift card, and they don't allow credit purchases of lottery. Sigh :rolleyes: I've been buying them at the state-run liquor stores but just last week had the clerk balk a bit saying she didn't think she could take it. She went ahead for that purchase but I have a feeling that will be the last time.

Guess I'll have to switch to a debit card but I get better rewards on the CC.

Well I know a LOT of gas stations around here allow beer and cigarettes to be purchased on food stamps. I'm sure you can use your credit card there for lotto tickets.... :)

Well I know a LOT of gas stations around here allow beer and cigarettes to be purchased on food stamps. I'm sure you can use your credit card there for lotto tickets.... :)

Obviously it's not legal for food stamps to be used for that sort of stuff. I think those stores code the purchases as "groceries" to get away with it.

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines