Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Which Card to Apply Next: Lowes Declined !!

The last post in this topic was posted 2439 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello Folks,

I just closed on a home and need some appliances. All my scores are in the mid-600s. I applied for Lowes and got declined.

I want to apply again for another card preferably a store card that can help me get my appliances.

Could suggest which direction to go, and whether to apply online, in-store.

Also, if declined, which cards allow for reconsiderations?

cheers, Oy

Thanks - does it matter whether I apply online or in person/in-store - particularly, if I intend to choose an appliance right there and apply?

With a FICO score in the low 600's,

getting sizable lines of credit will be hard.

Have you considered buying used appliances,

and financing them with that store?

+1

Appliance markup is disgusting. I worked in a business selling them. Buying used is a good idea (especially with a new house to pay for). There are tons of stores you could buy from that offer warranties on them as well.

I know lenders have some trepidation about lending to new homeowners within a year of purchase.

Thanks - just tried applying for a Home Depot card - and got approved for a CL of $700. Thats a start - I am happy. And I will use it wisely...

rgds, Oy

Congrats on the HD approval...

When I bought my home in 2006 (I know, I know) I saved money by buying 3 used Kenmore appliances for a 1K (1 very large side by side fridge with water, ice; and a pair of front loading elite 4HT washer and dryer)

All three are still beautiful and running like new.

You could also look at ebay or craigslist for used appliances.

You'll find furniture purchases are a lot easier to finance...

if u got approve for home depot {citibank. credit card}.. chances are great you will get approve for sears they who use citibank as well. the limits are nicer than home depot i am sure..good luck

Edited by welovedee

Who is sears pulling these days? Last pulls was over a year ago.

Citi. Hard on EX, soft on EQ

Lowes declined me a month or so after I bought my house (was also in the mid 600 range then). 10 months after I bought the house they approved me (705 I think). Give it some time, reduce utilization if you are carrying anything besides the house and you should be good.

+1

A year ago I purchased a used fridge , range, washer and dryer for less than a grand!!

Great - thanks very much - I will do just that.

Thanks for all the suggestions about the used appliances - where do I find such used appliances - apart from YellowPages ?

Just look in the yellow pages under appliances (used) or google used appliances and your city. Also look around on craigslist as individuals selling appliances will be cheaper. Some places that sell used appliances also have warranties for say 90I days or so, and the more you buy as in my case they tend to give discounts. Good luck to you!

Edited by parisamour

I would suggest freezing Equifax and Experian... put them on Ice. Them *B Transunion until its perfect. Wait until you have no inquiries. Once Transunion is clear I'd app for a Barclays Reward or Apple Card. If you don't have the Apple card, you will likely get a limit of $2 to $5k... Barclays is my favorite. The better your score, the better your limit.

Thanks ... I like your suggestions. A few questions though:

1. Why freeze Equifax and Experian - is it because of the difficulty in removing inquiries from them?

2. Re B* Transunion - I have USAA Credit Monitoring, and I am able to do daily pulls. Is that all that is required when I want to "Bump" inquiries from TU? What other services can I use to increase my bumps? How long will it take to get rid of lets say 10 inquiries?

Thanks very much - Oy

The last post in this topic was posted 2439 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.