Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Portfolio Recovery Associates

The last post in this topic was posted 2379 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Received a letter from PRA - that they were collecting for Citi - sent DV letter - received nothing from PRA however, received a letter from Citi that they sold the account to PRA and is no longer owned by Citi and that all future correspondence must go to PRA. What do I need to do at this point?

TIA

PRA MUST present full records of your charges (each month) as well as the contract you signed to get your credit card and proof that they are licenced to collect in your state..as well as the assignment of the account from Citibank, which will allow you to know if they are allowed to charge interest .However, they are also able to negotiate a greatly reduced payoff to clear the account. They have paid pennies on the dollar... so you CAN negotiate with them. If you have your own records, do a spread sheet and compute how much are actual charges, fees, interest, and other costs. Citi will remain on your credit record and should notate the account as charged off, -0- owing. It will remain on your record for 7.5 years past the date of your first delinquency that led to the chargeoff...so get that date handy... and check both your state's reporting statute so far as credit reports (in nyc, a paid chargeoff or collection account is 5 years from DOFD) and your state's SOL (statute of limitations). See what they have before you "negotiate" if you are able to do so. Please, avoid a default judgement, show up in court and do file a response before you go there. PRA is often represented by Malen and Associates law firm... please do contact me if you have more details... also, how much is the amount owing and did citi keep charging interest on your account (they have on mine...at 29.99%). In court, a judge will often knock that off as well as fees...it all also depends on how much you owe... good luck and post more information if you have it.

PRA MUST present full records of your charges (each month) as well as the contract you signed to get your credit card and proof that they are licenced to collect in your state..as well as the assignment of the account from Citibank, which will allow you to know if they are allowed to charge interest .However, they are also able to negotiate a greatly reduced payoff to clear the account. They have paid pennies on the dollar... so you CAN negotiate with them. If you have your own records, do a spread sheet and compute how much are actual charges, fees, interest, and other costs. Citi will remain on your credit record and should notate the account as charged off, -0- owing. It will remain on your record for 7.5 years past the date of your first delinquency that led to the chargeoff...so get that date handy... and check both your state's reporting statute so far as credit reports (in nyc, a paid chargeoff or collection account is 5 years from DOFD) and your state's SOL (statute of limitations). See what they have before you "negotiate" if you are able to do so. Please, avoid a default judgement, show up in court and do file a response before you go there. PRA is often represented by Malen and Associates law firm... please do contact me if you have more details... also, how much is the amount owing and did citi keep charging interest on your account (they have on mine...at 29.99%). In court, a judge will often knock that off as well as fees...it all also depends on how much you owe... good luck and post more information if you have it.

+1.

Is this 100% true.? It's my understanding - the threshold for validation is low - like last 4 digits of your social security (not even necessary), acct number, and amount owed, and maybe some copies of old bills. Please send legal citation. There's so much contradictory information on the web about this - it makes my head spin.

Is this 100% true.? It's my understanding - the threshold for validation is low - like last 4 digits of your social security (not even necessary), acct number, and amount owed, and maybe some copies of old bills. Please send legal citation. There's so much contradictory information on the web about this - it makes my head spin.

I don't believe they need to provide all that in response to a DV. Did you send the DV to the OC or the CA?

Received a letter from PRA - that they were collecting for Citi - sent DV letter - received nothing from PRA however, received a letter from Citi that they sold the account to PRA and is no longer owned by Citi and that all future correspondence must go to PRA. What do I need to do at this point?

TIA

How old is this one?

you've beaten JDB's before, you need to send thru another DV to PRA -

they cannot continue to collect - A simple letter from the OC isn't validation of the debt.

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=522037

Letter I received yesterday - following dispute:

Dear Wannab850

RE: Verification Information: Concerning PRA, LLC

Seller: Citibank

Original Creditor: Citibank

The following information is being provided in response to your recent communication concerning the account referenced above. Account number xxxxxx and it proceeds were sold, assigned and transferred by the seller to PRA on 3/18/14.. At the time of the sale the seller provided an electronic file of ists business records concerning this account. According to the seller's records, there was due and payable from Wannab850 to the seller in the sum of $2,500.00 with respect to the account, as of 3/18/14, there being no known un-credited payments, counterclaims or offsets against this account at the date of its sale.

Account holders name: Wannab850

Account holders last 4 digits of ssn: 1234

Date account opened provided by seller: 7/29/07

Balance at date of PRA purchase: $2,500.00

Interest: 0.00

Costs and other fees: 0.00

Total balance : $2,500.00

Please contact us if you would like to receive a payment history of payments that have been posted to this account since our company purchased this account.

I don't believe they need to provide all that in response to a DV. Did you send the DV to the OC or the CA?

you can make them do this in court if you're sued, but it's not the FDCPA validation requirement.

State laws govern licensing may apply - BUT ONLY IF YOUR STATE REQUIRES JDB'S TO BE LICENSED AS DEBT COLLECTORS. (ohio doesn't )

Letter I received yesterday - following dispute:

Dear Wannab850

RE: Verification Information: Concerning PRA, LLC

Seller: Citibank

Original Creditor: Citibank

The following information is being provided in response to your recent communication concerning the account referenced above. Account number xxxxxx and it proceeds were sold, assigned and transferred by the seller to PRA on 3/18/14.. At the time of the sale the seller provided an electronic file of ists business records concerning this account. According to the seller's records, there was due and payable from Wannab850 to the seller in the sum of $2,500.00 with respect to the account, as of 3/18/14, there being no known un-credited payments, counterclaims or offsets against this account at the date of its sale.

Account holders name: Wannab850

Account holders last 4 digits of ssn: 1234

Date account opened provided by seller: 7/29/07

Balance at date of PRA purchase: $2,500.00

Interest: 0.00

Costs and other fees: 0.00

Total balance : $2,500.00

Please contact us if you would like to receive a payment history of payments that have been posted to this account since our company purchased this account.

I see they didn't give you the DOFD or DOLA or the charge off date...... you need to ask them that.

SOL in Ohio is 6 years, borrowing statute applies, but believe Citi is in a 6 year SOL state too, so it wouldn't make any difference.

Just reviewed my credit report - Portfolio (after my dispute) reported to Experian (only one so far) and their note in the comment section is as follows:

"completed investigation of FCRA dispute - consumer disagrees"

How should I respond to this?

If your lucky (and you probably are) they won't be able to come with your DOFD and they will send you a "in the spirit of good custmomer service..." letter, like they did me and cease collections and delete the TL. It took me several tries, but it is GONE!

You've got this! You'll find a way. :grin:

Just reviewed my credit report - Portfolio (after my dispute) reported to Experian (only one so far) and their note in the comment section is as follows:

are they reporting the DOFD yet?

dispute again Jack attack with the CRA.

are they reporting the DOFD yet? NO

dispute again Jack attack with the CRA. - ok will do

Thanks!

you can make them do this in court if you're sued, but it's not the FDCPA validation requirement.

State laws govern licensing may apply - BUT ONLY IF YOUR STATE REQUIRES JDB'S TO BE LICENSED AS DEBT COLLECTORS. (ohio doesn't )

soorry- my bad.. but I always ask for it anyway... and they usually fold...

UPDATE

They are really starting to tick me off.... They keep sending the same letter with no other information. Tried Jack Attack - haven't heard anything back yet.

Ughhh

have you disputed with the CRA's?

information is so incomplete as to be inaccurate, please advise the DOFD and the fall off date on the account, it is not listed.

If the OC is reporting DOFD on your reports PRA will just soft you and get this information.

They did it with me.

yeah, but they were supposed ot be reporting it all this time and haven't.

unfortunately I didnt have any proof that they werent reporting originally. I didnt have a hard copy of my reports nor did I take a screen shot.

So OP I suggest you take a screen shot or get a hard copy of your report before you call them out for not reporting DOFD. Otherwise they will do to you what they did to me.

have you disputed with the CRA's?

information is so incomplete as to be inaccurate, please advise the DOFD and the fall off date on the account, it is not listed.

Yes - waiting on the response now

UPDATE

They are really starting to tick me off.... They keep sending the same letter with no other information. Tried Jack Attack - haven't heard anything back yet.

Ughhh

This a common tactic with them.

UPDATE

Ughhh

This a common tactic with them.

Has anyone found anything that does work?

In reviewing my TU CR the date of 1st delinquency is on the report - Date of 1st delinquency 10/2011

Account History with Status Coded 01/2011. So which is it? 01/2011 or 10/2011?

The last post in this topic was posted 2379 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.