Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Zombie Debt - Is it legal for CA to report it to CRA's

The last post in this topic was posted 2365 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I have been trying to get a correct, legal answer to this question. I have several zombie TL's on my reports which come back verified (thanks Experian and Equifax). Various online sites say reporting zombie debt (debt known to be outside of the statute of limitations) is illegal, while other sites that debt can remain on credit reports for 7 years.

Is there a straightforward answer to this?

Thanks.

I have been trying to get a correct, legal answer to this question. I have several zombie TL's on my reports which come back verified (thanks Experian and Equifax). Various online sites say reporting zombie debt (debt known to be outside of the statute of limitations) is illegal, while other sites that debt can remain on credit reports for 7 years.

Is there a straightforward answer to this?

Thanks.

SOLs for suit defenses are set by the states and are usually under 7 years. Reporting SOLs apply to the reporting of negative credit items and are 7 years for most negatives. They are completely different.

This is the federal law that regulates and establishes reporting SOLs. A few states impose smaller reporting limits for certain kinds of debts.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcradoc.pdf

Edited by cashnocredit

Don't confuse collections SOL with reporting SOL. They can legally report it up to 7.5 years from the DOFD. Usually it's easy to get it deleted earlier.

BTW, zombie debt is a term used to describe debts past both of these SOL.

Edited by mendelssohn

Thanks Mendelssohn,

I thought Zombie debt was debt beyond SOL. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks Mendelssohn,

I thought Zombie debt was debt beyond SOL. Thanks for the clarification.

It is, but the debt you are referring to is not beyond the reporting SOL.

thanks funkiehouse. very straightforward.

but now i'm at a loss as to how to get these CA's off my report. One idea I have is to dispute to the CRA's that the amount is wrong as there is interest being charged. I live in Florida.

Do you know if it's against the law for CA to respond to a dispute and NOT state they will not sue due to debt being time barred? Also, must they delete if the CRA verifies but the CA doesn't indicate the TL is disputed by consumer?

Thanks.

The last post in this topic was posted 2365 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By anthrilliel
      So here is our timeline...

OC: Cap One

3/6/2008 opened
      5/2008 DOFD
      11/2008 C/O

<Account opened, used, charged off in FL. SOL went past while a resident of FL (4y)>
      <Moved to in AFTER all the above and SOL is still past in IN (6y)>

10/08/14 Sent the first letter to CRAs mentioning the OC and the CA account ( http://whychat.5u.com/initdispltrsol.html )
      10/16/14 TU deleted everything (yay)
      10/17/14 EX removed only the OC
      10/27/14 EQ removed only the OC

10/27/14 Sent the letter to the CA ( http://whychat.5u.com/nottoca.html )
      10/30/14 It was received

11/01/14 <------ LVNV updated the EQ file and also added about 8$ to the total

11/03/14 The second round of letters went to the two CRAs ( http://whychat.5u.com/nottoca.html#FOLLOW )
      11/07/14 They were delivered

11/20/14 <------ LVNV updated the EX file and also added about 8$ to the total

Should I send another letter to LVNV?

• By nikkih901
      Good Evening.

First, I'd like to say how thankful I am that I found this site. All this time, I've thought the SOL for Tennessee is 7 years. I have been patiently awaiting January 2015 to file a dispute to have 2 medical accounts removed from my CBR. However, I just found out the SOL is actually 6 years in TN. A few years ago, I disputed them a few years ago with the CA and they never responded. I forgot about them until I recently received copies of my reports.

Does anyone advise that I go directly to the EQ and TU website to dispute the accounts or is it imperative that I follow the SOL program instructions on this site? The following accounts are being reported to EQ and TU only (the info is the same on each report). Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Date Reported: 03/2013 Date Assigned: 12/2009 Creditor Classification: Medical/Health Care Creditor Name: BMH MEMPHIS Accounts Number: 76XXXX Account Owner: Individual Account. Original Amount Owned: $109 Date of 1 st Delinquency: 06/2009 Balance Date: 03/2013 Balance Owned: $109 Last Payment Date : N/A Status Date: 03/2013 Status: D - Unpaid Comments: Medical  
      Date Reported: 03/2013 Date Assigned: 02/2009 Creditor Classification: Medical/Health Care Creditor Name: BMH MEMPHIS Accounts Number: 72XXXX Account Owner: Individual Account. Original Amount Owned: $530 Date of 1 st Delinquency: 09/2008 Balance Date: 03/2013 Balance Owned: $534 Last Payment Date : 11/01/2010 Status Date: 03/2013 Status: D - Unpaid Comments: Medical  
    • By BJKill
      This may provide some ammo to fight charge-off status still reporting on discharged debt.
      I just saw where one of my discharged debts had been sold after my BK 7. Couldn't figure out why. This is probably the reason.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/debts-canceled-by-bankruptcy-still-mar-consumer-credit-scores/?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
    • By kathryn99
      My apologies if this gets long. In 2003 we had a boat reposed. We had been paying a small amount each month towards the balance that was left after they sold it (which was a lot over $10,000). We were doing this through an autopay. There was a mishap in the autopay and it hadn't been coming out. Now this balance has been turned over to a collection agency (Mountain State Adjustment if anyone is familiar). I talked to them for the first time today and they want $12,900. I cannot even imagine there was that much left on the balance so I am not sure where that number is coming from. I was planning to send a validation of debt letter. Is that the right course to take here. They are expecting me to call them back on Friday. I told them we don't have access to that kind of cash. He said they pulled our credit report and it is good enough we should be able to get a loan. I am also wondering if this is outside the statute of limitations for my state. I looked it up and it appears to be 6 years for written contracts. What are your suggestions. The guy on the phone was very rude.

Thank you in advance.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Dawan
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines