Discover "It" Card....good/bad?

The last post in this topic was posted 2651 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a Discover secured card and it seems cool. It has no Annual fee and they waive your first late fee. You get 1% cash back. Sounds like you didn't get the secured card though. I don't know much about credit cards im new here but I set up automatic payment so I will never pay late(My bank account balance is high enough there is nothing to worry about).

If you want some real rewards you can probably find a better card. Thats my 2 cents.

the It card does not suck but I see no reason a person would want it other than the free FICO (but there are better options for this). I applied and got the It card and regret IT. low limit, low rewards caps, and ugly design. was not worth it for me.

the It card does not suck but I see no reason a person would want it other than the free FICO (but there are better options for this). I applied and got the It card and regret IT. low limit, low rewards caps, and ugly design. was not worth it for me.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I'll stick to using my Chase Freedom for now until im ready to apply for an Amex

The free FICI is great if you don't already get it elsewhere. Some of the 5% categories are useful, but they top out at $1500 spend ($75 cash back) per quarter. They discontinued virtual account #s. :( It comes in a nice box.

The quarterly categories are generally much broader than the Chase Freedom, the purchase protections (return, extended warranty, etc) as outlined in the T&C's are really good, no foreign transaction fees.

I've never used the protections but I'm sure they make you jump through a lot of hoops, the no FTF is really only good in China, the cash back redemption threshold is really high at $50.

I say the card is worth getting, though.

Edited by Chupacabras

Discover is great. They have the partner gift cards which are usually 20% savings for using your cashback. Plus they have 5% categories, Shopdiscover is always great to have and use, up to 20% back sometimes. And they have balance transfer offers all the time. CLI isn't too hard. Its one of those cards you must have if you like to get deals.

Discover is great. They have the partner gift cards which are usually 20% savings for using your cashback. Plus they have 5% categories, Shopdiscover is always great to have and use, up to 20% back sometimes. And they have balance transfer offers all the time. CLI isn't too hard. Its one of those cards you must have if you like to get deals.

Sometimes they even actually PAY what they promise!

that sight is not any better, on average, than ebates. the 5% categories are often worthless such as this quarter. I never should have gotten IT.

that sight is not any better, on average, than ebates. the 5% categories are often worthless such as this quarter. I never should have gotten IT.

ebates plus Amex SPG equals 6.5% return on my Galaxy Tab Pro from Abt. Beat Discover and I don't have to worry about whether I'll get what is due.

I dunno, I constantly find awesome deals on slickdeals that always get sweeter with having a discovercard and using shopdiscover or the 5% categories. walmart, etc. I got soo much cashback I dunno what to do with it.

most of the high % shopdiscover are useless to me; magazines.com?????

I dunno, I constantly find awesome deals on slickdeals that always get sweeter with having a discovercard and using shopdiscover or the 5% categories. walmart, etc. I got soo much cashback I dunno what to do with it.

That's invaluable for us when we renew our subscription to Grit every year.

To each his own. I carry 8 cash back/points/miles cards in my wallet, and Discover IT is one of them. I've utilized the 5% CB well so far this year, FICO, Shop Discover is a good feature, no AF, and I'll earn $700 CB from them in Sept. with the targeted recent promotion. I estimate that I will be just short of $1k cash back for the year with Discover. My other cards get used too, but Discover has its place.

Its been a good card so far for me... but as far as it being one of their lower end cards, if you look on their website.... its the only one they offer now albeit with different flavors such as student, etc.

Discover only has lower-end cards.

I was curious if this is a decent card or one of Discovers "lower end" cards?

You have to determine how well it fits your own needs/wants. I find it useful for its 5% categories. The TU FICO didn't bowl me over but it doesn't hurt. YMMV.

I see no reason a person would want it other than the free FICO (but there are better options for this)

Such as? And what makes them better?

Edited by takeshi

Its been a good card so far for me... but as far as it being one of their lower end cards, if you look on their website.... its the only one they offer now albeit with different flavors such as student, etc.

Discover only has lower-end cards.

?

Any basis in fact?

Fact: Discover card rewards aren't very good and on top of it they have low cap thresholds, compared to other rewards cards.

Fact: Discover isn't as widely accepted as other cards, such as those with Visa or Mastercard logos.

Fact: They don't capitalize the i or the t in the Discovery IT card

Fact: Discover used to use double-cycle billing until the Credit CARD Act of 2009 was passed and they had to stop.

The last post in this topic was posted 2651 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.