My Credit Journey - Insights Welcome

The last post in this topic was posted 2686 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

It WARMS my heart to see your progress. Another example of how hard work and diligence totally pays off on CB. Congratulations! Keep up the awesome work! :yahoo:

Thanks - I'm thoroughly enjoying reading about your progress, too!

Side note: I now see that TU is reporting a $3k limit for the BR CC - nice :)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...

I received a perfunctory email from the CFPB regarding EQ's bogus claim that they verified the 30-day late on my Capital Bank account. I really want to see EQ nailed for this. But because I ALSO got a letter from Capital Bank that basically says, yes, we sent EQ notice that we deleted your 30-day late and here's the reference number to PROVE it, I felt I needed to give Melody over at EQ a call and let her know that I've got them dead to rights. I had to leave a message though because Melody must be out getting coffee.

I kind of want to wait so that the CFPB can kick their flowers just a little bit but I really want this off my credit report, too...

ALSO...

There were only two department store CCs I still really wanted, (Ann Taylor & Target) so I got on the PATH train and headed over to Target in New Jersey and BOOM! Another $3k I can add to my credit lines. And THIS time I actually had no doubt the approval would go through. Not a smidge. And lo and behold - it did. I can't even believe I've now got over $12k in credit lines !!!

All in all, not a bad day.

I really MUST follow up with the NYAG regarding the NY 5 year rule and my WF account and EX. I know, I know, folks are saying there is a precedent allowing for the fed law to override the state law, but honestly I don't think that is constitutional. We'll see.

Quick update: just spoke with Melody at EQ and she said that they've received my CFPB and that a different department is now handling the dispute (she gave me the name and number of the woman to contact) Buuuuut, I'm going to sit this out for now and see what the CFPB does. I'd like to know if they resolve this satisfactorily - particularly after all the hubbub on another thread regarding the CFPB being overloaded with too many frivolous complaints, etc. (Mine is by no means frivolous and I've got the documentation to show that EQ is in the wrong.)

It will be satisfying to see EQ get their knuckles rapped because of my complaint.

Edited by bravegirl
Quick update: just spoke with Melody at EQ and she said that they've received my CFPB and that a different department is now handling the dispute (she gave me the name and number of the woman to contact) Buuuuut, I'm going to sit this out for now and see what the CFPB does. I'd like to know if they resolve this satisfactorily - particularly after all the hubbub on another thread regarding the CFPB being overloaded with too many frivolous complaints, etc. (Mine is by no means frivolous and I've got the documentation to show that EQ is in the wrong.)

It will be satisfying to see EQ get their knuckles rapped because of my complaint.

Be nice now.

Also puzzled by certain CBers who routinely lord it over other posters by being critical and dismissive. Clearly they know it ALL. It's easy to be a bully in an anonymous online forum. Still, it saddens me on some levels. They must be very unhappy individuals - disconnected from themselves and others - to behave that way. They're probably nursing some pretty deep wounds of rejection and abandonment. This forum may be the only place in their lives where they feel a sense of control. Ah well, bless 'em. Ignoring their behavior is easy enough.

Be nice now.

Also puzzled by certain CBers who routinely lord it over other posters by being critical and dismissive. Clearly they know it ALL. It's easy to be a bully in an anonymous online forum. Still, it saddens me on some levels. They must be very unhappy individuals - disconnected from themselves and others - to behave that way. They're probably nursing some pretty deep wounds of rejection and abandonment. This forum may be the only place in their lives where they feel a sense of control. Ah well, bless 'em. Ignoring their behavior is easy enough.

Hello TX. I don't think asking questions and getting answers constitutes NOT being nice. I'm not going to apologize for asking questions. I think that if someone has a real concern they're not going to feel any better if they simply worry - worry is wasted energy. I'd rather ask the appropriate questions of the appropriate people and get the information I need to take appropriate action. I don't see the point in jumping to conclusions.

Hope you're enjoying your day - I lived in Dallas for a few years. Lovely place, lovely people.

Happy to hear about your Target card. I'm considering opening one of those for the free shipping. Did you get a REDcard store card or something fancier I haven't heard of yet?

Thank you, Mister Potter! I haven't gotten a "store" card anywhere I've applied, actually - it's always a V/MC/AE card with the store logo on it...? Back in the day (and this will tell you how long it's been since I've possessed a card from a department store) the cards were department store cards and NOT V/MC/AE.

So in my mind the MC IS fancier...?

So the answer to your question is - - - I have absolutely no idea! ;) I do know I get a 5% discount on every purchase. I haven't gotten the card and related materials in the mail yet to find out more, but when I do I'll update regarding any additional specialness.

I'm trying to choose which TLs to open and thanks to CB I get to app for things I'll only really use. The Target store card has free shipping with no minimum order size from the web site and 5% off all purchases. Hmm... Sounds like I'm trying to sell myself on it. So, you get 5% discount, probably get the free shipping too.

I'm trying to choose which TLs to open and thanks to CB I get to app for things I'll only really use. The Target store card has free shipping with no minimum order size from the web site and 5% off all purchases. Hmm... Sounds like I'm trying to sell myself on it. So, you get 5% discount, probably get the free shipping too.

Ooh - free shipping! I didn't bother to read anything on the card before applying. I just knew a Target card would come in handy. The 5% back I only just found out about on CB the other day. I'm expecting several new cards in the mail so my plan is to read all the literature when I receive them.

I would suggest just opening cards at places you like to shop. I see so many people opening cards with obscure retailers like FingerHut (to me it's obscure anyway, because I've never once bought anything from them).

My intention is to use my cash back rewards card at any store because that's easiest for me to use and PIF. But having the store cards for the places I shop ensures I won't miss out on any sales or coupons and all of that stuff.

For instance, Macy's is always having great sales and special discounts for card holders. I'm not a big shopper but this can help me better plan my purchases. A good example of this is the Bloomingdale's friends and family sale that happens twice a year. I've had my eye on a gorgeous Mackage coat for the last couple of years but was never prepared for the sale! So now I'll be able to go into the store during the sale, open a card and get an additional percentage off their already amazing sale price which will equal a huge savings for me on an item I've been planning to buy for a while.

So I've gotten most of the store cards out in my month-long apping spree. In six months when the accounts have aged, I'll apply for the bigger cards with NASA CU and DCU and CareCredit. That's my plan, anyway.

Edited by bravegirl

Congrats on your progress.

You can get free EQ FICO through DCU if you have a checking account with them. There are a couple other requirements as well (don't remember off the top of my head) but you don't need a credit product. At least, it wasn't required when I signed up 18 months ago.

Congrats on your progress.

You can get free EQ FICO through DCU if you have a checking account with them. There are a couple other requirements as well (don't remember off the top of my head) but you don't need a credit product. At least, it wasn't required when I signed up 18 months ago.

Thanks, Chugs. And thanks for the tip on the EQ FICO with DCU. I'm contemplating opening a business account with them - that, plus a CC, should do it. How often do they update FICO? I'm so looking forward to seeing my new Walmart TU FICO in a few days.

So this morning there was a "happy little bump" of 33 points in my CK FAKO - which gives me a new FAKO rating of EXCELLENT. I shall see how this translates into FICO numbers when Walmart updates in a few days.

Bob_at_Easel_zpsf2a2a9d0.jpg

PLUS...

Got my BR CC in the mail yesterday, along with an offer of $30 if I used the card outside of BR in the first 30 days - which meant dinner at the Korean BBQ place last night was FREE! I'm liking the advantages that come with having good credit :)

ALSO...
I'd gotten a call from a CBE Group - actually I've gotten dozens and dozens of these calls but this time they actually responded when I answered the phone. They are indeed a collection agency and they were calling regarding a balance of $36.27 from my last PG&E account in San Francisco. PG&E doesn't think it's necessary to inform you that they'll be sending you one last bill when you call them to cancel service - despite the fact that you pay a balance when closing the account that you believe is final.

Anyway, I wasn't even sure if this was a valid debt so this morning I called PG&E and they were so kind as to allow me to pay and now I don't have to worry about that showing up on my credit report ever. I still need to call back in three hours to ensure they contact CBE Group to let them know they can stop collection actions - I'd forgotten about the three hour time difference!

Edited by bravegirl

EQ is sooooo close to being clean. But I'm trying not to get ahead of myself.

They still show my Wells Fargo CO as simply Charged Off with no mention of Paid in any way. The account was paid in settlement. I need to make sure it states PAID (in some way) so that I can invoke the NY 5 year rule. I'd called WF a month ago to ask them to do this but as of today it's still not showing up as Paid on my EQ report.

So....

Just got off the phone with Jeff at Wells Fargo. He said that they forced an update back in May when I'd called telling EQ the account was PAID (woohoo) of course EQ is lagging. Jeff said he'd force the update again and is also sending me a letter that I can use to dispute the TL.

One thing I've learned about credit repair is that if you understand the law and get your steps straight, you have a much better chance of success.

Overall a clean EQ report is taking longer than I expected. They still haven't deleted the 30-day late for Capital bank despite the CFPB complaint and and the documentation that proves it. When I receive the letter I'll do a written dispute.

When EQ is clean I can live with freezing EX for 2 years (but I'd reather the NYAG comes through for me and deletes the WF TL).

Overall mood today - pretty great! TU FICO is 774 and my updated CLs come are now $14,850.

I intend to take the crown for CLI Queen.

Edited by bravegirl

Since I'm going to have a procedure done in the next 12 months I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and apply for Care Credit.

I asked for $30k and got $10k. So considering that one month ago I had TLs totally about $2,250, I'm very happy with my current CL amount.

Not bad for a day's work :)

Edited by bravegirl

Still waiting on the CFPB to make EQ remove the 30 day late from my report but it seems to result in nothing more than another EQ "investigation" with EQ interminably passing the buck back to the OC saying they updated the incorrect information.

EQ also seems to have adopted EX's take on the NY 5 year rule, telling me that federal law supersedes state law regarding my WF paid charge off.

Would really like to know what my EQ FICO is so that I can see how much a 5 year old paid charge off is hurting my score. Signed up for DCU's FICO score but have yet to find out what my score IS. Evidently - from other threads I've found - they don't provide a handy link, a la Walmart, but send an internal message to one's inbox. Weird. Their website is extremely wonky as well. So far each time I've logged in their services don't seem to be working. Lame. After all, they are the DIGITAL credit union. You'd think their website would be extremely functional compared to their non-digital competitors.

Edited by bravegirl

After all, they are the DIGITAL credit union. You'd think their website would be extremely functional compared to their non-digital competitors.

This was MY expectation initially as well. I was SEVERELY disappointed!! They must have designed their website on a Commodore 64. :blink::lol:

C64c_system.jpg

After all, they are the DIGITAL credit union. You'd think their website would be extremely functional compared to their non-digital competitors.

This was MY expectation initially as well. I was SEVERELY disappointed!! They must have designed their website on a Commodore 64. :blink::lol:

C64c_system.jpg

YES!! Buhaha. User experience and visual design on DCU site is the pits!! Also, all my messages come up as a PDF...not sure if it is because I am on a Mac or what. Annoying.

Happy to hear about your Target card. I'm considering opening one of those for the free shipping. Did you get a REDcard store card or something fancier I haven't heard of yet?

Finally got the card in the mail and it is NOT a visa but in fact, a plain old red card, nothing fancy.

Finally got the card in the mail and it is NOT a visa but in fact, a plain old red card, nothing fancy.

Thanks for the update. I was going to look for the Target Visa for my next app spree. Saved me a snipe hunt.

Hello Bravegirl, its MizLiz1011- still no word from AG here. Attorney working on Citi, have offered to make a deal with Exterminator bill after showing them that in one try I found a missed payment that they didn't record... we shall see...

also, see my thread on Dell. I think that I am going to offer to PFD the amount charged in Jan/ 2009. Last payment 10/11/08... I don't want to pay the interest that bumps it up from $182 to 429. They are like a TICK... I need to get rid of them. NYS tax lien is OFF the registry, now to get it vacated on CRA's...Except for my mortgage and three on EX that are 5 year rule, I will be CLEAN...with no credit. but getting a secured credit card and a $2500 credit builder term loan from UPennFCU. Got the DCU with a saving account and a $5 checking, no fees, get EQ FICO. still waiting, card just opened last week.

Getting impatient, tried LC for $1,000 loan, soft pull. denied. sort of took the wind out of my sails. Will wait for history with Upenn... need to get some CL'sand to get my mortgage resolved , if I can find someone to take the money. No one knows who owns the deed. Simply LOVELY. and the AG.... I need some love, fast.

The last post in this topic was posted 2686 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.