My Credit Journey - Insights Welcome

The last post in this topic was posted 2686 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I would say PayPal over Macy's/Bloomies because you can apply for the MC and if not qualified they give you the smartconnect account, and let's be honest... Who doesn't use PayPal several times a year at LEAST these days? If you got approved for Walmart you will probabyget approved for PP as they are both GECRB. They pull only TU (see B*), grow well with you, and can be pretty generous to a lot of people. Think it over before pulling the trigger :grin:

You can also connect the SmartConnect to a PayPal Debit Mastercard and it pretty much becomes a credit card for you at that point. Your debit card is funded by the SC credit line.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So checked via Experian's back door and while the new Walmart card is reporting, the 30-Day Late has not been deleted.

I haven't received the green slip from Experian or Equifax yet so I'll check both in a couple of days.

Received a response to my DV letter from the collection agency for my former landlord. They sent a nonsense tally but lo and behold - they reduced the amount from $4k to $1k. In fact, this new total exactly matches the itemized list of late fees (illegal in California) that my landlord gave me upon moving out.

Filing law suite this week. This is going to be fun! I'm literally rubbing my hands together in anticipation. I can't wait to see what I can go after the CA for.

It may take up to 30 days for the late to be removed. It will be sent through the next time Cap1 reports to that CRA. You can check your reports to see when they reported last month to give you a guideline (see "last updated") and then if it hasn't updated by that date next cycle, you might want to get it in writing from them and send a copy directly to the CRAs.

Once your EX is updated you can send a letter to Chase referencing your application number for the Amazon card and ask for reconsideration.

You're making excellent progress. Congrats!

(Also - from what I have read on the boards the DCU secured card will not convert. Not sure if you are thinking of apping for that or for their regular card. It will be another hard, either way.)

Are you using the credit pulls database to inform your application decisions?

You can also connect the SmartConnect to a PayPal Debit Mastercard and it pretty much becomes a credit card for you at that point. Your debit card is funded by the SC credit line.

This is good to know. Thanks!

Edited by bravegirl

So checked via Experian's back door and while the new Walmart card is reporting, the 30-Day Late has not been deleted.

I haven't received the green slip from Experian or Equifax yet so I'll check both in a couple of days.

Received a response to my DV letter from the collection agency for my former landlord. They sent a nonsense tally but lo and behold - they reduced the amount from $4k to $1k. In fact, this new total exactly matches the itemized list of late fees (illegal in California) that my landlord gave me upon moving out.

Filing law suite this week. This is going to be fun! I'm literally rubbing my hands together in anticipation. I can't wait to see what I can go after the CA for.

It may take up to 30 days for the late to be removed. It will be sent through the next time Cap1 reports to that CRA. You can check your reports to see when they reported last month to give you a guideline (see "last updated") and then if it hasn't updated by that date next cycle, you might want to get it in writing from them and send a copy directly to the CRAs. She'd told me they'd report it that night but so far I see it's only come off EX. EQ shows it's in dispute and it's no showing up under negative accounts at the moment.

Once your EX is updated you can send a letter to Chase referencing your application number for the Amazon card and ask for reconsideration. Definitely will do this

You're making excellent progress. Congrats! Thank you!

(Also - from what I have read on the boards the DCU secured card will not convert. Not sure if you are thinking of apping for that or for their regular card. It will be another hard, either way.) No more secured cards for me. I'm waiting until fall to apply for more and they will all be regular cards through the CUs I've joined.

Are you using the credit pulls database to inform your application decisions? I have been - but just for information. I'm still not where I want to be score-wise to go on an app spree.

Edited by bravegirl

Don't apply for any more store cards. Just continue using what you have and pay on time.

Continue working on your negatives and try to get them all deleted.

In 6 months, you will be able to get unsecured rewards cards fairly easily.

Don't apply for any more store cards. Just continue using what you have and pay on time.

Continue working on your negatives and try to get them all deleted.

In 6 months, you will be able to get unsecured rewards cards fairly easily.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks :)

Fab, Fab, FAB!

Enhanced Recovery does indeed, fold! Checked EX backdoor today and it's gone !!! :yahoo:

Still showing up on Credit Karma, and I can't check TU backdoor because they've locked me out due to my current online dispute with them (never again!). Never reported to EQ in the first place.

Just waiting to for Wells Fargo to be cut due to the NY 5 year rule and First Premier for reaching the 7 yr mark and the Public Savings acct should be deleted as well as it was a duplicate reporting of my Cap Bank acct.

If all goes to plan I'll have a totally spotless EX and 18% UT! Will recon with Chase (pulls EX) and hopefully will have an Amazon card by the end of the month. Wish me luck!

Edited by bravegirl

Fab, Fab, FAB!

Enhanced Recovery does indeed, fold! Checked EX backdoor today and it's gone !!! :yahoo:

Still showing up on Credit Karma, and I can't check TU backdoor because they've locked me out due to my current online dispute with them (never again!). Never reported to EQ in the first place.

Just waiting to for Wells Fargo to be cut due to the NY 5 year rule and First Premier for reaching the 7 yr mark and the Public Savings acct should be deleted as well as it was a duplicate reporting of my Cap Bank acct.

If all goes to plan I'll have a totally spotless EX and 18% UT! Will recon with Chase (pulls EX) and hopefully will have an Amazon card by the end of the month. Wish me luck!

Awesome job!! You are rocking your way through this thing!

Might want to check out the $9.95/month threads for SCP. You will want it at some point anyway for TU B* and it updates daily rather than weekly (or whenever it wants) CK.

Pardon the question, but what is SCP?

Might want to check out the $9.95/month threads for SCP. You will want it at some point anyway for TU B* and it updates daily rather than weekly (or whenever it wants) CK.

smartcredit premium $10 a month

smartcredit premium $10 a month

Got it. Thanks.

As I read the scores of threads on these boards I admit to being a bit flummoxed. I'm finding that lots of folks - folks with way more delinquencies than me - have significantly higher scores than me. Even peeps with BK have much higher scores than me.

Frustrating.

Still, I've been working the plan. Got my UT down to under 20% and waiting to hear back on disputes for the last couple of negs on all 3 reports. I obtained my last FICO score of 600 when I was at 64% UT and since then my only collection and my only late pay have been removed so we'll see how I do with FICO when Walmart updates at the end of the month.

Still waiting for First Premier CO, duplicate Public Savings 30-day late and Wells Fargo CO to be deleted. Then my reports will be PRISTINE.

So, what will be my immediate next steps? I've found lots of advice on the boards to avoid "toy card hell." In light of that advice, my next major goal is to be approved for a card with a CL of at least $5k. As you know, I recently got the CapOne Platinum for $1k but I'm learning that $1k is considered toy status. My $600 Walmart CL will continue to grow through the years so I'm not concerned with holding that card for a good, long time.

To better my chances of getting a healthier CL with my next app I'm going to utilize my secured OpenSky by increasing my security deposit with them from $1850 to $5k - their highest limit. It will take me a bit of time to do this, a few months at least, but from what I've read on the boards, the higher CL will go a long way in helping me get what I want. I can also apply for a $3k loan from one of the CUs I've joined and use that to subsidize the increase. And when, in a couple of years, I've built a healthy stable of cards in the $5-$20k range, I can cancel OpenSky and use the $5k refund as part of a down payment on a home.

Any thoughts?

Edited by bravegirl

1K is not "toycard". The rest of your plan sounds great. But you gotta keep utl between 1-9%. Hang in there, before you know it your report will be clean and scores will skyrocket!

Edited by BDK

1K is not "toycard". The rest of your plan sounds great. But you gotta keep utl between 1-9%. Hang in there, before you know it your report will be clean and scores will skyrocket!

Thanks for the encouragement! So, to get to 8% UT I need to pay down my OpenSky card by $500. That's doable in the next week or so. After that it's simply a matter of paying down the balance on my rewards card as I add charges.

I'm so impatient to see my score increase and to finally move from poor/fair credit to GOOD credit! It's been a long, LONG time coming.

Edited by bravegirl

Holy Crap.

I just received a response from Enhanced Recovery regarding the Comcast CA that I disputed. They sent me documentation, all right. A bill from 2008!

B***ards.

I'm so thankful for these boards. And I feel sorry for those people who aren't familiar with the law who might be too afraid to dispute something like this and actually PAY these bottom feeders.

SO happy I know better.

"Please be advised we have reported this debt to consumer reporting agencies, but in acknowledgement of your dispute, we have requested the account be removed from all credit reporting agencies."

Credit reform and consumer protection has got a long way to go.

On a side note, I ordered Steve Katz's Bill-Collector Confidential to see what he's got to say about it. He'll have some good info on the lawsuit I'm filing against a certain CA that shall not be named at this time.

Don't bother increasing your OpenSky deposit to $5,000.

Continue cleaning up your CR.

Pay down your balances. Let only 1 card report a small balance ($10-20) and the rest ZERO.

Once CR are clean and utilization has been optimized and reflected on CR, call up GECRB underwriter and ask for CLI to $25,000 on Walmart card. Yes, $25K.

Don't bother increasing your OpenSky deposit to $5,000.

Continue cleaning up your CR.

Pay down your balances. Let only 1 card report a small balance ($10-20) and the rest ZERO.

Once CR are clean and utilization has been optimized and reflected on CR, call up GECRB underwriter and ask for CLI to $25,000 on Walmart card. Yes, $25K.

Chugs, I just fell out of my chair when I read what you wrote. Now that I'm firmly back in my seat, I have to ask: is it common for GECRB to grant a $25K increase on a Walmart card with a $600 CLI when the highest CL I hold otherwise is for $1850?? (I think I know where you're going with this but I very much want to hear more!)

And by the way, how many days does it take for CapOne to report a new credit TL to the CRAs? Sheesh! Still no sign of the new card OR the CLI for my existing card via the backdoor on EQ & EX.

Edited by bravegirl

Holy Crap.

I just received a response from Enhanced Recovery regarding the Comcast CA that I disputed. They sent me documentation, all right. A bill from 2008!

B***ards.

I'm so thankful for these boards. And I feel sorry for those people who aren't familiar with the law who might be too afraid to dispute something like this and actually PAY these bottom feeders.

SO happy I know better.

"Please be advised we have reported this debt to consumer reporting agencies, but in acknowledgement of your dispute, we have requested the account be removed from all credit reporting agencies."

Credit reform and consumer protection has got a long way to go.

Congrats! I have the same bill for Comcast as well as one from ATT from them I an getting ready to try to get rid of. What did you send them? I need these gone. I have 25 baddies to go.

Congrats! I have the same bill for Comcast as well as one from ATT from them I an getting ready to try to get rid of. What did you send them? I need these gone. I have 25 baddies to go.

I used WhyChat's simple DV letter. Worked like a charm. Good luck!

The last post in this topic was posted 2686 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.