Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

All your email will be content scanned. - Google's gmail

The last post in this topic was posted 2387 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Google's latest ToS addition:

Our automated systems analyze your content (including e-mails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection. This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received, and when it is stored

What should one expect from a company giving you fairly well everything which they do for free?

You do of course realize that /everything/ you look at or do on the internet could be and likely is being logged by your Internet Service Provider which will have access not only to the what data you are accessing, but the MAC address you accessed it in so, that freaky dirty vid that you downloaded last week and you don't want anyone to ever know you look at things like that? Yeah, your ISP not only knows you did it... But they know the exact computer you did it on.

And so does the NSA.

The intrusions of Google and Facebook are almost benign in comparison.

Have you ever noticed how when you are looking... say for a car online and then all of a sudden every internet page you view has car ads on it.

Well, it isn't that simple. Most people think of email as private and some ISPs treat it as such. OTOH, email can be retrieved by court order or an extra-judicial national security letter even from the most privacy respecting ISPs.

I don't generally care but there are a few places that confidentiality is important. Here's a few:

1. Business correspondence that includes stuff like employee files, bank files, law office emails, and such.

2. Non-public information on business merger and acquisitions that could benefit insider traders if leaked to outsiders that aren't barred from trading public equities.

3. Health records.

4. Personal family member matters.

I'm sure people can think of others.

I'm an investor/board member of a private company and email is the almost universal means of communication. While there are ways to both digitally sign and encrypt email I have yet to see many do it. For years I have had a VeriSign email certificate which is useful for digitally signing an email but it remains plain text unless the other party also has an email certificate which then allows the parties to encrypt their correspondence in addition to digitally signing the email.

I also own an apartment complex and would really like all the reports and tenant info sent by email to be encrypted but doing so is a royal PITA, especially for contractors such as outside accounting/law/construction/etc. types.

Within my own circle I generate a self-signed CA that gets installed in all the computer trust roots and make/issue each emailer an email certificate but that only is good for the peeps within my organization. OTOH, if others don't use certs then why the hell should I pay for an entity cert, put in place systems to secure it and issue sub certs, since the only benefit that I currently see is that outsiders can verify a signature?

BTW, if you encrypt email no-one else other than you and the recipients can read it even if it goes through gmail or your friendly, local, and possibly nosey ISP.

At least gmail is secured between you and their servers so your nosey ISP is locked out. Same with Hotmail. Email has been migrating away from plain text IP for a while but people on the endpoints can still read it.

Edited by cashnocredit

What your email address says about you.

@aol.com - I can use me the internets! I have had this email address for over a decade and I still don't know how the internet works. - Not generally held in high regard.

@yahoo.com - ... Oh, I remember Yahoo... I wonder what ever happened to them... - Generally ambivalent. No particularly high, low, or intermediate esteem. People tend to just shrug it off.

@gmail.com - Use to mean moderately tech savvy, now just means you are in the the crowd of people who use google for /everything/..... And yes, I shamefully fall into that category. - Original run of users seen as early adopters and trend setters... Now almost everyone has a gmail account.

@school.edu - Probably not monitored for marketing but may be monitored for security... You are currently, or have at some time been an educator, school administrator, or student of that school. You are probably keeping your address because having a .edu address does set you apart in a crowd if you are under 30. - Importance is relative. Though people tend to hold students and educators in high esteem.

@department.gov - Likely not monitored for marketing but likely monitored for security. You work for the government. - Perceived as generally important

@workplace.net .com .whatever - Probably not monitored for marketing but almost definitely monitored for security, Your work place has an email address they require you to use for all work related communications, and would prefer you not used for private communication. Do not diss your coworkers or employers on workplace email. - Perceived as generally important.

Me@MyDomaine.Whatever. - I am important enough to have my own email domain. - Perceived as important or very technically savvy.

If you really want privacy, get your own domain that you are entitled to monitor at your leisure. Or else here is a list of "Privacy Serious" email providers..

Edited by Echo_X

What your email address says about you.

@aol.com - I can use me the internets! I have had this email address for over a decade and I still don't know how the internet works. - Not generally held in high regard.

@yahoo.com - ... Oh, I remember Yahoo... I wonder what ever happened to them... - Generally ambivalent. No particularly high, low, or intermediate esteem. People tend to just shrug it off.

@gmail.com - Use to mean moderately tech savvy, now just means you are in the the crowd of people who use google for /everything/..... And yes, I shamefully fall into that category. - Original run of users seen as early adopters and trend setters... Now almost everyone has a gmail account.

@school.edu - Probably not monitored for marketing but may be monitored for security... You are currently, or have at some time been an educator, school administrator, or student of that school. You are probably keeping your address because having a .edu address does set you apart in a crowd if you are under 30. - Importance is relative. Though people tend to hold students and educators in high esteem.

@department.gov - Likely not monitored for marketing but likely monitored for security. You work for the government. - Perceived as generally important

@workplace.net .com .whatever - Probably not monitored for marketing but almost definitely monitored for security, Your work place has an email address they require you to use for all work related communications, and would prefer you not used for private communication. Do not diss your coworkers or employers on workplace email. - Perceived as generally important.

Me@MyDomaine.Whatever. - I am important enough to have my own email domain. - Perceived as important or very technically savvy.

If you really want privacy, get your own domain that you are entitled to monitor at your leisure. Or else here is a list of "Privacy Serious" email providers..

Love it!

Oh, and a yahoo.com email account means you are an important Nigerian banker or government official.

Edited by cashnocredit

that freaky dirty vid that you downloaded last week and you don't want anyone to ever know you look at things like that?

DD's girl scout

Like DD Girl Scouts?

The last post in this topic was posted 2387 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.