Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

girl's and tweens swim attire

The last post in this topic was posted 2389 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I really have never had any issue with little girls wearing bikinis. My daughter has had a few over her childhood....

But she is now 11 (12 in August) and I am wondering if it isn't time for more modest swim attire. She is starting to fill out a little up top (still not in a cup size thought) and I notice her waist whittling and her hips getting larger.....i.e., her body is maturing.
I kinda, sorta think she will be OK, maybe for one last 2 piece.....but I don't know. That is why I am asking for advice.
Obviously, my daughter is not old enough to be attracting boys....that will be sometime around when she is 35. :grin: so I don't want her wearing something that will unduly attract their attention.

I still remember - years ago - going on an office outing to the beach where parents brought their kids with them. My supervisor and his wife brought their teen daughter (probably 15 or 16). She was wearing a string bikini (and had the body for it), and guys on the beach took note of her...the mom got all sorts of pizzed and yelled at them for looking at her daughter..... But I am sort of the opinion that if you put it out there for people to see....they are going to look.... And if you let your daughter dress like that, then don't get offended when they do.

On a side note....my daughter is not allowed to wear a string bikini.

I have a 16 year old daughter, and I will still veto any swimsuits that are too skimpy. No tiny Victoria's Secret bikinis for her (although I let her wear their yoga pants, hoodies, etc). She does have a bikini, but it's fairly modest looking, as far as bikinis go.

I do agree with you about that girl and her mom - wow! What did she expect?!

I'm not beyond telling my daughter to put a cami on under a too low cut shirt, or vetoing any too short, too tight, or too low cut dresses.

I'm not a prude, but I do think it's a shame that so many clothes for even young preteens are designed to be so revealing.

if you let her wear Bikini's when she was little, she's not going to understand why she can't wear them now. ( I don't )

just keep her out of the skimpy ones, that she will probably understand.

I guess I don't understand why its ok when she is young but not ok as she gets older. You don't let her wear a string bikini now so don't let her wear one as she gets older but I see nothing wrong with a basic bikini. I don't see how showing your belly is any worse than what you'd see in a regular swimsuit.

I agree that you should let her keep wearing bikinis, but veto anything that is too overtly sexual. Chances are it won't even be an issue. Maybe the ones she picks out on her own will be more modest, anyway, so you won't have to veto anything at all. If she asks for a string bikini, just explain that they're not appropriate for young girls.

The last post in this topic was posted 2389 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.