Sign in to follow this  
swingline

Tempted by Crapital One 1.5% and $250 bonus offer

Just got a "preapproved" offer letter for a Crapital One card with a 1.5% cash back (unlimited), $250 bonus for $4500 in spending after 3 months, and no interest until October 2014.

I am tempted, except with Crapital One, I know just how this plays out. They do a couple of hard inquiries and then congratulate me on my new $500 limit, no cash rewards card -- because I don't qualify for the offer they preapproved me to get.

Sorry Crapital One, I pass.

Edited by swingline

I read last week about an email address to corporate office being shared that are getting people decent CLI with Cap1. If that makes a difference. I would link it but searching doesn't work very well on the app I use.

Edited by amandal0514

Unlike other banks, I've not known them to approve you for another card when applying for a specific one.

Unlike other banks, I've not known them to approve you for another card when applying for a specific one.

Well now you know. I can absolutely assure you that they bait and switch, and then stick people with a garbage card that is entirely different than the offer. It has happened to me and to friends and family with Crapital One.

$250 is definitely worth it for a credit card. My cutoff is $200, whenever I get offers of more than a $200 sign up bonus I seriously consider the new card. Freeze EX and you can B* the other two.

I can't even get pre-approved for a capital one card... but I got a barclays reward card at 0% apr and a hefty credit line... and I was discharged from bankruptcy September 2013. Why are you wasting your time on Capital One? Do you already have a Barclays card? Have they declined you? I'm just wondering why you are messing around with Capital One.

$250 isn't even worth it. I'd shred that offer now. :)

I can't even get pre-approved for a capital one card... but I got a barclays reward card at 0% apr and a hefty credit line... and I was discharged from bankruptcy September 2013. Why are you wasting your time on Capital One? Do you already have a Barclays card? Have they declined you? I'm just wondering why you are messing around with Capital One.

$250 isn't even worth it. I'd shred that offer now. :)

Your mad at capital one because you can't get their card... so everyone shouldn't? I fail to see the logical logic here. $250 is a significant offer. I would take it personally. And then plow it into my LC account. Which barclays card do you have that is so awesome.... because personally I'm not too thrilled with them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

$250 is definitely worth it for a credit card. My cutoff is $200, whenever I get offers of more than a $200 sign up bonus I seriously consider the new card. Freeze EX and you can B* the other two.

Yes, if you are the kind of person who runs a business or some such and can funnel, on average $1500 a month through this card.. I couldn't even meet this if I could somehow put my mortgage payment thru this way.

Maybe if you were planning some elaborate summer vacation?! Wait.. I'm not even spending 4500 going to Hawaii for 10 days this summer.

I'm sure lots of people spend $1500 a month on things they can put on a charge card, but I just laugh when I see stuff like this.

Well now you know. I can absolutely assure you that they bait and switch, and then stick people with a garbage card that is entirely different than the offer. It has happened to me and to friends and family with Crapital One.

Why not file an appeal with the CRA's and have the inquiries and account removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got a "preapproved" offer letter for a Crapital One card with a 1.5% cash back (unlimited), $250 bonus for $4500 in spending after 3 months, and no interest until October 2014.

I am tempted, except with Crapital One, I know just how this plays out. They do a couple of hard inquiries and then congratulate me on my new $500 limit, no cash rewards card -- because I don't qualify for the offer they preapproved me to get.

Sorry Crapital One, I pass.

You might be OK and get what they promise.. a lot of us that had HSBC Orchard cards got moved into 1.5% cash rewards card when Cap1 took our accounts. the 6 months at 0% is better than nothing, but lame all at the same time, lots of cards do at least 12 months, some 18 months

i have three Barclays cards. One with a $51,500 limit, one with a $3500 limit and another with a $2000 limit. So why would I be mad at Capital One? They can keep their cards and their small limits.

I'm saying... Barclays has been good to me.

I'm still waiting for the $51.5k to go away but it hasn't yet.

I can't spend 50k in any reasonable time frame and I haven't tried. I guess it looks good atm.

Yes, if you are the kind of person who runs a business or some such and can funnel, on average $1500 a month through this card.. I couldn't even meet this if I could somehow put my mortgage payment thru this way.

Maybe if you were planning some elaborate summer vacation?! Wait.. I'm not even spending 4500 going to Hawaii for 10 days this summer.

I'm sure lots of people spend $1500 a month on things they can put on a charge card, but I just laugh when I see stuff like this.

Manufactured spend

I'm not really messing with Crapital One -- they just sent me the offer via mail. I've got checking and savings accounts with Ing Direct, but I moved all the money out of them when Crapital One bought them.

Regarding the inquiries they've done in the past, they're finally off. But I hadn't though of disputing them before when they did the bait and switch on me in the past. That's good advice, thanks!