Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

VA Loan Underwriting Question

The last post in this topic was posted 2429 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I have a question about VA loans for any underwriters or lenders familiar with the process.

I see that VA guidelines require 12 months history on where you live. My husband has been in the military for a little over a year, so we have been on base housing and they simply take our BAH. If they need 24 months of history he lived in a house that is mortgaged by me before that.

I have a house in my name, and my name only. It's where we lived before he enlisted and it's currently a rental property. About 3 years ago we had an unexpected child. I had to stop working and I got behind on my mortgage (I was putting my husband through an internship he ended up having to abandon). I repeatedly tried to modify my loan, and my husband had quit his unpaid internship and got a new job. They refused to work with me to modify my loan until we were 3 months behind on payments. As a result we ended up constantly being about 1.5 months behind while we tried to save up to actually catch up. We had finally gotten to only about 3 weeks behind on payments when my husband's new company started going under and laying off everyone.

He ended up getting a new job while he worked on enlisting, but we ended up 3 months behind. They sent me a foreclosure notice, and we were able to fix it immediately due to his new job.

There has not been a late payment since October 2012 (18 months ago), when we finally caught up and stopped the foreclosure. It was not actually foreclosed on, just the proceedings started. He is not on the mortgage in any way, shape or form. He is the one applying for the VA loan, and I am not a co-signer.

I know VA loans require two years since an actual foreclosure, but the house was never foreclosed on and I still have it.

How will this affect the underwriting process? It does not affect his credit as it is not in his name.

Thanks for the help!

It will depend on the state - if you are in a community property state it may keep you from buying until 2 years out - if not ina community property state it shouldnt impact his ability to get a loan.

Only in a community property state is the spouses debt considered when they are not on the loan

As long as it is just in his name you should be fine

B

The last post in this topic was posted 2429 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By rob0225
      I'm looking for some info on VA second tier eligibility requirements.  I have a current home in Kentucky I used my basic eligibility on, that home is a rental now.  Work has moved me to Georgia and I'd like to purchase here.  Reading I have done says I may be eligible for another VA backed loan using second tier eligibility.  I'd like to discuss with an experienced VA Loan broker if possible.

I have good credit (over 730) and good income.

Thanks,

Robert
    • By TJSpends
      Beginning to home shop and going to go VA Loan.  Non-Married Partner is Eligible Vet.  Some unique circumstances though and hoping for some insight:

We are not married nor are our banking accounts tied
      He's the eligible Vet, I am not
      His income is under $75K/year
      My Income is well over $75K/year
      His credit is good, my credit is better
      Based on income, credit, downpayment etc....Can we apply jointly and get approved to be on the same VA Home Loan?  My income and credit will boost the numbers while his eligible VA Status gets us the VA Loan deal.  

Not sure if VA Loan requires us to be married to both be considered on the loan while qualifying factors that would get us approved...are significant though we're not married.  
      Does VA Care about this?  Or is it like any other loan....adding someone like a co-signor or second applicant?

Thank you

• By Quietman
      My 350th Post!!

Final step for the DW for 2014. Approved for $13K on their 11.99% Diamond Preferred, HP on EQ.

Her Scores:

Exp : 789
      TU : 798
      Eq : 806

Over the last fourteen day app spree, she's scored:

AMEX EDC - $9,400 to $28,200
      NFCU Flagship - $10,000
      NASA Visa - $13,000
      BECU - $25,000
      BOA - $8,200 > $16,400
      USAA - $16,000
      Citi - $13,000

For a total of $104,000 in new credit!

She did apply for a second NFCU card, that's still under review.

Off to the garden till next year for some CLI requests. (I know, a lot of GIF's, just celebratin' a little , ok, a lot! )

• By Quietman
      Whoo Hoo!

DW was just approved for NASA Visa Platinum Rewards, $13K, 9.9%

I'm trying to make sure she has a complete credit profile, she has no credit unions yet. Although, she was just accepted to Navy FCU (based on my membership). CC application there is "pending".

Her FICO scores:

Exp : 789
      TU : 798
      Eq : 806

The NASA HP has not shown up yet, but I'm guessing it will be Experian like mine was.

GIFSoup
    • By MJPEREZ77
      Just wondering if anyone has ever app'd with BofA and had it take the full 30 days that they say it may take. Just app'd with them on the 1st day of the app spree for DW (8/30) and they still say it is under review. Wondering if she should call and try talking to the UW dept, any suggestions?

Thanks,
      BD

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    datboykahn
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines