Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

FHA Loan

The last post in this topic was posted 2429 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

If it is all that you are eligible for it is great - it is a higher cost but often gets you in a home years earlier thaan other programs if you have credit issues in the past (BK Foreclosure Short sale etc)

If you can get into a conventional loan you may be better off every month with a smaller payment -

FHA only requires 3.5% down - rates arent based on scores as much so if you qualify you should get a good rate regardless of score

Thee PMI is higher now and the biggest downside is it is for the life of the loan -

the only way out is to refi or pay off the loan - getting rid of the monthly PMI can save quite a bit so most will end up refinancing at some point - of course thats if someone stays in a place that long

It isnt a bad program just not as attractive a loan as it used to be

Brian

Here in California we couldn't get any sellers to even accept an FHA loan. None would accept our offer. They are harder to deal with as far as requirements and owners prefer dealing with buyers who have conventional. We lost 2 homes because of that. After we switched over to conventional, our offer was accepted quickly. Sucks because now we have to put 20% down. But at least we don't have the PMI.

You can put 5% for conventional?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was surprised by that, too. I always thought conventional required 20 percent. No PMI with the 5 percent conventional? Is there a two year waiting period after bankruptcy with conventional, or is it longer?

Yes

I was surprised by that, too. I always thought conventional required 20 percent. No PMI with the 5 percent conventional? Is there a two year waiting period after bankruptcy with conventional, or is it longer?

You will still pay PMI unless you put 20% down. But the good news is you won't be paying for the life of your loan, like with FHA. You have the option to pre-pay, let the lender pay in exchange for a higher rate, or pay monthly and cancel when your LTV meets the requirement. If looking at this option, ask them to run it each way so you can see what's best for you. We ended up going with the lender-paid option and then buying the rate back down with points. This resulted in the least amount out of pocket, lower payments, and a nice tax deduction.

I believe the waiting period is still 4 years. FHA is less and has some exceptions that make it as little as 12 months now.

Edited by road2freedom

Yes

You will still pay PMI unless you put 20% down. But the good news is you won't be paying for the life of your loan, like with FHA. You have the option to pre-pay, let the lender pay in exchange for a higher rate, or pay monthly and cancel when your LTV meets the requirement. If looking at this option, ask them to run it each way so you can see what's best for you. We ended up going with the lender-paid option and then buying the rate back down with points. This resulted in the least amount out of pocket, lower payments, and a nice tax deduction.

I believe the waiting period is still 4 years. FHA is less and has some exceptions that make it as little as 12 months now.

Thanks for that info!

The last post in this topic was posted 2429 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Mido
      Hello CV and everyone,  Wanted your brutal opinion because I am in the process of refinancing my FHA loan and just received the loan closing disclosure (CD) today but wanted to know if I'm doing the right thing and/or its worth it or Not.

My current FHA loan as follows:
      Appraised Property Value $400K
      Current Loan interest rate is 3.25% (closed this loan 13 months ago) 
      Original Loan Amount $393K
      Current Principal Balance $383K (30yrs loan and nearly 29 yrs left).
      Loan Maturity date 08/2049 
      Current Monthly payment $2400 (Principal $671+ Interest $1,038 + Escrow $690)

VS.

My FHA refinance loan will be as follows:
      Appraised Property Value $400K
      New Loan interest rate is 2.75%  
      Original Loan Amount $387K
      Principal Balance $387K (30yrs loan).
      Loan Maturity date 11/2050
      New Monthly payment $2391 (Principal + Interest = $1,582 + Escrow $542 + PMI 267)
      Cash to close from borrower (me) $2089

Thank you all for your feed back.
    • By GLW
      Hi Folks - I'm scheduled to close on a new construction home 8/30. The kids start school here in MD on 9/3. They enroll in new schools and I want to get them settled as much as possible. That background might come in handy for the scenario that I'm seeking advice on.

Here's the scenario: purchase price is $439,540. I'm currently doing an FHA loan with 3.5% down. My mortgage credit score is 726. The loan estimate has me paying $300 month in PMI. The issue is that in October I get my yearly sales bonus; at that time I can put down the ~$90K needed to cover the 20% down payment to remove PMI. Questions for those experienced in the industry:

1. Should / can I delay closing for two months? If so should I go conventional?
      2. Should I move forward with the FHA loan and refinance quickly? How soon can one refinance?
      3. Should I move forward with the FHA loan and simply pay $90K on the principal of the loan and reduce the amount to have PMI removed?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    • By DavidMalan
      Hello my name is David Malan i need quick cash car title loan can anyone please suggest me the lender name and number so can i get the loan.

Thanks
      David
    • By Bamaguy
      Hello All!  I am new here and I really need some help.  Back in 2011, I had a foreclosure and a repossession.  Those dropped off my credit reports earlier this year.  Because of those, I haven't been able to get approved for any credit except a car loan with a co-signor (American Credit Acceptance) that I had all good payment history and then paid off in 2015.  I have been driving a lease car from a friend since then, so not in my name and now that friend can no longer provide the lease, so I have to buy a car.  The only other item on my credit reports is a credit card my ex-wife had with my name on it as well that she ended up not paying and settling with them (about $1360).  

Just pulled my credit reports.  TU is 617 but both Experian and Equifax has no credit score!  They say it's because I don't have enough credit history, but how can I get any if I can't get a credit card??

Anyway, I spoke with Carfinance.com and they use Experian.  If I had a 500 with them, I could get a loan.  

I make over $100,000/year but I am self-employed as a consultant, though it is quite regular.  I am looking to borrow between $20k and $25k and I will have $10k to put down.  What is my best approach to go about getting a car loan, please?  I'm really at a loss here, so any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Climaxxll
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines