Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Dental Surgery...

The last post in this topic was posted 2406 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Specifically extraction of a tooth which is causing me a good bit of gum pain from jagged edges digging into the gums, plus the fact that if I don't get it seen to it will get infected and cause all sorts of nasty problems.

Is this covered by medical insurance? Okay, sure, basic dental work isn't covered, sure, teeth cleanings aren't covered. sure, eye exams and glasses aren't covered... but in the case of a non-elective surgical procedure, shouldn't this be covered?

$75? How'd you pull that off? (no pun intended)

Every time I go in for a tooth extraction it costs at least double that, but typically around $200 without insurance. Maybe I just look like a sucker.

i think he felt sorry for me.

it was a failed root canal that abscessed I had been on antibiotics on and off over a year,

5 visits tot the dentist, one to the endontist, and 2 to him, I finally said , just pull the sucker....

the usual fee was $150, but it came out so easy, he halved the price.

Please tell me that you're going to go to a different dentist than the one in the other thread. And like the others said, it should not be real expensive.

That sounds painful!

I had a wisdom tooth extracted about a month ago. My regular dentist referred me to an oral surgeon, who she said was covered under my dental insurance. The surgeon's office said it would be covered. They charged me $108 out of pocket, for the amount they said insurance wouldn't cover, deductible, I think.

So I got the tooth removed, and assumed everything was fine, insurance wise.

A couple of days ago, I got an EOB from the dental insurance company, in my email. I logged into look at it, and here the insurance company is refusing to pay for the extraction! It said any wisdom tooth extractions for a patient younger than 13, or older than 30, have to be evaluated for necessity and preapproved by the insurance company. I am 40. WTH?? Because I'm 40 I shouldn't have had a decaying, impacted, crooked, wisdom tooth removed??

When I look at what the dental insurance covers, it says wisdom tooth extractions, and makes NO mention of age! I am highly upset right now. I am out of work, and can't afford another $200 out of pocket for a dental bill. And I can't afford to have it end up on mine or my husband's credit reports, either, if we can't pay it. We just had a bankruptcy discharged in February, and our trying to keep our reports clean.

Grrrr!

Oh well, that's enough ranting, I guess!

Moral of the story - if you have dental insurance (or any insurance), make absolutely sure you know what it covers, before you get any out of the ordinary procedures done.

Edited by RedHairedLady

have you r Dentist type up something for you , and request a reconsideration.

your dentist should have known that preapproval was required, or if it wasn't, then the Ins. co is just feeding you a load of BS.

bottom line; it would have been approved , so they should just pay it.

have you r Dentist type up something for you , and request a reconsideration.

your dentist should have known that preapproval was required, or if it wasn't, then the Ins. co is just feeding you a load of BS.

bottom line; it would have been approved , so they should just pay it.

Right, I'm sure I'm not the first over 30 year old patient, with that insurance, who the oral surgeon has treated. I can't imagine the surgeon wouldn't have known if preapproval was required.

I'll contact her about it.

Thanks for the advice!

Specifically extraction of a tooth which is causing me a good bit of gum pain from jagged edges digging into the gums, plus the fact that if I don't get it seen to it will get infected and cause all sorts of nasty problems.

Is this covered by medical insurance? Okay, sure, basic dental work isn't covered, sure, teeth cleanings aren't covered. sure, eye exams and glasses aren't covered... but in the case of a non-elective surgical procedure, shouldn't this be covered?

Nope, nope, nope. Unfortunately this would need to be under dental insurance. Or you could just do it yourself. Didn't OC rip out a couple of her own adult teeth once? If she ever comes back you can ask her for advice.

Regular insurance will only cover dental issues due to accident or a "medical" need.

If I needed to have all my teeth pulled, and they had to cut them out...due to blood pressure issues or reaction issues (shaking, heart palpitations, rash, etc) they might choose to use general anesthesia. As it is being used because of a medical condition, it more than likely will be covered under medical insurance.
Of course the insurance company will need to approve it before hand....which will probably require requests from both you dentist and your medical doctor.

Regular insurance will cover "oral surgery" based on whether your going under general anesthesia they cover the anesthesia part . If your concerned about the cost have you checked one of those free dental clinics or even a local school that has a dentistry major often you may only pay for supplies which is a smidgen of the cost in comparison to a dentist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually it appears they are taking my medical insurance, though I'm sure that won't pay for it if I request an "implant".

What's worrying me right now is that one (I'm not sure which( of the two side by side teeth they fitted for crowns is still really sensitive to pressure... I'm hoping after the permanent crowns are glued in the pressure sensitivity will lesson.............. hoping..

Regular insurance will cover "oral surgery" based on whether your going under general anesthesia they cover the anesthesia part . If your concerned about the cost have you checked one of those free dental clinics or even a local school that has a dentistry major often you may only pay for supplies which is a smidgen of the cost in comparison to a dentist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. There *may* be *some* items covered by major medical in the event of oral surgery. It never hurts to call and check.

The last post in this topic was posted 2406 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.