Sign in to follow this  
surfit

12 parking tickets on TU. College was fun but I was stupid... :(

Hey guys, well this one is probably going to get a couple :rofl: and :swoon: and yes, I deserve them. BUT, paying parking tickets was the last thing on my mind as I was making my way through midterm and final after final. Now they're killing my credit and I obviously regret it. I just thought, they'll go away and I'll never see them again.

They didn't.

5 years later, I have 12 parking tickets on my TU report (not listed on the others, just TU) and each line looks like this:

INNOVATIVE COLLECTIONS #000000000

Placed for collection: 12/28/2009

Responsibility: Individual account

Loan Type: Collection Agency/Attorney

Balance: $95

Balance updated: 10/25/2011

Past due: $95

This is KILLING my TU score. I've offered to pay them (PFD) but they actually said no. Now, I just want them off and I'll do anything you guys think might work. Has anyone had a similar experience? What method do you think would work on parking tickets?

THANKS!! :good:

Edited by surfit

So they report parking tickets to CRAs now, scumbags, in old days you could just ignore them and they were gone in 36 months if you didnt pay them at least it was this way in CA. Seems no more SOL on driving offenses anymore they will get 50 yrs later. Its a court ordered amount just pay it and be done with it after DV them all.

Edited by gdale6

I have been told there is no SOL on parking tickets because it's court debt but I have nothing to prove that and don't know if it's true. Maybe someone else does. But you should DV each one of them separately to make sure they are actually yours. By separately I mean list each one separately in one envelope, if they are all with the same CA. I don't think you need to send them all in their own CMRR envelope because it would be too much for you to track. You should also dispute them on your TU CR. Make sure to put your CMRR number on each letter.

Don't be surprised if that $95 is $300 now for each one. An ex-GF got two $25 parking tickets that turned into $250 each 4 years later. They often don't do PFD because they are usually assigned to the CA by the court and not sold; however, you should verify who owns it.

Edited by funkiehouse

That's ridiculous. What if a parking ticket blew off your car, was destroyed by rain, etc? That's not a far-fetched scenario. I would suggest fighting them using that argument. Hire a lawyer if you have to - it will save you money in the long-run.

Edited by moadikum

That's ridiculous. What if a parking ticket blew off your car, was destroyed by rain, etc? That's not a far-fetched scenario. I would suggest fighting them using that argument. Hire a lawyer if you have to - it will save you money in the long-run.

Totally agree.... I attend a U in Miami, FL and we get wicked thunder storms almost all the time, Im sure parking tickets get blown away almost always !

Totally agree.... I attend a U in Miami, FL and we get wicked thunder storms almost all the time, Im sure parking tickets get blown away almost always !

Trust me, they have though of this and have dealt with this a million times. This is why they send late notices to the address listed on your registration or block you from getting your tags renewed, depending on the ordinances for that county/state. If your registration address is incorrect, it's on you, not the parking enforcement agency. Otherwise, there wouldn't be parking enforcement because people would be lined up saying the wind was blowing that day.

What you suggest is like saying the rain caused your car to hit another car, so you or your insurance shouldn't be responsible. It just doesn't work that way.

Edited by funkiehouse

Trust me, they have though of this and have dealt with this a million times. This is why they send late notices to the address listed on your registration or block you from getting your tags renewed, depending on the ordinances for that county/state. If your registration address is incorrect, it's on you, not the parking enforcement agency. Otherwise, there wouldn't be parking enforcement because people would be lined up saying the wind was blowing that day.

What you suggest is like saying the rain caused your car to hit another car, so you or your insurance shouldn't be responsible. It just doesn't work that way.

+1, the law is the law, this is a civil court matter and if you have tickets you are going to be paying them, that is the way it is and it would be a waste of money to hire a lawyer to try and fight it. Ignorance of the law is not a defence in court.

So they report parking tickets to CRAs now, scumbags, in old days you could just ignore them and they were gone in 36 months if you didnt pay them at least it was this way in CA. Seems no more SOL on driving offenses anymore they will get 50 yrs later. Its a court ordered amount just pay it and be done with it after DV them all.

If you think that's bad, some public libraries now report unpaid fines to credit bureaus, and sell the debt to collection agencies!

the law is the law

If it were that cut and dry, there wouldn't be such a demand for lawyers.

+1000

the law is the law

+1000

Now that's ridiculous.

+1, the law is the law, this is a civil court matter and if you have tickets you are going to be paying them, that is the way it is and it would be a waste of money to hire a lawyer to try and fight it. Ignorance of the law is not a defence in court.

+1

the law is the law

+1000

Now that's ridiculous.

No, it's really not.

It is the law. There is no SOL on debts owed to the government, be it tickets, tax liens, etc.

It is the law. There is no SOL on debts owed to the government, be it tickets, tax liens, etc.

Thanks. This is what I had been told and read but I was unsure telling people this.

Thanks. This is what I had been told and read but I was unsure telling people this.

I knew this was the way it is, just got thru dealing with the AZ court system over tickets in 1986 that stopped renewal of my drivers license for the first time this year..AZ has no SOL on traffic offenses or at least they didnt in 1986.... Have not set foot in that state in over 25 years....

Edited by gdale6

I knew this was the way it is, just got thru dealing with the AZ court system over tickets in 1986 that stopped renewal of my drivers license for the first time this year..AZ has no SOL on traffic offenses or at least they didnt in 1986.... Have not set foot in that state in over 25 years....

Should I dare ask how much that ran you.

Should I dare ask how much that ran you.

$500+

I should add there was no proof of the tickets either, there was just a computer print out that said you owe this amount, I asked for the original citiations and got "we tossed all of it over 15 yrs ago and if you want your license you will pay what the computer stays you owe"... I spoke with my lawyer and he info me just pay the damn thing....

Edited by gdale6

Lively discussion! Thanks everyone.

So what is the final consensus? If I pay them, $1200-3500 worth, they'll still be on my credit report. Is there any way to get these taken off? DV? Or?

This is dragging my TU score down at least 75 points I'm sure.

PFD. If they say no them tell them to call you when their ready. :grin:

I mean go through the DV process first and really push for some documentation. If they can't come up with some then in your PFD, if you get to that point, argue that they have no information of these debts that will win them a court case and then offer 20%. If no, try again the next week and so on… It may also be a waste of time but who knows what might work. Just do it soon because the juice is running.

PFD. If they say no them tell them to call you when their ready. :grin:

I mean go through the DV process first and really push for some documentation. If they can't come up with some then in your PFD, if you get to that point, argue that they have no information of these debts that will win them a court case and then offer 20%. If no, try again the next week and so on… It may also be a waste of time but who knows what might work. Just do it soon because the juice is running.

When you owe the government money THEY NEVER do it on YOUR terms. OP has to suck it up and pay the tickets...BOTTOM LINE!

So based on the advice above, I sent a 12 DV letters to the CA, 12 letters as there are 12 tickets. Even though I asked for copies of the ticket, or some sort of actual proof that these were/are mine, I got back a standard form reply basically stating: "Per your request, we are including information about your original citation."

Citation #

Location (a code)

Date/Time

Code sections violated

Amount

And then pay instructions.

This is my first DV letter ever, now that I have these 12 replies what would you recommend be my next step? Do these letters get sent to the CRAs? Or should I contact the CA again with a stronger request? Any help is appreciated. These all fall off roughly in 6-9 months. TU IS THE ONLY CRA THEY'RE ON. Maybe an obsolete letter?

THANKS!!

Edited by surfit

Did they just type that up on their computer? If so, that does not comply with proper validation. They are required to obtain proof from the OC (court) and then send you that proof. Let them know they have failed to properly validate by sending zero proof and that you can type up a bill stating they owe you 3k and then we'll be even. Demand they send valid proof within 30 days or remove their listings from your reports. Immediately.

Hi, thanks for the reply LKH. I like your firm stance. To answer your question, yes, they sent to me 12 computer written bills from their office. Nothing at all verifying these.

I'll send this letter out today. Is there a 'form' letter on these boards that would give me some guidelines as to how to 'speak' to them demanding further proof? I want it to sound very legal.

I'm also disputing them as being obselete with TU at the same time.