Jump to content

Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.


Sign in to follow this  

DTI question for an FHA mortgage

The last post in this topic was posted 2446 days ago. 

 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Recommended Posts

I was just pre-approved for an FHA mortgage (mid score 675), and hope to find a good house within the next month or so. Because my DTI is a bit high right now, I was only pre-approved for a $200,000 loan with 3.5% ($7000). I have been looking at some great houses, but most are just above the approval level. I have up to $30,000 in reserves to put as a down payment, but I also have about $9000 in credit card debt (I had some recent family medical emergencies that added up quickly). So my question is this: Does it make more sense to lower my DTI by paying down the credit cards with the reserve money, and put a smaller amount toward the down payment, or keep a larger down payment? Thanks in advance for the advice!

 

** BTW- I am about 2 years post-BK7 discharge, so FHA is my only option at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lowering your DTI can be done both ways. Paying down revolving debt will also boost your scores. Although, with FHA it won't effect your rate to have a higher score. If you are wanting to go above the $200k pre-approved amount I would reach out to your LO & have him work the #s to see which would get you the higher purchase price. I suspect the larger down payment would allow you to increase your purchase price. Tell you LO how high you are wanting to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in a similar situation. You need to talk to your mortgage people about what the results of your actions will be. More money towards down payment did nothing for me, but paying off another debt helped the equation quite a bit.

 

If your credit card minimum payment is $50, with a 4.25% mortgage, that's around $10,000 more you can spend. But as you go up in purchase price you also can go up in taxes from the square footage which negates the payment amount. I ended up going nicer but smaller. $200k 4bd 2ba with two family rooms vs a $225k 3bd 2ba with one family room. The more expensive one might actually be cheaper and fit in your DTI ratio.

 

Throwing $20k towards a $245k is not going to remove the increased taxes and other monthly fixed costs.

 

I don't pay PMI so I really don't know how that will come into play as well.

 

Either way just ask your lender what will happen if you remove that credit card debt.

Edited by RBinAK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most lenders will not let you 'pay down revolving' to qualify on dti..... unless you close the revolving account

 

 

I experienced this painfully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DLG but you can pay down revolving and then apply. Just because they have applied at one place, they can still make the needed changes and apply again shopping another lender waiting for time for the information to post on the credit report as a reduced line. Or am I wrong here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DLG can you delete my posts, i asked in the report tool. I dont like having bad info out here so if they could be deleted that would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why they don't let you just pay off cards to get DTI down. If it was a deal breaker couldn't I just find another lender and restart the process? Its not like there isn't 100 lenders in the area anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, that's crazy I would have never thought that. good to know.

 

wait to apply before you pay off any balances you intend to pay to lower DTI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DLG but you can pay down revolving and then apply. Just because they have applied at one place, they can still make the needed changes and apply again shopping another lender waiting for time for the information to post on the credit report as a reduced line. Or am I wrong here?

 

correct. you can pay down then go to another lender after the balances report

DLG can you delete my posts, i asked in the report tool. I dont like having bad info out here so if they could be deleted that would be great.

 

no need to delete good info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

DLG but you can pay down revolving and then apply. Just because they have applied at one place, they can still make the needed changes and apply again shopping another lender waiting for time for the information to post on the credit report as a reduced line. Or am I wrong here?

 

correct. you can pay down then go to another lender after the balances report

DLG can you delete my posts, i asked in the report tool. I dont like having bad info out here so if they could be deleted that would be great.

 

no need to delete good info

 

Is this standard practice or a YMMV type of thing. If this is an industry standard then I will need to look for a new loan officer.

 

Would it be bad to ask the LO or might that raise red flags if I mention I will go elsewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on top of that question, what if you are pre approved for FHA and you want to get approved for conventional? Would a new DTI be determined for that? with the same lender for both of those.

Edited by futurehomeowner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

correct. you can pay down then go to another lender after the balances report

that seems so crazy that that lender wouldn't recalculate in order to keep your business.

 

:dntknw:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last post in this topic was posted 2446 days ago. 

 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By Mido
      Hello CV and everyone,  Wanted your brutal opinion because I am in the process of refinancing my FHA loan and just received the loan closing disclosure (CD) today but wanted to know if I'm doing the right thing and/or its worth it or Not.
       
      My current FHA loan as follows:
      Appraised Property Value $400K
      Current Loan interest rate is 3.25% (closed this loan 13 months ago) 
      Original Loan Amount $393K
      Current Principal Balance $383K (30yrs loan and nearly 29 yrs left).
      Loan Maturity date 08/2049 
      Current Monthly payment $2400 (Principal $671+ Interest $1,038 + Escrow $690)
       
      VS.
       
      My FHA refinance loan will be as follows:
      Appraised Property Value $400K
      New Loan interest rate is 2.75%  
      Original Loan Amount $387K
      Principal Balance $387K (30yrs loan).
      Loan Maturity date 11/2050
      New Monthly payment $2391 (Principal + Interest = $1,582 + Escrow $542 + PMI 267)
      Cash to close from borrower (me) $2089
       
      Thank you all for your feed back.
    • By GLW
      Hi Folks - I'm scheduled to close on a new construction home 8/30. The kids start school here in MD on 9/3. They enroll in new schools and I want to get them settled as much as possible. That background might come in handy for the scenario that I'm seeking advice on.
       
      Here's the scenario: purchase price is $439,540. I'm currently doing an FHA loan with 3.5% down. My mortgage credit score is 726. The loan estimate has me paying $300 month in PMI. The issue is that in October I get my yearly sales bonus; at that time I can put down the ~$90K needed to cover the 20% down payment to remove PMI. Questions for those experienced in the industry:
       
      1. Should / can I delay closing for two months? If so should I go conventional?
      2. Should I move forward with the FHA loan and refinance quickly? How soon can one refinance?
      3. Should I move forward with the FHA loan and simply pay $90K on the principal of the loan and reduce the amount to have PMI removed?
       
      Thanks for your help in advance.
    • By usermi
      Hi guys,
       
      Well, I've been trying to buy a house, I was shooting for a conventional loan but just found out that since I had a short sale I don't qualify for a conventional per new rules (funny, earlier in the year I was able to do conventional, who's making these rules? lol), lender said FHA will work. Is there any loophole that allows me to do conventional? If not I still want to see what you guys think about the numbers under my situation.
       
      This is my situation:
      - short sale in november 2011
      - 680 credit score (thanks for advice was able to take out some disputes)
      - 130K price
       
       
      These are the numbers my mortgage person is offering under FHA:
      - APR: 5.472%
      - Finance charge 122,382
      - Amount Financed: 123,982
      - Total of Payments: 246,364
      - Interest Rate: 3.875%
      - Principal and Interest: $600
      - Estimated Taxes and Insurance: 534
       
      Not happy about the upfront 1.75 MIP Fee, but next november I will qualify for a conventional so I might look to refinance if the rates look appealing. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I could wait and get another house maybe next november but with this house I could have roommates that will basically pay for all my expenses and the street has the space with just the right layout to accommodate all the cars, sweet!
       
      Thanks and Happy New Year!
    • By philiclese
      I want to buy a second home in NY area (would love to hear from those who can lend in NY) and here is my situation- hopefully it's all you need to offer opinions.
      1. Own a home in Fl. with approx. 180k left on mort. Worth 280 but dont want to get second mort. since family member co owns. Total payments with prin, int, insur, taxes is $1400 monthy that I pay by myself- co owner doesn't live here. Plus I have $225 community dues monthly, no other regular monthly payments- no car loan or credit card balance- use debit card.
      2. Net worth approx. 2 Mil but 500k is weird stuff...private RE partnerships, 1/3 of an insurance trust, etc- that I doubt banks would consider. Plus IRA of 70k. I don't want to pay all cash for second home because mostly in family partnership with siblings, but that I can get document full access and continuing payments from it
      3. No earned income- retired. Excellent credit- 775 on Myfico which I think is the "real" Fico score.
      4. I know there are "Asset Depletion" programs from having posted previously- I found a bank document online explaining how to underwrite these I estimate they would credit me about 1.1 mil. for my assets after applying 70% factor to stocks, and -if I recall- 70% to my IRA since Im under 59- Im 56. I figure at 1.1 Mil at 4% on 30 years I would get credit for approx. 6k for month as income under the banks standards(?)
      5. I have read that FHA has looser standards for front end and back end ratios, including up to 50% or more on back end ratio and perhaps 45% on front end. I believe the mortgage payments on my primary residence would be consider part of the back end ratio when calculating for new mortgage on 2nd home.

      So by my calculations based on around $70k annual "asset depletion" income, approx. 1650 annual expenses- which is all due to existing home costs- and before new second home mortgage, and these higher ratios- 45% front end and 55% back end (if really available????) and a down payment of 50k plus on 250 second home, can I hopefully get close to the requred 200k mortgage??

      I realize I am asking for something unusual between the higher ratios and the asset-depletion, but hoping someone on here can give some advice or is experienced enough to know how this would go. Thanks!
    • By SEOGirl
      Hello,
       
      My husband and I have been patiently waiting to buy a home for years. We had a lot of obsticles that kept us from being where we needed to be that we have now overcome. We have been in a lease purchase for the past couple of years for a home that we will be purchasing for $250K and we have accured about 10K for the downpayment though we may be able to come up with a few grand more if needed to close.
       
      Here are our current issues: I am self employed & my spouse is on SS Disability. His income is non-taxable. Majority of my income is through a contractor position that I have held with the same employer for over 6 years now. After our accountant completed our income taxes this past year, I was concerned it might not appear that we make enough income to qualify. I currently bring in 60K per year for this contract posiiton plus another 5-10K in additional contract work. I have roughly 5-7K in expenses however, the way my home office is setup it is a large portion of our home and after they completed the home office exemption and household related expenses, my taxable income appeared to only be about 20K.
       
      Since the majority of the reasons my income looks so low is due to our home expenses which would be similar if we were to purchase the house, how would they look at my income for qualifying for a mortgage? Would they look at it before the home office exemption was used or after? Also, I have heard that SSD income is sometimes counted as more due to being non-taxable. Is that true? My spouses income from SSD is roughly $30K.
       
      I also wondered if being self-employed ended up causing too much problems if my employer ended up hiring me a a fulltime employee instead of a contractor if that would change the situation. We had discussed doing that as well anyways.
       
      I appreciate all of your input. I have been dreaming of being a homeowner for so long and we finally found our dream home that couldn't be more perfect for our children.



  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      179,621
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    Climaxxll
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines