Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Amazon Prime increasing from $79 to $99

The last post in this topic was posted 2303 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I am a student and it went from $39.00 to $49.00. Just ordering a couple of things pays for PRIME. Shipping costs are so expensive. I am one of those shoppers where Amazon is eating it big on shipping fees. I order a lot of stuff throughout the year and know I've saved about $600 to $800 in shipping costs.

Is the free year just for BCE/BCP new apps or can a current card holder pay for Prime with BCP and auto get the free year credit?

Edited by virtualtreasure

I am a student and it went from $39.00 to $49.00. Just ordering a couple of things pays for PRIME. Shipping costs are so expensive. I am one of those shoppers where Amazon is eating it big on shipping fees. I order a lot of stuff throughout the year and know I've saved about $600 to $800 in shipping costs.

Thanks for mentioning the student rates. I read about that as well but didn't mention it. I'm a student as well but I don't have Prime. I just ordered a book for one of my classes that cost me $13 for two day shipping so maybe I should get it as well. The other site I ordered my book canceled my order the day before class started.

Do you know about all of the free Kindle books? You have to have a Kindle to get them from what I heard. The Kindle app doesn't give you access to them.

Is the free year just for BCE/BCP new apps or can a current card holder pay for Prime with BCP and auto get the free year credit?

I believe it's just for new apps, but you could give them a call and see if they would give it to you if you just got the card during the offer period. Not sure when it started. I just got my BCE in November.

Do you know if they give you access to the Kindle books and streaming service during the first free six months? It's not checked on this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Do you know if they give you access to the Kindle books and streaming service during the first free six months? It's not checked on this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

FREE Two-Day Shipping
Get FREE Two-Day Shipping on millions of items.

Shop Now

Prime Instant Video
Enjoy unlimited instant streaming of over 40,000 movies and TV episodes.

Watch Now

Kindle Owners' Lending Library
Borrow one Kindle Book per month from over 500,000 titles for free on any Kindle device with no due dates.

Read Now

Amazon Student Benefits
Free release-date delivery on video games, DVDs, books and more

Exclusive deals and promotions. Learn more

BTW Amazon is running prime for $79.00 for the next 7 days.

Here is what mine says.

On March 29, 2014, you will be charged $39 for another year of Student Prime. Starting March 29, 2015, you will be charged $49 per year.

Edited by SeekingWealth

Worth more than $99 in my opinion..and usage...

Same here. I have over 125 order Over the last 12 calendar months with amazon. Call it .75 cents for shipping each item. I made out, easily.

Amazon Prime is worth it, IMO! And you can also add 4 people to your Prime membership, so the membership can be split up to 5 ways with friends or family.

Worth more than $99 in my opinion..and usage...

I agree from what I have read. I just signed up and I think if they made it $119 like they were going to it would still be worth it, if you're a regular Amazon person.

Amazon is being accused of charging higher rates to Prime members than non-prime members to make up the costs. There is evidence of this and a class action lawsuit is being field. Some non-prime customers are paying less even after paying for shipping in some cases.

I noticed years ago to start looking at other places for large items first. But even still I kept Prime and dealt with it because I live in the nations highest sales tax at one time, still damn high at 9.75% Amazon does not have a presence in my state so I still purchase as many goods as possible through the site and get a guaranteed 9.75% return on money - actually less because of the price fixing but most of the time I compare prices with other retailers, brick and mortar, and online and factor in shipping, taxes, etc. I still usually come ahead with prime.

Now when they eventually start charging sales tax everyone online, I'm dropping Amazon like a hot rock.

You can google 'amazon lawsuit' for details. I can't remember what the policy for linking to external sites are. Fun experiment: Get a buddy who doesn't have prime while you do, or vice-versa, and have someone randomly pick a bunch of items and email to the other, a list of links to each page and compare prices. This may only apply to items with third-party vendors that are using amazon to fulfill the orders but still, "Free Shipping" isn't free when you are paying more for an item than someone else.

Amazon is being accused of charging higher rates to Prime members than non-prime members to make up the costs. There is evidence of this and a class action lawsuit is being field. Some non-prime customers are paying less even after paying for shipping in some cases.

I noticed years ago to start looking at other places for large items first. But even still I kept Prime and dealt with it because I live in the nations highest sales tax at one time, still damn high at 9.75% Amazon does not have a presence in my state so I still purchase as many goods as possible through the site and get a guaranteed 9.75% return on money - actually less because of the price fixing but most of the time I compare prices with other retailers, brick and mortar, and online and factor in shipping, taxes, etc. I still usually come ahead with prime.

Now when they eventually start charging sales tax everyone online, I'm dropping Amazon like a hot rock.

You can google 'amazon lawsuit' for details. I can't remember what the policy for linking to external sites are. Fun experiment: Get a buddy who doesn't have prime while you do, or vice-versa, and have someone randomly pick a bunch of items and email to the other, a list of links to each page and compare prices. This may only apply to items with third-party vendors that are using amazon to fulfill the orders but still, "Free Shipping" isn't free when you are paying more for an item than someone else.

I'm not convinced of the price increase for prime members claim. Lots of times over the years I've experimented with this. I've checked prices on amazon while not being signed into my account and with the prior cookies deleted. Same price while not being signed in vs signed in my account on all products I've checked.

Well. I just looked... seems I have never been a member of Amazon Prime.

I see that it is offering me a 30-day trial, and says that, after my 30-day trial, the price will be $79 a year.

Does this mean that, if I enroll, that I will be one of the VERY LAST that enrolled in Amazon Prime at $79/year? Is that what that means?3-15-14prime1_zpsbe19ae3a.png

3-15-14prime2_zpsf927160c.png

I see that it is offering me a 30-day trial, and says that, after my 30-day trial, the price will be $79 a year.

Does this mean that, if I enroll, that I will be one of the VERY LAST that enrolled in Amazon Prime at $79/year? Is that what that means?3-15-14prime1_zpsbe19ae3a.png

Looks to me like you were once a prime member. I know I've been a "new" prime member 2 or 3 times over the years. Must be they consider someone "new" again after a certain amount of time has lapsed since their membership ended.

Looks to me like you were once a prime member. I know I've been a "new" prime member 2 or 3 times over the years. Must be they consider someone "new" again after a certain amount of time has lapsed since their membership ended.

3-15-14prime3_zps1bdba003.png

:good:

:)

People complaining about the increase are, to put it politely, salamanders. The reality is that Amazon nearly always has a better price than competing sites - and I'm 'guaranteed' to get it within two days. $99 not only buys you the 2-day shipping, but peace-of-mind. I don't need to spend time price-checking with other sites, since Amazon has proven to me time and again (including with expensive $1,000+ items) that they have the best price.

My time is valuable, and so $99 frees me up to focus on what matters.

The last post in this topic was posted 2303 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.