Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Charge Offs and Collection Agencies- Whats the relationship for fixing?

The last post in this topic was posted 2323 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello All,

I am new to this forum. I have been working on trying to repair my credit. I made mistakes, I was bad, I've grown up and realized the damage that I have done- time to fix.

I am struggling to understand the relationship between a charge off from an original creditor, and the same account once it is sold to a collection agency.

Goal- Obtain a mortgage

Stumbling Block- From everything I've read, there is no way you'll get a mortgage with charge offs on your credit report

I have two charge offs on my credit report, one from Orchard Bank, the other from Credit One Bank. Both were credit cards. They both were sold to Midland Funding/Midland Credit Management, who is now the collection agency on them.

Question 1- Lets say I have the money to pay the collection agency, Midland Funding, off in full for both of these charge offs. How would that end up showing as a paid charge off (which a mortgage lender would want to see) when the collection agency isnt the one reporting it as a charge off. They are reporting it as a collection account. The original creditor is the one reporting it as a charge off, a seperate tradeline. How does satisfying the debt with the colllection agency coorelate to the original creditor updating status to a paid charge off?

Question 2- Is it possible to make arrangements with the collection agency to pay the same above referenced collection accounts for agreement of deletion, essentially pay for delete of their tradeline, and still have the original creditors tradeline updated as paid charge off? Perhaps I need to know the answer to question 1 before I delve into question 2 too much, but it seems like they would go hand in hand.

Thanks in advance for any input, guidance, and help.

Paying for deletion is not the magic bullet it sounds like. It is only for debts that are beyond the SOL in your state, and it would not remove the charge off. When did you stop paying on these cards, and what state are you in?

I am in PA, so SOL is 4 years. One card was date of first deliquency in May of 2010, so that one is almost out of SOL. The other one was November 2011, so next year on that one. Ive had some success with paying for deletion, but the ultimate goal here is a mortgage. If it is true that mortgage lenders wont consider unless charge offs are cleaned up (i.e. paid) then I need to make arrangements to get that cleaned up. The problem there is, I still dont understand the relationship on how that reporting works. Let's say I straight up pay the CA the full amount (no PFD arrangements, etc), just straight up pay the collection agency- Ok, then how does the original creditor know to update the tradeline they are reporting as now a paid charge off? Do i dispute their tradeline once I pay it with the collection agency? Does the collection agency report back to the original creditor that it was charged off?

That is my pressing question. I need to understand how that works.

If the debt was sold to Midland, the charge off (original creditor) should be reporting $0 balance. Are you sure it was sold?

I think, as far as the requirements for a mortgage, I should move this thread to the mortgage forum. In some cases, you can pay at closing, but I"m not an expert, and this might not be one of those cases.

Do you want this moved?

I'm no expert either. Perhaps this would gather some more interest and feedback in the mortgage forum. Will your reply and my responses carry over as well, or just my original post? Thanks for your help.

I see you went ahead and posted there. They can answer your questions regarding what's required for a mortgage, which is your real question. They're not going to give you a different answer about paying for deletion. :D

I just got my pre approval yesterday. On my credit I HAD capital one charge off (OC) reporting as a $0 balance because it was sold to Midland and also the Midland account showing a $15000 balance. Last year I was able to get Midland removed from my report. So now the only thing on my credit report is the OC which is showing a $0 balance. When I did my pre approval the LO was verbally going over my credit with me and when he got to the CO he said, "I see you had some issues with cap 1 but it looks like that is all cleared up which is good." So essentially as long as it is listed with a $0 balance the loan company considers that ok. Now on your case you have Midland still reporting. You will have to pay off or get it deleted to get approved for a mortgage. If your scores are high enough to qualify then they may let you pay it at closing. If your scores don't qualify then they will tell you to get it paid first. The problem with paying it first is it will probably hurt your score because it shows recent collection activity.

So to recap, your reporting should look like this.

Orchard Bank-- charge off

current balance-- $0

Midland funding- open account/collection account

current balance--- $1000

If the OC is not showing a $0 balance then you should probably get that disputed with the CRA's. You have a chance at getting it deleted if that is the case but more times than not they will just update it.

ETA: I don't know that I have ever heard of anyone getting a PFD with Midland. They are not good to work with and couldn't care less about the consumer. They also like to sue so be careful if you are sending them any letters.

Edited by futurehomeowner?

The last post in this topic was posted 2323 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ajeet
      == One and half year ago, June 2012 ==
      About one and half year ago, I had gone to an apartment complext, to discuss with them about lease transfer from my friend who was staying there. Obviously I had parked in the "Future Resident" parkin spot.
      By the time I buzz my friends door and call him down, and enter the building leasing-office, I am told, that a parking-notice ticket was served. (I honestly do not remember about that ticket. Don't remember seeing it, or anything about it.)

== January 2013 ==
      I have started monitoring my credit score using myFico thing and it has been showing excellent score.
      Dec. 2014 my score stood at 800

== 15 Dec 2014 ==
      I was talking with my bank about my mortgage, where they mention me about the "Collection account" in my credit report and my actual experian score being 668.

Upon further enquiry, I found that I have a "collection account" in the amount of $75. from

== Collection account ==
      ACS FINANCIAL LLC
      Address:
      PO BOX 55849
      SEATTLE, WA 98155
      (206) 367-1720
      Account Number:
      XXXXXXXX
      Original Creditor:
      PLATINUM PARKING LLC
      Address Identification Number:
      0XXXXXXXXX0
      Jan 2014.
      Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on
      record until Apr 2020.
      Date Opened:
      11/2013
      Reported Since:
      01/2014
      Date of Status:
      01/2014
      Last Reported:
      01/2014
      Type:
      Collection
      Credit Limit/Original Amount:
      $68
      Recent Balance:
      $72 as of 01/2014

This single item is dragging my score down by (probably) 100 points. I have tried to contact the original Creditor and CA people over phone asking if there is any way of removing this collection account against my name, and I was not successfull.

I am thinking of following three options (in order of likelyhood)
      1. Contact Lexington-Law and with their help ask the original creditors to let go of the original credit, with incentives.
      2. Pay of the Collection-Agency full amount
      ( Q : Can any one tell how much it will impact my credit score ? )

Can someone with experience with small amount (<$100) collection-account please help me out with what is the correct course I should take ?
      Also I did not understand why my "FICO" score from equifax is "800" but my bank-person is saying experian score is "668" ?
      Can they have such big differences in them ?

• By HouseBound0829
      Hello and Thanks in advance for your help. Well, the roaches have come out and I have recieved two different letters from medical collection agencies after a mortgage pull. I honestly do not know if they are valid debts. They are not currently reporting on any of my credit reports, however, I am positive that they will of I don't respond to their letters. One of the letters as a service date of 2/10/2011 for a balance Due of $900.00 the collection agency name is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The other letter is From xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for $96.30 it does not have a service date on it. Should I send the Medical Validation Letter to the CAs from WhyChats page? I want to make sure I handle this properly in the right steps. Thanks again for your help.
    • By feifeifeifei
      Hi ICANHASMUNY, hodap2001 and LynnInMNall,

I was recommended by Student Loan board to post my thread here.

I took out a student loan around $100K since 2009 from the CFI Foundation. I made monthly payment on time until November 2012, when we moved to a new address and didn't receive the bill on time.

Details of the loan:
      Loan Name: North Carolina's EXTRA education loan
      OC: College Foundation Inc. (comment on my CR: Claim Filed with Government)
      NCSEAA purchased the loan from CFI and now assigned it to a CA.
      Guarantor: NCSEAA .
      The promissory note I signed can be found at http://cfnc.org/stat...pdf/EXTRArr.pdf
      Some articles online mentioned that the loan can be a private loan or state loan (similar to private?).

I didn't pay much attention to the issue as I was not aware and monthly payment of $1000 was not an issue to us. Also I was busy with our new born baby, job change and relocation. Recently, we're looking at buying a house then I came to realize the student loan is in default and damaged my credit score pretty badly.

Fortunately, I stumble upon this site and found a lot of valuable information. I called the original creditor CFI and NCSEAA then the CA. The CA told me that it was a state loan so it doesn't qualify a rehab or settlement. I can only set up a repayment plan or initiate a settlement on my own.

If working on a repayment plan, I need to provide some personal info over phone, including SSN, Employer Name and contact info, and Monthly salary and living expense or any mortgage I'm taking, and current home address.

If working on a settlement, I need to email or mail them to propose a settlement offer.

My questions are as below:
      1. Did I expose to the CA too much of myself?
      I confirmed last 4 digits of my SSN, provided a mailing address (mailbox) and acknowledged it's my loan.
      2. How should I continue communicating with the CA? via email as they suggested?or phone call? or certified mail?
      3. To minimize the negative impact on my credit score, should I choose to settle or work on a repayment? If not much difference, should I settle to permanently eliminate the issue.
      4. If I want to settle, the CA asked me to propose a settlement plan in writing, is it OK for me to do so? If OK, do we have a template to use? My plan is to propose 40% of the total balance to settle and then they may negotiate it up to certain percentage we both can accept. The lady I talked to said it's very unlikely for the OC to accept 40% settlement but I would like to give a try. I believe the lady at CA just wants to see how much money they can get out of me now.
      5. For the settlement, I'm planning to have the CA send me a settlement letter to delete the negative TL on my CR and a certified copy of your master promissory note with a paid-in-full stamp on the note with an authorized signature.
      Is it possible? Who should be the authorized signer on the settlement letter? Someone from OC?
      If they don't agree to provide any settlement letter, what should I do?
      6. If working on a repayment plan, CA asked for 20% down payment. I said NO, but it seems that I don't have any leverage with them but accept whatever offer they throw on the table.

Any other suggestion? Is it still possible to receive a mortgage from a bank by the end of this year 2015? My current score is 673.

Thank you very much!!

• By MCoryB
      Hi, all.

I've been following CB for a few months now and have made some major cleanups to all my reports thanks to the awesome advice here. Now I have just two baddies in each report, which I'd like to tackle somehow. One is a series of ten 30-day-lates in 2012 and 2013 on my American Honda Finance auto loan, and I've read many people say goodwill letters won't work with them, but here's the situation I feel sure I can clean up somehow, with your advice:

I left an apartment in late 2009 to move to another complex from the same owners and ended up owing them $1443 for carpet replacement and leaving the lease early. In 2010, they turned it over to a local collection agency here in Vegas called Sentry Recovery & Collections, whom I've heard are real a-holes. They've tacked on fees bringing my total up to $1627 but have not tried to contact me for quite a while (March 2014 was the last time they updated my credit reports). I'm not completely convinced I should wake a sleeping dragon, but I'd love to see this collection disappear.

Should I:

A — Try to PFD with the CA for less than I owe?

B — Try to pay the apartment complex either in full or a lesser amount *if* they'll clear up my record in whatever tenant tracking system they use AND ask the CA to delete the collection from my reports?

C — Something else?

Thanks for your help!

Cory
    • By alliswell
      I'm a newbie who seems to have slipped through the cracks. I had 2 credit cards with HSBC Nevada that were closed a number of years ago and reported accurately. I recently checked my credit reports (1st time in years) to find charge offs on two from HSBC and and additional 2 collection companies on all three reports. On the report that didn't have OC as HSBC, showed Cap 1.

I disputed all online before reading the boards to find out it was not the best decision. Also called Cap 1 because I have a CC with them and was confused. Cap 1 informed me that they now hold the other company's cards and could only find my current card. They told me to dispute. I then received a letter from them for each card stating:

"We have received your CB dispute regarding card services account. We have completed our investigation and the above-referenced account has been purged from our system. In addition, we have instructed all relevant major consumer reporting agencies to delete ANY reference of this account from your credit reports. Please allow up to 60 days for the info to be reflected on your reports. We apologize for any inconvenience."

My problem is that before I called them, 2 CRA's completed the investigation in 3 days and verified the collection accounts (Midland and Calvary). EXP noted the dispute as meeting requirements but never even acknowledged Calvary either way. I think they forgot to investigate it.

Also, one CA lists HSBC as the OC and the other doesn't list an OC at all. I don't know what I should do next. Any answers?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    LJELLIOTT30
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines