Your computer is infected - yeah right.

The last post in this topic was posted 2553 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Every month or two one of the assorted ad links will pop up the usual "security alert" to download a fix, aka malware.

Just got one, downloaded the script file: setup.exe.vbe (l love how they try to mask the script)

This one is signed by a dude in Russia. A "Boris Voclchik" with a brand new, fresh, class 2 digital certificate issued by Startcom.

Either "Boris" is legit and just had his cert stolen or some miscreant had one issued using bogus credentials. More likely the latter given the Cert is only 1 week old.

These twerps are amazing.

It isn't just pop up ads these clowns are using. I have received no less than 6 emails purporting to be from court clerks in states I have NEVER lived in EVER saying I have a court case and to download the attached zip file to read about it. All of them claimed that I had an appearance in less than a week from the date of the email. I noticed right away the attached file was an .exe file which would be executable and malware or a trojan/virus. No official court name, always a generic court clerk name, no date, time etc. because you are supposed to panic and download the file so they can hack your computer.

This one I have received 3 times: the notice of an impending funeral for a friend and to download the invitation. First none of my friends or family have recently passed and second who gets told of a funeral by invitation? It isn't a party. The shame is they used the name and webpage spoof of legitimate funeral homes. I did read an article that one of the homes they are using is REALLY angry that their reputation is being damaged by these fraudulent emails that are causing harm to those who don't know better and do download the virus.

It isn't just pop up ads these clowns are using. I have received no less than 6 emails purporting to be from court clerks in states I have NEVER lived in EVER saying I have a court case and to download the attached zip file to read about it. All of them claimed that I had an appearance in less than a week from the date of the email. I noticed right away the attached file was an .exe file which would be executable and malware or a trojan/virus. No official court name, always a generic court clerk name, no date, time etc. because you are supposed to panic and download the file so they can hack your computer.

This one I have received 3 times: the notice of an impending funeral for a friend and to download the invitation. First none of my friends or family have recently passed and second who gets told of a funeral by invitation? It isn't a party. The shame is they used the name and webpage spoof of legitimate funeral homes. I did read an article that one of the homes they are using is REALLY angry that their reputation is being damaged by these fraudulent emails that are causing harm to those who don't know better and do download the virus.

These are some of the more creative hackers using social engineering. A popular one these days is a Notice of Eviction. Grabs your attention if you are renter. They try to get you to download the "notice" which promptly compromises your computer. It's just disgusting.

It's really easy to get scared if you are a computer newbie or even computer capable if you don't know how these scams are done. I just try to tell everyone I know what kinds of things are going on and how to be safe.

I get that Notice of Eviction no less than twice a week. I know right away what it is from looking at the file attachment, but the wording on it is just atrocious.

I feel bad for those that do actually download it and t hen have that whole mess on their system.

• Admin

I downloaded one - the "adware" was in a version of Opera, and I was running XP at the time. Never could get it off my hard drive. I gave the computer to my nephew, and I think he's installed linux on it. I just saw on local news that ATM's are using XP based software and there is a mad rush to update it because it is no longer secure. Too bad, it was about the only MS OS I ever really liked,

I downloaded one - the "adware" was in a version of Opera, and I was running XP at the time. Never could get it off my hard drive. I gave the computer to my nephew, and I think he's installed linux on it. I just saw on local news that ATM's are using XP based software and there is a mad rush to update it because it is no longer secure. Too bad, it was about the only MS OS I ever really liked,

God help me if they update ATMs to Windows 8.

• Admin

I just saw on local news that ATM's are using XP based software and there is a mad rush to update it because it is no longer secure. Too bad, it was about the only MS OS I ever really liked,

There are still some around running 2000 and NT, neither has been supported for years. One small CU here still uses OS/2.

Most run XP, but it isn't a consumer version, rather something like Windows XP Embedded, which MS is supporting until 2016. I have yet to see one that's exposed to the public internet in a fashion that would make it vulnerable. But that isn't going to stop the media from striking up the Panic Parade once again, lol.

The last post in this topic was posted 2553 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.