Sallie Mae Lates Removed (Will They Stay Gone)

MsIndependent

The last post in this topic was posted 3546 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I've recently returned to CB, I was an avid reader/contributor back in 2007 and 2008. I'm looking to buy a house in the next 12 months, so I'd thought I get re-acquainted. Thanks to everyone who posts here. As always, truly amazing bunch of folks on these boards.

I have three private student loans from Sallie Mae that were all reporting lates beginning in September of 2010 through April of 2011. One had 180 days late, three times, the other two 150 days late three times. I entered a payment agreement in February and they agreed to not report any additional lates if I made three payments on time. Well all those lates were killing my credit score and don't look too pretty on manual review.

I disputed two of the three private loans online with Experian. I also disputed 3 other Sallie Mae loans that had been closed, due to a consolidation of all my subsidized loans (and unsubsidized) loans. I disputed the last three because they read "Closed/Transferred, payment deferred." Payment isn't deferred...the balance was paid in full and moved to another loan, new terms, etc.

Well the results came in yesterday (Wednesday) and all the lates were removed from the two private loans that I had disputed. WOW.

Now, I am worried, because I had sent a CM letter on Tuesday to the Consumer Advocate asking for these loans to be reported correctly. Specifically the lates jump from 60 days in November 2010 to 120 days in December 2010. I was thinking at the very least get that fixed and then those 150 and 180 will be reduced. HOWEVER armed with my letter, can the advocate put the late payments BACK on my report? I cannot see my Transunion and Equifax report to know what is reporting there. I use ScoreSense and I can pull the tri-report in 10 days.

Freaking out and hoping I haven't shot myself in the foot here. Patience, patience, patience. Why didn't I just wait one more day?

• 2 months later...

Sorry not to derail the thread here, but just wanted to say I recently disputed a SallieMae 60-day late with TU and Equifax and they both REMOVED the delinquency...

So my advice is: keep trying. I have no idea why they removed it this time, SM always verified it in the past when I tried. It has not been close to 7 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you please post how you disputed the lates, what exactly did you say, etc... I am in the same situation right now, I'm trying to clean up all my SL tradelines. Most online information states Sallie Mae doesn't delete lates, ever...

Apologies for the delayed response. (I'm just realizing, I never followed this thread.)

They are indeed GONE and have stayed GONE. :yahoo:

The lates were on 3 private loans, appearing on both EX and TU (loans were MIA from EQ...another story). They were from late 2010 through March 2011. They went up to +180 and +120. I first disputed as "never late" with Experian and then sent a letter to the Advocate at Sallie Mae. The Advocate sent me an email response basically saying they'd like to help and would get back to me shortly. Then the lates were gone on Experian. Because the timing was so close...I thought....they must have been unverified, right? Which is why I started to panic and thinking my letter might cause a closer review and cause them to be reinserted. My letter didn't ask for a full removal, but for the data to be "reported correctly"....the timing didn't match up. For example one late went from 30 days to one month and then 90 days the next month. What happened to 60 days?? 30+30=60, right? I stated that based on these errors, the entire reporting was suspect.

At this point, having been away from credit report for some years, I didn't realize that TU always lags in updating it's report. So a few weeks later the lates fell off of TU. I was quite the happy camper.

I put this in my ongoing thread: http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=526360&hl=

If you take a peek there, you'll see others have had luck getting some SM lates removed, too. It seems 24 months is the lucky number. Once the lates are 24 months old, they are removed...at least in our very LIMITED testing/experience. :blush:YMMV.

Side note: Advocate also assisted in getting my Sallie Mae consolidated loan re-inserted onto EQ. I didn't push for the private loans to be re-inserted in the event that those lates might "re-appear." Once they get closer to being paid off...or consolidated elsewhere...I'll revisit. Having that installment loan has already helped my EQ score. When there was only revolving on there that score was hyper utilization sensitive, mores than TU and EX with the four installment loans.

Good luck! Let me know if you need any additional information. I'm following the thread now, so I'll get an update if you post.

Persistence seemed to pay off for you! Thanks for the feedback 20!

Do you want to share what you did? Write a letter, just an online dispute, did you file complaints with other agencies, etc, etc...

Just want to bump this with what worked for me.

Very simple: in one of my routine online dispute "clean ups", I claimed that I was never late on my SallieMae loan. I figured, couldn't hurt to keep trying, right?

By this point I'd already disputed this maybe 3 or 4 times, and SallieMae verified my 60-day late every time. But this last time, it completely worked.

My 60-day late was from 2012, which somewhat confirms that 24 months is the magic number for getting a SM late taken off.

What's interesting, is that now for that TL on my reports, it's only reporting the last 24 months of payment history... it's as though they don't bother reporting far back enough to where you would have paid late. It used to go all the way back to when the loan originated, but now only goes back to mid 2012 in my report.

Persistence seemed to pay off for you! Thanks for the feedback 20!

Do you want to share what you did? Write a letter, just an online dispute, did you file complaints with other agencies, etc, etc...

Just want to bump this with what worked for me.

Very simple: in one of my routine online dispute "clean ups", I claimed that I was never late on my SallieMae loan. I figured, couldn't hurt to keep trying, right?

By this point I'd already disputed this maybe 3 or 4 times, and SallieMae verified my 60-day late every time. But this last time, it completely worked.

My 60-day late was from 2012, which somewhat confirms that 24 months is the magic number for getting a SM late taken off.

What's interesting, is that now for that TL on my reports, it's only reporting the last 24 months of payment history... it's as though they don't bother reporting far back enough to where you would have paid late. It used to go all the way back to when the loan originated, but now only goes back to mid 2012 in my report.

Bingo!

• 1 month later...

Its great to hear that someone has had some luck on getting Sallie Mae lates removed. I have tried in the past and never had any luck but i think i'll give it another shot. I haven't had any lates of any kind in over 2 years now so i hope i can have some luck like you guys have. Has anyone else had any luck since this thread was posted ?

Well decided to dispute my old sallie mae account that reads tranferred and closed on my experian report as never late. It shows some lates from 2008 to 2011. I tried this once before and didnt have luck. I'll post how it goes.

Anyone else had any luck getting old lates removed ?

Were the lates valid for the disputed time-period? Have you written good-will letters?

Some of my late's may be valid but a lot of the late's on my reports show late during the times of my deferment and forbearance periods. I spoke with them a couple times before on the phone and the first person I spoke with acted like I might have a case and then the next time I spoke with them the other person said I had a late before those periods that I didn't take care of and it carried on as late even though I was in deferment or forbearance and they wouldn't be nothing they could do about those. After speaking with them the second time I gave up on disputing anything with them since i hadn't seen or heard of anyone having any luck on getting late's removed. Then I seen this thread and seen my reports was only reporting the last 2 years of payments which is all in good standing so I said what heck lets try and see what happens.
Edited by 1stepatatime

The last post in this topic was posted 3546 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.