cv91915

My Credit Union is So Amateur...

Posted (edited)

PenFed sent me an email that recommends how to use the astonishing 1,200 points that I have earned since May of 2013 on my PenFed Useless Rewards Visa. 

Since I have never accumulated enough points for a redemption, these are actually the 1,200 points that are left after PenFed's merciless point expiration routine has chewed up and spit out the rest of my meager balance over time.

Some ideas for my 1,200 remaining points include 9,470 points for a $49 hand mixer (0.5 cents per point!).

CrEjtwf.jpg

Edited by cv91915

So you basically received a courtesy reminder that you have a points balance...

I see a HUGE problem with that, LOL!

1 hour ago, Rogue said:

So you basically received a courtesy reminder that you have a points balance...

I see a HUGE problem with that, LOL!

Thanks for peeling the onion for everyone.

Read all about Alliant's memberlicious procedures when a customer member experiences fraud on his credit card.

Speaking of Alliant (and not sure if this has been mentioned, and not digging through to find out), if you have their credit card, the only option for making a payment is immediately, you can't schedule a payment for a future date, or set up recurring payments.  So your system is smart enough to accept a payment for today, or for a series of future payments, but not a single payment in the future?

Speaking of Alliant (and not sure if this has been mentioned, and not digging through to find out), if you have their credit card, the only option for making a payment is immediately, you can't schedule a payment for a future date, or set up recurring payments.  So your system is smart enough to accept a payment for today, or for a series of future payments, but not a single payment in the future?

Hmm, it’s not just Alliant. Several banks and major credit unions have limitations and glitches in payment scheduling function. It works differently if it is a transfer from the same institution’s deposit account or ACH from another.

At NFCU, you cannot schedule recurring non fixed amount payments (statement balance or full balance) from an external account. :-)

1 hour ago, credit_help said:

Hmm, it’s not just Alliant. Several banks and major credit unions have limitations and glitches in payment scheduling function. It works differently if it is a transfer from the same institution’s deposit account or ACH from another.

At NFCU, you cannot schedule recurring non fixed amount payments (statement balance or full balance) from an external account. 🙂

Enneffseeyou won't even let do an ACH pull from another bank into your Enneffseeyou checking or savings account.  Good lord.

Enneffseeyou won't even let do an ACH pull from another bank into your Enneffseeyou checking or savings account.  Good lord.

I just opened NFCU iOS app and it showed an improved feature: mobile deposits!

e6f1a201a9bd5b4dafbecdc7cd1106ca.jpg

At least, there is a work around if I can find my checkbook. :-)

18 minutes ago, credit_help said:

I just opened NFCU iOS app and it showed an improved feature: mobile deposits!

e6f1a201a9bd5b4dafbecdc7cd1106ca.jpg

At least, there is a work around if I can find my checkbook. 🙂

I think that's been there for a while...  looks like a visual/functional upgrade of some kind.

The workaround I've used is an ACH push from the other bank, you know, for the times I am dying to move money into an Enneffseeyou savings account that pays ~89% less interest than my other liquid savings accounts).

I think that's been there for a while...  looks like a visual/functional upgrade of some kind.

The workaround I've used is an ACH push from the other bank, you know, for the times I am dying to move money into an Enneffseeyou savings account that pays ~89% less interest than my other liquid savings accounts).

That’s what I have used in the past few occasions. :-)

I did not lose my NFCU checking account with 1 cent balance yet.

28 minutes ago, credit_help said:

That’s what I have used in the past few occasions. 🙂

I did not lose my NFCU checking account with 1 cent balance yet.

I've been thinking of closing my checking account and investing that $34 in crypto.

I've been thinking of closing my checking account and investing that $34 in crypto.

I was kicking myself today for not buying bitcoin when it was $20. Today it was around $8,000. I heard it could go higher.

Members can use Zelle to transfer or request cashiers checks. :-)

5b7a10af13e30e3b114d3799fe79aba3.jpg

4 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

My Alliant Visa is set up as:

Auto Payment Category  Minimum payment due from checking

I normally push PIF from an outside account and the scheduled auto payments are auto canceled (unlike some annoying banks which auto-overpay then mail you a check)..

I set it up years ago (and don't remember how) so maybe it's grandfathered but no longer available.

The latest example of CU amateur hour, courtesy of our friends at PenFed:

I wanted to remove my wife as an AU from my Penfed account.  Sent the request via secure message, which would usually do the trick at any normal institution.  Get a note back saying not only can I not remove an AU this way, I need to send the request in writing.  Can't even call in to do so.  I was fully expecting them to require snail mail, but they did at least let you send a scanned letter.  Now I have to go home, compose a letter, scan it and email it where this should've been a 2 minute exercise.

I mean I could see for adding an AU as you are increasing exposure (still stupid but slightly more defendable), but to cancel an AU, just a waste of time.

MEMBERLICIOUS! 

I got a few.

I'm a new member of Alliant,  just joined a week ago haven't done anything with the account or even logged in since last Saturday when I opened the account. Was trying to sign in to the online banking a few hours ago to find the account and routing number to set up direct deposit for my job, and it wouldn't let me and im mysteriously locked out of online banking. Trying to login into the website tells me i'm restricted to online banking while their app has an error message saying theres a special condition on my account or missing information. When I called, the rep tells me to forget trying to use the app and instead use the website on my mobile browser on my phone because it usually is much better then the app (That's pretty bad & sad for what is supposed to be a nationwide "digital" credit union that closed all of their branches except 1 or 2 of them to focus on going digital only) Anyways I explained I tried the site AND app already and tried the website on my desktop computer on 2 browsers and my laptop on 2 different browsers, and we talked for a while then eventually admitted he was clueless and told me he can't see anything wrong from his end so he was forwarding it to someone else and flagged it as high priority and we'll see what happens.

Another stroke of amateur-ness I've come across recently in the world credit of unions, this local credit union that I am also a member of (Mill City Credit Union, the old General Mills credit union or something) merged with another local credit union called City & County Credit Union. They started reissuing new debit cards to the Mill City members around May 2019 and guess what!? My new debit card I received towards the end of May 2019 had an expiration date of May 2019 along with instructions to destroy it! And looking at their Facebook wall, there's other people saying the same thing!

j3GRsnd.png

Edited by PizzaPowerPunch