cv91915

My Credit Union is So Amateur...

My local CU is so amateur that they can't figure out how to refund my secured card security deposit.

I went into a branch and closed the secured card at the end of December, and they told me that they'd have to wait 30 days before refunding my deposit. (huh?)

I played along.

More than 30 days passed so I called and asked for status. They noted that 30 days had passed and said they'd mail me a check that afternoon.

Another week passed and my the balance in my savings account hadn't changed. I called in and got the same rep, who apologized for not understanding that their credit card department had stricter security measures than he'd thought. He assured me that they'd mail the check "soon".

I'm stopping by the branch later today to throttle someone.

My local CU is so amateur that they can't figure out how to refund my secured card security deposit.

I went into a branch and closed the secured card at the end of December, and they told me that they'd have to wait 30 days before refunding my deposit. (huh?)

I played along.

More than 30 days passed so I called and asked for status. They noted that 30 days had passed and said they'd mail me a check that afternoon.

Another week passed and my the balance in my savings account hadn't changed. I called in and got the same rep, who apologized for not understanding that their credit card department had stricter security measures than he'd thought. He assured me that they'd mail the check "soon".

I'm stopping by the branch later today to throttle someone.

This is the same CU that told me that my secured loan wouldn't report as such. Not only did it report as secured, it wasn't even a loan, it was a LOC.

DCU practically implodes when you try to open two CDs on the same day. Documents disappear when you try to take out an auto loan.

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=523825&p=4973647

And they require you to use your member number as your login ID. Who remembers their CU member number? http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=523825&p=4973949

This is the same CU that told me that my secured loan wouldn't report as such. Not only did it report as secured, it wasn't even a loan, it was a LOC.

But, on some level, they should be commended; the secured loan didn't report as a secured loan, just like they said.

Sadly, I think this is standard practice if you're closing a secured card and not converting. They don't want any charges in the pipeline showing up after they turn back your money.

DCU practically implodes when you try to open two CDs on the same day. Documents disappear when you try to take out an auto loan.

And they require you to use your member number as your login ID. Who remembers their CU member number? http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=523825&p=4973949

Apparently NFCU and UNFCU also have this silly, amateur requirement. http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=523825&p=4973952

Sadly, I think this is standard practice if you're closing a secured card and not converting. They don't want any charges in the pipeline showing up after they turn back your money.

30 days is fine. I closed my account on 12/30 and I'm still getting excuses.

BTW, I paid the final balance (<$40) in person, in cash, so they wouldn't have to make sure that the final check cleared.

Edited by cv91915

Unfortunately these CUs systems are programmed to auto pull a credit bureau with an online app, then a human handles the underwriting.

Unfortunately these CUs systems are programmed to auto pull a credit bureau with an online app, then a human handles the underwriting.

Right. Only an amateur would design or approve a workflow that required the CU to pay one of the bureaus for a credit report for an application that had zero chance of being approved. That's just silly.

UNFCU sends an email about your application and the phone number listed in the email gets you a message that says "the extension you entered can't be found".

Right. Only an amateur would design or approve a workflow that required the CU to pay one of the bureaus for a credit report for an application that had zero chance of being approved. That's just silly.

:rofl: :rofl:

how can you have a master thread created after the original thread?

Mine says "Master Thread" in the title.

UNFCU is so amateurish that they lost my $50 funding check that I mailed along with the membership paperwork.

They opened my account with a -$50 balance then told me to fund it or they will close my account.

I am giving them a couple of weeks to see if it will magically appear.

I am thinking about letting it close. How do you lose a paper check that's in front of the paperwork?

UNFCU is so amateurish that they lost my $50 funding check that I mailed along with the membership paperwork.

They opened my account with a -$50 balance then told me to fund it or they will close my account.

I am thinking about letting it close. How do you lose a paper check that's in front of the paperwork?

:lol:

Apparently NFCU and UNFCU also have this silly, amateur requirement. http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=523825&p=4973952

Add PSECU to that list.

18 months? I can't go 18 DAYS without opening something!! :P

I will say, though, that my wife has several new accounts in the last 2 months and was approved with no issue for an auto loan with DCU at the best rate.

the "too many new accounts" decline is the same as "too many inquiries".

never the main reason, just a side note.

I don't see how them doing that makes any sense at all. I can see them opening your account with a $0 balance, with there still being $50 due, but a negative balance?

So what happens when they find your check and deposit it? That brings your balance up to $0. So what happened to your $50 at that point?

It amazes me how places manage to botch procedures that ought to be one of the most common ones they would conduct. Opening/funding new accounts can't be a rarity at this place, can it?

So what happens when they find your check and deposit it? That brings your balance up to $0. So what happened to your $50 at that point?

the $50 is your membership contribution that stays in there as long as you're a member. it's part of your actual balance, but not part of your available balance. he was referencing his available balance at -$50.