Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Your techniques for getting funds off a credit card

The last post in this topic was posted 2539 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I currently have a 0% APR for 6 months balance transfer offer available on one of my cards. I can make transfers online or use a transfer check, but I'd like to avoid the 3% transfer fee that is involved.

What methods have you used in the past to get funds off of a credit card to avoid or reduce fees?

Do you have a credit card and checking account with USAA?

I am not a full member, so I have checking accounts with USAA but no credit card accounts.

I currently have a 0% APR for 6 months balance transfer offer available on one of my cards. I can make transfers online or use a transfer check, but I'd like to avoid the 3% transfer fee that is involved.

What methods have you used in the past to get funds off of a credit card to avoid or reduce fees?

Buy through BigCrumbs (hopefully using my referral) an Amex gift card and currently get a 2.2% bonus rebate, but BE CERTAIN your credit card issuer will not treat it as a cash advance like Barclay's did to me. NFCU is safe for example.

You can also open an Amazon Payments account and send $1000 per month (perhaps using your Amex gift card or the account you want to run up) to another person fee free.

Buy through BigCrumbs (hopefully using my referral) an Amex gift card and currently get a 2.2% bonus rebate, but BE CERTAIN your credit card issuer will not treat it as a cash advance like Barclay's did to me. NFCU is safe for example.

You can also open an Amazon Payments account and send $1000 per month (perhaps using your Amex gift card or the account you want to run up) to another person fee free.

Maybe I'm being dense, but how does the Amex gift card help me to get cash off the card? It seems like I'd just be stuck with funds on another payment card instead.

Maybe I'm being dense, but how does the Amex gift card help me to get cash off the card? It seems like I'd just be stuck with funds on another payment card instead.

this only helps if you're trying to meet a minimum spend on the card within a certain time period. you can save those gift cards and use them as you need.

this doesn't help you turn the credit into cash.

In the old days some CC issuers would allow to BT to a checking account. I haven't done it for years but BOA and Chase used to allow this.

Another old-timers trick was to BT to a CC that had zero balance. This created a negative balance and the issuer of the receiving card would send you a check.

I'm guessing both these pre-crash techniques would be frowned upon these days. Just mentioned it for nostalgic reasons.

What is the significance of the USAA Checking or credit card with a balance transfer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What is the significance of the USAA Checking or credit card with a balance transfer?

You can fund new USAA accounts with a credit card, up to $500 (?) if I recall. However, that option no longer seems to be available to me since I already have established accounts.

You can fund new USAA accounts with a credit card, up to $500 (?) if I recall. However, that option no longer seems to be available to me since I already have established accounts.

USAA will HP for a savings account, they did me when I reopened a closed one.

You can cash advance from a USAA CC to a USAA checking account with no fees (except for a few days of interest) and then balance transfer the CC. I seem to remember a limit per advance I think may be a $2000 limit per cash advance. It's been a few years though so look into this before you take my word for it.

Purchase PIN gift cards in $500 denominations with a $4.95 activation fee and upload to Blue Bird and transfer the funds to checking, etc.

This. Or Vanilla Reloads.

You can cash advance from a USAA CC to a USAA checking account with no fees (except for a few days of interest) and then balance transfer the CC. I seem to remember a limit per advance I think may be a $2000 limit per cash advance. It's been a few years though so look into this before you take my word for it.

Doing that will hit you with cash advance fees. The account funding seems like the best option.

I just opened a capital one 360 savings. I funded with my debit card. Not sure what the limit was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing that will hit you with cash advance fees. The account funding seems like the best option.

I just opened a capital one 360 savings. I funded with my debit card. Not sure what the limit was.

While I don't advise it and wouldn't do it myself - USAA's terms do state that if you transfer funds from the CC to a USAA checking account, there are no cash advance fees. Some use this as a LOC that USAA does not offer otherwise. PSECU has this feature as well...

Edited by TrevorHere

While I don't advise it and wouldn't do it myself - USAA's terms do state that if you transfer funds from the CC to a USAA checking account, there are no cash advance fees. Some use this as a LOC that USAA does not offer otherwise. PSECU has this feature as well...

An alternate credit card? I use my USAA credit card as a checking account back up. A few months ago I had an account set up to pay in full and accidentally emptied my checking account. USAA cash advanced my CC and hit me with a fee. I wouldn't advise using USAA CC in such a fashion.

An alternate credit card? I use my USAA credit card as a checking account back up. A few months ago I had an account set up to pay in full and accidentally emptied my checking account. USAA cash advanced my CC and hit me with a fee. I wouldn't advise using USAA CC in such a fashion.

There wasn't supposed to be a fee. This has happened a couple of times with my USAA account, and I've never been charged a penny.

Cash Advance Cash Advance: 3% of the amount of each cash advance (maximum fee for a convenience check: $200). Fee waived when transferring funds electronically to a USAA deposit account.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/credit_cards_rates_and_fees_regular

The last post in this topic was posted 2539 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.