Sign in to follow this  
seetheworld1

Anybody use DCU as main bank?

Hi,

I just got an auto loan and CC with DCU. The auto loan rate is 2.99 percent, but DCU says the rate could be 1.99 percent if I direct deposit my entire paycheck with them. I initially said no but am now reconsidering, since the lower rate would represent a savings of about $700 over the life of the loan (although I hope to pay it off early). So I wanted to know if anyone uses DCU as primary bank and if so, how are they? How reliable is their bill pay? Auto pay? App? Website? Customer service? I'm a little leery because they were very disorganized when I was getting the loan closed -- documents disappeared; multiple requests for docs I'd already sent resulting in a need to reapp for membership, causing me a third HP with them. It didn't really inspired confidence. Anybody have any feedback about them? I currently bank with Chase (there are branches all over my neighborhood, which is great) and my work CU (although they denied me an auto loan refi a year ago so I don't have any loyalty to them anymore.) I'm okay closing my work CU account and giving that to DCU, but the main account? Not sure sure. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I bank with them and have part of my paycheck direct deposited there as well. Never had any issues paying bills and customer service is very pleasant to deal with.

Hi,

I just got an auto loan and CC with DCU. The auto loan rate is 2.99 percent, but DCU says the rate could be 1.99 percent if I direct deposit my entire paycheck with them. I initially said no but am now reconsidering, since the lower rate would represent a savings of about $700 over the life of the loan (although I hope to pay it off early). So I wanted to know if anyone uses DCU as primary bank and if so, how are they? How reliable is their bill pay? Auto pay? App? Website? Customer service? I'm a little leery because they were very disorganized when I was getting the loan closed -- documents disappeared; multiple requests for docs I'd already sent resulting in a need to reapp for membership, causing me a third HP with them. It didn't really inspired confidence. Anybody have any feedback about them? I currently bank with Chase (there are branches all over my neighborhood, which is great) and my work CU (although they denied me an auto loan refi a year ago so I don't have any loyalty to them anymore.) I'm okay closing my work CU account and giving that to DCU, but the main account? Not sure sure. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I opened two CDs at DCU on the same day once, and I could have just as well asked them to negotiate an international treaty. They were very confused and called me several times.

I know that everyone here loves their CUs, but I've never met more ineptitude in any other category of financial services companies. It's not just DCU. Patelco thoroughly botched the world's simplest refi for me, and my local CU is staffed with people who are filled with erroneous information about how the world works.

Never heard of them.

They are talked about all the time on CB. Does free EQ FICO ring a bell?

Hi,

I opened two CDs at DCU on the same day once, and I could have just as well asked them to negotiate an international treaty. They were very confused and called me several times.

I know that everyone here loves their CUs, but I've never met more ineptitude in any other category of financial services companies. It's not just DCU. Patelco thoroughly botched the world's simplest refi for me, and my local CU is staffed with people who are filled with erroneous information about how the world works.

Im my experience with NFCU, they are organized, knowledgable and well run, but I agree with 100% on DCU. The third-party service they use to take apps and handle calls when they are busy compounds the problems as well.

I am slowly transitioning my primary to DCU and have not experienced any major issues. Actually recently completed an outgoing wire transfer which went smoothly, initiated online after-hours, and it was completed the next day after they called me to confirm.

I have not had to call in too much so I would not be able to comment on the customer service. However the online banking and mobile deposit is pretty spot on IMHO, and the free FICO is AWESOME.

My experiences were similar to yours. When trying to change over my direct deposit I was given the incorrect info and it's going to my savings account.

I've also had an issue twice where my credit card would decline and when called their system was performing maintenance. It's in the sock drawer now.

Overall I'm happy with them but wouldn't use them as my main. YMMV.

Edited by 12lbRooster

Never heard of them.

They are talked about all the time on CB. Does free EQ FICO ring a bell?

Hi,

Im my experience with NFCU, they are organized, knowledgable and well run, but I agree with 100% on DCU. The third-party service they use to take apps and handle calls when they are busy compounds the problems as well.

There are exceptions to every rule.

CUs are almost singularly focused on keeping costs low, which reflects in the paychecks of their employees, which impacts their ability to attract talent.

Not that banks pay a lot, but there is unlimited upward mobility at a huge company like Wells Fargo, and seven figure incomes are possible for mortgage loan officers there and at other large mortgage originators. At a CU you top out at Chief Penny Pincher.

who says you have to DD your entire paycheck with them? how do they know what your entire paycheck is?

I have $300 of my check go there every other week and that qualifies me for their relationship level on my checking/autoloan/etc. I think as long as you have $500 total direct deposited in a month, you get the relationship level.

who says you have to DD your entire paycheck with them? how do they know what your entire paycheck is?

If you've ever filled out a credit application with them they'd have an idea what your net pay range would be, but you're kidding yourself if you think they're that sophisticated. :D

Plus, this metric would be difficult thing for any institution to try to figure out, especially if a chunk of your pay is commission, or varies throughout the year because different deductions max at different points on the calendar and stop being withheld [(401(k), SS tax, ESPP, etc.].

Hi,

Just deposit your entire paycheck with them, then move it to the bank(s) or CU(s) of your choice. It's an easy $700. :D

Hi,

Just deposit your entire paycheck with them, then move it to the bank(s) or CU(s) of your choice. It's an easy $700. :D

That's an idea...

If you've ever filled out a credit application with them they'd have an idea what your net pay range would be, but you're kidding yourself if you think they're that sophisticated. :D

Plus, this metric would be difficult thing for any institution to try to figure out, especially if a chunk of your pay is commission, or varies throughout the year because different deductions max at different points on the calendar and stop being withheld [(401(k), SS tax, ESPP, etc.].

Ha!I wish that was the case. My paycheck is all I've got. One of my New Year's resolutions -- besides improving my credit, which is going rather nicely -- is to earn some more money. That lotto thing isn't really working out ... ;)

I have accounts with them. Checking, Savings, CC, 2 previous Auto Loans. I don't use them as my primary bank because I don't like the UI and they have an ugly website.

Not saying they're a bad financial institution... I just don't like how their site functions. :D

I have accounts with them. Checking, Savings, CC, 2 previous Auto Loans. I don't use them as my primary bank because I don't like the UI and they have an ugly website.

Not saying they're a bad financial institution... I just don't like how their site functions. :D

That reminds me... I also have a serious issue with any company that requires you to remember your member number in order to log into their web site. WHATEVER.

That reminds me... I also have a serious issue with any company that requires you to remember your member number in order to log into their web site. WHATEVER.

Agreed!

NFCU, UNFCU both do that as well. :)

NFCU, UNFCU both do that as well. :)

I don't use NFCU, either. They have an ugly interface as well. I also don't like they way they post payments.

NFCU is good for keeping my utilization looking pretty, and once a year 0% BT offers.

I like DCU for the free fico, low car loan rates (1.99) with digital docu-sign, they gave me a 10k visa when I was somewhere around 2 years post bk. With all that being said, I have enough direct direct deposit going to DCU cover my car loan and $25 extra just in case I put something on the Visa.

interestingly, UNFCU does that on the main site, but in the mobile app/site they let you setup a username. but that username doesn't work on the main site.

very weird.