Guide to preventing cyber crime.

The last post in this topic was posted 2661 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Well folks, it appears that this whole cyber hacking thing is getting out of hand. Seems like every day on the news, so and so got hacked, so and so's credit card was hacked, so and so store was hacked.

Either the hackers are getting smarter, or they finally found exploits in security systems.

As such, I've developed a guide to prevent attacks.

1. Prevent money from being taken.

Call your credit card company and asked if you can have your cards "frozen". Not all CCC's can do this. Do this for all cards you don't plan on using that much, such as "sock drawered" cards. Thieves can't use your cards if they are blocked.

Explore all options for alerts. Some issuers will allow you to have your phone texted, or an email sent every time your card is used. This is very helpful so that you can see if your card was used without you present. Don't be one of those people that read their statements in the mail, and THEN find out something happen.

Always leave enough cash at home (in a safe location) to cover one month's of expenses in case your bank accounts or credit cards are compromised. That way you won't have as much headache trying to get your money back. ALWAYS have a back up plan. While your money is insured at a bank, it might take days for it to be replaced.

If your issuer or bank does not have an alerts option, log into all your accounts every 24 hours to monitor for any transactions you do not recognize.

2. Secure your access.

Create very strong passwords for all your financial sites. Don't use Happy123 , use H#!42X+F if your site allows you to use special characters. Programs that "brute force" the login of a website take much longer to break your password, the more complex it is.

Never give your passwords to anyone. I'm sure this is a no-brainer to some, but you would be surprised.

Don't leave blank checks laying around the house. If thieves break into your house, they can write many checks if the total is under $100, as many places do not ask for ID if the total is under $100.

3. Secure your info.

Enroll in credit protection. Target is currently offering a free year of monitoring for anyone. Link here:https://creditmonitoring.target.com/

If you receive a phone call asking you to confirm transactions on your credit card, or anything that asks for sensitive info, immediately hang up the phone. Contact the company instead. You never know if the person on the end of an incoming phone call is the real deal, as caller ID information can easily be faked.

Do not ever make purchases over the phone. Wiretaps can be installed on your line, which can record the DTMF tones of your keypad, your card number could be stolen without you knowing.

Likewise, never give your Credit Card number over the phone to a live person. How do YOU know that person won't try and ring up charges with your info? Giving a live agent your credit card number is like handing them a bag with $10,000 in it and saying "now don't spend it".

While online payments for goods and services aren't bullet proof (as we have seen on the news), giving your numbers over the phone is 10 times worse.

4. Secure your computer.

Make complex log ins for your computer, and install a good anti-virus such as Norton 360. Thieves can install viruses on your computer that can take screenshots or key-log any sensitive information you type. If your router has a firewall, enable it.

If your wireless router does not require a password, then make one for it. If you can hard-wire your computer do so.

5. Secure your cards.

Keep your credit cards with you, and on you, at all times. Put any un-used cards in a safety deposit box (if your bank allows). If thieves break into your house, they can ring up purchases worth thousands in a matter of hours. If it's a card you don't use often, then it might not be until you get a statement that you knew it was stolen.

Never leave your purse or wallet unattended.

If your credit or debit card has a "wireless payment" option, also known as "paywave", "paypass", etc, store your cards in a metal wallet. Thieves can be in a large area such as a sports stadium or a shopping mall, and leach your information off your cards using scanners.

I have a very good feeling this cyber crime will become larger, so everyone needs to do everything they can in their power to thwart such attacks. I know some of this information is common sense to some member here, but I don't want to see anyone have their money stolen.

Edited by FixMyCredit92

Somebody check to make sure this wasn't copied. We'd rather not be threatened with a lawsuit. Not and accusation, but just in case.....

This was just about my exact thought.

Raging alcoholic sobers up in 3 hours, after spending day at MF...

Somebody check to make sure this wasn't copied. We'd rather not be threatened with a lawsuit. Not and accusation, but just in case.....

This was just about my exact thought.

Raging alcoholic sobers up in 3 hours, after spending day at MF...

LOL! Because we all know MF ALWAYS gives the right information....site is a joke. There's an individual there with 2k posts and not one individual card to his name.

Edited by Steve_O

I see a lot of similarly formatted things (one from CNN,) but nothing an exact lift yet.

Will somebody please ban this poster? I don't post here often, and even I am annoyed.

We will see. But it seems at least more than 5 people are getting pissed off by FMC92, what, third day in a row ??? and the sentiment is of that variety, for sure.

And the action has continued.

Going to sleep now. Will check back tomorrow, no matter what, since that action is a call for the Moderators and Admin, in RE: to, anyone, really...

Edited by rslifkin

The last post in this topic was posted 2661 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.