Sign in to follow this  
thelowpriceleader

JC Penney - Northern California - ID Required

This chain seems to be willfuilly violating in Northern California (Sacramento, Chico, Yuba City) and requiring ID. Store Management is indifferent and despite a lot of lip service, nothing changes.

This chain seems to be willfuilly violating in Northern California (Sacramento, Chico, Yuba City) and requiring ID. Store Management is indifferent and despite a lot of lip service, nothing changes.

It remains unclear to me how or why a store has yet to be forced to change its policy of requiring to see I.D.

I once used the websites to report an IHOP in my area, and the local K-Mart are "show ID" police cashiers as well - they really get off on it, and come across super condescendingly (as most young people tend to do, "Hey, I am just doing my job. I wont lose my job over you" is what they say, if pressed hard.) And guess what.. They still ask for I.D.

Maybe someone can explain how a store asking for I.D. can be made not to, because I simply do not see it.

Also, it does appear that the stores that have the policy to deny service/sale to someone who wont show an I.D.. like it that way.

I've heard a lot about this topic, and still cannot, for the life of me, understand why a consumer would be upset about this. Personally, I would rather have someone ask me for ID when using my card than not. I can understand not needing ID when a customer uses a debit card, which requires a PIN.

If you lost your wallet and someone used your card without the necessity of providing an ID, even if it only cost you the $50 limit on the card, I would be willing to bet you would be highly upset that you had to pay the $50.

I've occasionally used my debit card at a store where it had to be processed as a credit card, rather than debit (just the store's policy), and I was asked for an ID. I wasn't offended by it.

I've heard a lot about this topic, and still cannot, for the life of me, understand why a consumer would be upset about this. Personally, I would rather have someone ask me for ID when using my card than not. I can understand not needing ID when a customer uses a debit card, which requires a PIN.

If you lost your wallet and someone used your card without the necessity of providing an ID, even if it only cost you the $50 limit on the card, I would be willing to bet you would be highly upset that you had to pay the $50.

I agree with the above. I don't see what the big deal is about having to show an ID, either.

The main credit gurus that are basically MILITANT about NOT being required to show I.D. (because the credit merchant agreements FORBID it) HAVE been silent on their objections as of late, yes...

Edited by rslifkin

The policy for visa and mastercard states merchants can't ask for ID. AMEX states they they can ask but doesn't recommend it. The key reason for this is you are giving your ID with your drivers license number to a a stranger. Just because they work for the company you are purchasing from doesnt mean they are honest. It helps prevent ID theft. If you were to me your drivers license number and name I can apply for credit.

The beliefis it requires your social security number is false. If anyone would like to test that please post your name and drivers license number and check you credit a few months later. You can dispute charges on a credit card but it will be a lot harder to get your identity back.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    mic2smooth
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines