Sign in to follow this  
duckford

CLI strategies

Hi all,

A year ago, post-cleanup, I went on an app spree that landed me about 12 cards. Since then, I've routed spending through each of approximately 5-10x the monthly limit, with varying amounts. (For example, on a 10k card the sum of spend for the year would be somewhere between 50-100k). Each month each account was paid in full on time.

Current scores 720-740, no baddies, no debt, high income.

Now, I want to go to them and ask for CLI's. A few questions:

1. Any way to avoid hard pulls?

2. Is there a best method (I.e. talking to an underwriter, online, old school postal mail...?) / methods to be avoided?

3. Should I ask for a specific amount, and if so, what formula? (I.e. 2x current limit, etc)

4. I was thinking to play it like this: say I have a 10k limit card, I'd send in the documentation of spending through a 20k card and say "I like your card better (because of rewards, service, whatever) - but as you can see, the limit is too small... can you match xyz bank's limit?" - good, bad, or any better suggestions?

Would it also be good/bad/irrelevant? to send in other supporting financial data, like aggregate spend of hundreds of thousands monthly, tax returns, bank statements, etc?

Why it matters: I have a small business and used to simply have a corporate purchasing card program through them for hundreds of k, but they merged in the crisis and stopped offering that program. Other banks seem to be taking the easy profits from prolonged 0% fed fund rates rather than actually providing banking services, and so I'm basically stuck managing a zillion personal card accounts to do our routine monthly buying.

As always, thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Your payments are on your credit report so there is no real need to be sending them any documents. If these are personal cards I would also be hesitant to tell them that you are using them for business purposes. Might get you into issues with rewards programs.

Have you checked the credit pulls database for each of your cards to see what other cb users have received?

It might help if you list the cards on here, someone might see something and make a suggestion. What works for XXXX company might not work for XXXX company.

Your payments are on your credit report so there is no real need to be sending them any documents. If these are personal cards I would also be hesitant to tell them that you are using them for business purposes. Might get you into issues with rewards programs.

Have you checked the credit pulls database for each of your cards to see what other cb users have received?

It might help if you list the cards on here, someone might see something and make a suggestion. What works for XXXX company might not work for XXXX company.

Agreed duckford, list the cards.

My guess is citi TY premier with 5 points/$ promo or WF (though it would be unusual to do that kind of multiple with WF).

some cards have a CLI button on the website, others you have to call. it really all depends on who they're with.