Sign in to follow this  
SharpAsAMarble

Amex BCE - A few Questions

I listed individual income on my Amex app. I have read threads where people listed HHI. Should I call them in 6 months or so and change it to HHI in hopes for a larger limit on a CLI?

I looked for a "Master HHI CC" or similar thread to see which cards actually allow HHI on apps (after the fact). I didn't find one with various search terms. Does one exist and I am just missing it? I'm done with apps but thought a "Master CC HHI" thread might be useful for others in the future. If you all think it would be useful/helpful, is there a CC guru willing to start one?

I have an Amazon Prime membership due to expire in March. I plan on canceling it just before it's scheduled to auto renew in hopes to use the link from Amex to sign back up and receive the $79 statement credit. Will that work? I ask because it specifically states "new" memberships and not sure it will fall under new; technically my membership wouldn't be new as I would have had a previous membership. Has anyone cancelled Prime, signed back up with the Amex and received the statement credit?

I tried to log in with the reference code they emailed me. It stated I could create an account with the reference number, log in and update statement preferences, etc.. For some reason, that link takes me to a page that asks me why I need my CC number. Not expecting that page, I still went through the motions and selected "I didn't write it down" (I don't remember what it actually said, but I didn't select lost or stolen or any of those). I click next and it told me I couldn't receive the CC number and instead the card would arrive in 5-7 days. What am I missing here? No big deal, I can wait for the CC to arrive; I just thought it was odd I couldn't do what the email said I could. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

IME HHI seems to be the norm again.

If it's not HHI that's requested it'll say "Individual income" (or similar) on the form when you fill out a new app or a request for a CLI.

The issuers that I've called (as opposed to filling out a form online) have been clear when I ask for the distinction: I am free to use HHI if I would like both incomes to be considered.

This is the reason I've delayed CLI requests on my Amex revolvers: When they send me a 4506-T (not if, they already have, but I'm postponing the entire episode) I want them to check my 2013 return, which will be my first joint return since we got married.

The reason is obvious. :D

We won't even file our 2013 return until late Feb or early March, depending on when I can get in with my tax guy, so I'll probably request a CLI from Amex again in April or May and hope they send me a 4506-T again.

as long as you file joint, HHI is fine because the 4506T just sends them the joint return. but if you file separately, that's all they're going to see.

as long as you file joint, HHI is fine because the 4506T just sends them the joint return. but if you file separately, that's all they're going to see.

There is no question that we're filing a joint return. It's a critical artifact to establish the legitimacy of our marriage when we go to the interview for my spouse's Green Card in a couple of months. WE know it's legit, but we have to prove it to others now. :P