Sign in to follow this  
stevenwe

5 months before SOL ends, 30K citibank debt , whats the move

BTW, the Google Drive links worked fine for me. you probably have to have a Google Drive account to view them.

You just have to be signed in to Google. I didn't even look at the URLs, just clicked them. :blush: I stay signed out of Google by default because I don't like to be tracked.

if I were sued for 30k, I would most certainly enlist the help of a qualified attorney regardless.

That depends. Want to fight them getting a judgement in the first place or want to fight to rescind an improper one issued in default?

Is an attny my next step? I still wasn't properly served

You have the summons and complaint. How were you not properly served? You didn't answer the door...should have just accepted papers.This wont mean anything in court.

That depends. Want to fight them getting a judgement in the first place or want to fight to rescind an improper one issued in default?

I'm not sure.. But another summons came in yesterday's mail... Sent regular mail, not certified,

I really don't know how to proceed

Is an attny my next step? I still wasn't properly served

You have the summons and complaint. How were you not properly served? You didn't answer the door...should have just accepted papers.This wont mean anything in court.

You, of all people, should know that just because he has the papers, doesn't mean he was properly served. And, you answered your own question in your post.

I'm not sure.. But another summons came in yesterday's mail... Sent regular mail, not certified,

I really don't know how to proceed

For a $30K debt, I'd get a lawyer.

spoke to lawyer today .... reason i hesitated is bec CB is all about doing things yourself ,,,, and i was really hoping that the CB collective knowledge would be greater than attny

CB knowledge is great for fixing derogs on your CR.

there is no cheap substitute for an attorney when you're being sued for 30k.

Yeah, You cant take CB to court with you. 3K maybe pro-se, 30K... No.

that is what I have been saying the entire time. a small amount then I would roll the dice. From what I read, if you put up a fight over $1800 they may just back off because it is not worth their time. If they see that you are pro-se over 30k then they are going to come at you hard. All they have to do is get you to file 1 paper wrong or not answer correctly and you would have a judgment for 30K + + +.

Just curious about the lawyer you talked to. Do they want to charge a flat fee or a % of the lawsuit?

ok update..... i spoke with a lawyer and he wanted alot and i never actually signed the retainer ... been checking the credit report daily and no judgement or default judgement showed up ... but today, june 14, 2014 a call comes in from a rep from the lawfirm , saying

"he got our message a few months ago about making a deal and wanted to know if i wanted to make a payment plan , ... i responded that i am a bit busy right now and can he call back in an hour...."end of conversation

my questionis , jun 2008 was the last payment ever made on this account , and had been in delininquent status ever since dec 2007 ,,, can i assume that i am totally out of SOL at this point ..? do i have to worry that since lawfirm tried to serve me via NON certified mail and has court index number that the SOL gets extended?

p.s. this is not for me but i typed in first hand bec its easier

If they have filed a complaint against you in court, and its pending being served or has been served but is awaiting a court date the SOL is tolled I believe.

Checking you CR for a judgement isnt foolproof, you need to look on your local courts website.

This run and hide approach without being proactive is honestly stupid, very stupid.

1000's of people on here got into trouble by ignoring their issues, and now have spent or are spending TONS of time and energy to resolve those issues after the fact.

Retainer that attorney, Itll be the best money you spent yet... A default judgement against you definitely wont help you.

If they have filed a complaint against you in court, and its pending being served or has been served but is awaiting a court date the SOL is tolled I believe.

Checking you CR for a judgement isnt foolproof, you need to look on your local courts website.

This run and hide approach without being proactive is honestly stupid, very stupid.

1000's of people on here got into trouble by ignoring their issues, and now have spent or are spending TONS of time and energy to resolve those issues after the fact.

Retainer that attorney, Itll be the best money you spent yet... A default judgement against you definitely wont help you.

i agree ,

question... is lawfirm allowed to call at this point?

i agree ,

question... is lawfirm allowed to call at this point?

Why wouldnt they be? Did you send them a cease and desist?

They served you 6 months ago. There's likely already a default judgment against you. I hope you don't have a lot of money sitting in your bank accounts right now.

no judgement entered as of 2 weeks ago ..

no money in bank ,,, no job

Did you ever retain an attorney? If you don't have an income you should be able to get one pro bono.

As others have said, the amount is too high to fool around or ignore this.