Sign in to follow this  
foshizzle

Budgeting and saving money, the mother thread...

don't know if this site was linked somewhere in this forum but i do know that some ideas were touched on... such as using energy efficient lightbulbs.

Alliance to Save Energy

some of the ideas there are pretty easy, tho using a ceiling fan in my place would send one of my cats into cardiac arrest... she's absolutely TERRIFIED of the thing! don't know if she thinks a giant hawk or UFO is after her or what...lol!

and making sure i have a full load of laundry... no need since i have an energy efficient front loader that determines the amount of water needed... and my dryer senses dryness and stops on it's own rather than going on unnecessarily. :blink:

and as i sit here in front of my computer listening to a home shopping show selling Food Saver vaccuum sealers, i'm wondering, does anyone here have one and is it really worth it? my fiance said he kinda wanted one but is it *really* worth spending the money on something like that in order to buy cheese n other stuff in bulk and it not go to waste as quickly?

I wanna see your husband's spreadsheet! All info blanked out of course! And your idea about a financial planner might just make my wife open up to the idea more. I've been wanting to pay a financial planner but she doesn't. I say it's worth the money, she's not so sure. I KNOW OUR BUDGET IS A TRAIN WRECK! I also know we both make enough to cover all our expenses and then some, but we just don't. *SIGH*

read a fiction book, about a mexican woman's life... I sometimes like reading books written about someone from a poor background. Sometimes there are tips to be gotten from them. This book gave the mexican student's diet, mushroom and potato tacos, and refried beans over toast. I sometimes shop aldi's, they have white bread for .39 and I think refried beans for .59, looks like a cheap meal to me.

My dad was given a vacuum sealer after my mom passed away. He was able to do most his shopping in one trip by buying his meats/cheese in bulk and bread at a thrift store. DH & I bought him an upright freezer becaus ehe had to fix his meals form scratch due to diabetes and a very restricted diet. He loved his food sealer. Besides using it for meats and cheeses, he also would cook up meals that would be several portions. Then he would freeze those portions as well. Things like chicken/fish off a grill, meatloaf, veggie dishes. Al lhe had to do to reheat the items was put the vacuum bag into a pot of hot water. DH & I plan to get one to use fo rleftovers, especially since we have a very large chest freezer.

Don't forget to check for bread thrift stores. In our area bread is usually 3/$1.99 but about every 2 months they do a 1 day sale at 2/$1. We stock up big time then. If you want the freshest bread, look at the color of the tie. The ties are put on during the week in alphabetical order: blue/green/orange/red/white/yellow

I subscribe to Cheapstakes newsletter. Today there was mention of a website/company that pays consumers for their used printer cartridges. Not all printers are represented; however, seems as if they have quite a few. Here is the website: http://www.empties4cash.com/MainFrame.html The newsletter also mentioned that the company pays for postage. Not sure if they do or not, I am at work and have not had an opportunity to read it yet.

However, here is a way to add a little cash to the savings. Up to $4.00 per cartridges.

In some cases, it pays to spend money to save money.

I pay $1 a week to subscribe to www.thegrocerygame.com .  The people who run it scan the sales and the coupons to maximize the grocery dollar.  I seriously can save at least $300 per month on groceries by spending $4 a month plus the cost of 2 Sunday papers every week - subscription.  (I don't have the time to do what they do.)  I use the list to stockpile items that I use regularly.  I very rarely pay over $2 for anything in the grocery store, and most items are under $1 and many are free.  (If anyone wants a referral, send me a PM for the email addy.)  Oh, they offer a free one-month trial, too.

Along this same line, I have a friend who is the most frugal person I have ever met.  BUT on some things, she's spending more - things like electronics and other stuff that she uses daily.  Why?  Because she goes for the cheapest thing she can find, and has to replace them more frequently.  For some reason she's always surprised to hear that my <insert item here> has lasted me three times as long as hers did, and when I say well, because it's a good brand it cost a bit more, she always says "I could never pay that much."  She just doesn't get that she's already paid double that by having to replace hers while mine is still going strong. :roll:

Buying in bulk is not always the best deal.  (See the paragraph re: groceries above.)  But stockpiling and storing non-perishables is a great deal.  I seriously have like 50 each toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, deodorant, etc. that I got for less than $.50 each (most free) stockpiled in my bathroom.  Don't ask me how much TP I have, and not the cheap stuff.  Cleaning supplies, laundry supplies, huge hordes of those as well. Non-perishable food.  If we were to lose our income then it wouldn't be hard for us to cut our expenditures as 90% of our food shopping would happen in our garage, and we'd not have to buy personal hygiene items for a couple of years at least :rolleyes:

great topic, Char!

I just found the grocery game site and I love it.

Unfortunately the Grocery Game doesn't have service in my area -- bummer!  It looks like an awsome site.

sunshinemb, try the fourms at this site.

http://dealagogo.com/

People post the deals the find with the coupons from Sunday papers, online coupons, etc. for most all of the big store chains.

Can someone please explain grocerygame.com to me in a little more detail. I checked it out and they only store they have in my area is the MOST EXPENSIVE STORE in my area and my husband and I don't shop there at all. I'll try to research it further, but I don't like to give my CC info and then get caught after the free trial (b/c i forgot to cancel and they don't give a refund).

The pricing info is confusing. How and why does it vary from store to store?

After your optional* 4 Week $1 Trial, TERI'S LIST is just $10 every 8 weeks for the first store LIST you choose, and $5 every 8 weeks for each additional store LIST (if more than one store LIST is available in your area). Example: 1 store List: $10 every 8 weeks, 2 store Lists: $15 every 8 weeks, 3 store Lists: $20 every 8 weeks. Cancel anytime!

What is all this about?

In regard to saving electricity, I have my computer on a battery backup which I can turn off every night. Also, I have a significant amount of home theater equipment which runs on a large surge protector. The AT&T receiver is plugged into the wall so it doesn't have to restart every day, but the TV, stereo receiver, and DVD player gets turned off every night via the surge protector. I estimate it saves around $10 a month in my electric bill. Hey, that's something.

Excellent article!! Some real practical ways to save money, finally! I read or heard somewhere that people's spending/ saving habits usually become concrete during their early 20's (Which makes sense) If only there was a way to encourage the younger generations to take up the habit of budgeting.

I am going to try the grocery game. I just looked at the website and am already an avid coupon clipper. I am currently spending $150 - $225 for a 2 adult household. I think this can be scaled down greatly. My teenage son will be joining us this summer, so I really need to get my budgeting in check.

Here is a tip for those that live in areas with Walgreens. Do their "Free After Rebate" stuff each month. In the past two years, I have accumulated $660 worth of free merchandise - you can track it on their website and they show you the past two years of rebates for you. (Mostly stuff like toothpastes, toothbrushes, deoderants, body washes, shampoos, etc.) I put this money into my HSBC account. It's a great way to stockpile stuff you are going to buy anyway and to set up an Emergency Fund.

I don't mean to look like a spammer or anything, but Mint.com has been very useful for me. It show's you where all of your money goes and can help you with your goals. It's kind of like a free online version of Quicken.