Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

WEX terminated my fleet card after 2 weeks, now what?

The last post in this topic was posted 2487 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I had the card for 13 days, got a letter from WEX Bank stating account was terminated after review. I have the basic starters, 6 TL's in total, less WEX. Light file with Jiffy Lube and Conoco denials as well within last month. What should my next move be....I'd like to build up my file, but I'm gun shy after this WEX trickery.

Don't worry about it to much its pretty common for WEX to do that.. Why they even bother closing a account after two weeks is beyond me. If your going to screw them all you need is a few days. Just get more trades and history. The only issue you may have is getting a WEX card again if you even want one. Some people have issues getting approved after a incident like this.

Had issue with WEX last month where they wanted my bank to write letter of reference in order to keep account open after having it now almost 90 days, Bank wrote the letter and cards turned back on

They are funny because in a way they can be fairly lenient in approvals but sometimes upon further review they get nervous and close accounts. Makes no sense you give some one a credit line and then change your mind but allow them to use it for a few weeks or more.

I just got approved for a Wex backed card as well (ExxonMobile), and I'm wondering is there anything that one can do to at least reduce the risk of Wex closing it out after 2 weeks?

One couple idea came to mind, but IDK if it would actually work or not:

Using the cards right away, almost maxing them out, and then paying down most of the balance *before* the statement hits (since by the time the statement hits it might already be too late.) Thinking this would be a way to reassure them that one is not gonna rack up a bunch of charges and leave them holding the bag. It also shows usage, and might encourage a CLI.

What do yall think?

Also, has anyone who's Wex account has been terminated ever successfully gotten Wex to recon the termination?

That is a really bad idea. Running up any account to the limit right away could cause issues especially with WEX and you won't get it overturned. Just use the card normally. Most closures are more due to lack of credit history so the usage thing won't really help anything.

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd add my "two cents". I applied for Citgo, Marathon, and Exxon a month ago. Got approved for all three but only exxon cards came in the mail. went to the gas station to "fill-up" and the card didn't work at the pump. Went inside and they tried at the register......NO GO! I called in to see what was up and the rep told me that some guy handles the account and needed some more information from me. she sent him an internal message and he never contacted me. I called the next three days and left messages for him and never go a reply. I thought to myself....."if that's the way you guys do business, then "screw you. I'll use the Marathon and Citgo cards when they arrive, instead!" Well.... I got three denial letters in the mail two days later for ALL THREE! This was after getting approvals online and actually receiving Exxon cards for me and an employee! I remember "back in the day", marathon was backed by another bank and Exxon was backed by Citi (we're talking 2008 when I had over 40 business credit accounts.) Things have definitely changed POST-RECESSION! I noticed during the online application process that, although they all have the same Citi-backed interface, they are all backed by WEX BANK out of Salt Lake City, Utah.

The reason for the denials...... DOES NOT MEET WEX BANK INTERNAL APPROVAL GUIDELINES.

GOOD LUCK!!

I just got approved for a Wex backed card as well (ExxonMobile), and I'm wondering is there anything that one can do to at least reduce the risk of Wex closing it out after 2 weeks?

One couple idea came to mind, but IDK if it would actually work or not:

Using the cards right away, almost maxing them out, and then paying down most of the balance *before* the statement hits (since by the time the statement hits it might already be too late.) Thinking this would be a way to reassure them that one is not gonna rack up a bunch of charges and leave them holding the bag. It also shows usage, and might encourage a CLI.

What do yall think?

Also, has anyone who's Wex account has been terminated ever successfully gotten Wex to recon the termination?

Yes Wex is a trip. They reinstated me twice! The closed my account the first time because I had a "monthly" charge on my card that I failed to realized existed. So, me thinking i have a negative balance because I hadn't used it for a couple of months..they closed it after 90 days. So, I call customer services and was told I needed to apply again and that they don't reinstate accounts.

I thought about and after 2 mo. I say what the heck. They approve me. So, after 2 months, they close it again. I call and they say "you told us you didn't want it." I ask, "who, and when did I tell you that? What phone convo or email, or letter. He got quiet and said, "uh, let me look...ok your account is "reinstated." I think the bottom line with them is they want heavy volume usage of their cards.

Them closing the accounts is there way of saying "hey, remember us.....use us please." Lesson learned, I use it every month now. I like the 5k limit but who uses that much gas unless your a trucker or major company..lol.

I had a fleetcor called, but let it go inactive (silly me). I never cared for WEX myself. Everytime i turned around, i could not get into the online account management to pay the bill. It is like when ever bill was due, they would lock me out.

This is no way to do business. I'd have to forego a business relationship with them. Too much uncertainty for a small biz owner.

I've have two wex accounts and never had any problems. I've had the account for years! I even had a really bad DNB file due to bankruptcy and they keep the CL active. Great company!

I am quite surprised by their behavior because they can be quite lenient in approvals but then upon further review, they back out and close accounts.

The last post in this topic was posted 2487 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.