Sign in to follow this  
FreeaAndClear

Citi and BofA Amex blacklist AUs?

I burned Citi, BofA and Amex almost 7 years ago.

My spouse tried to add me as an AU to AMEX and it was a no go. (No shock but worth a try.)

Can I be added as an AU to our BofA AMEX or will I be declined because of BofA and/or AMEX?

Same question with citi. Do they blacklist AUs like AMEX or only primary account holders.

I tried multiple searches for the answer to these questions but it is impossible to search for AU.

TIA

You should have no issue with Citi or BOA as an AU. Their "AMEX" cards are underwritten by the respective banks and just use the Amex payment network. A "real" Amex card is one underwritten and issued by American Express themselves, and you will be BLed (although some have gotten through).

As far as Citi and BOA go with becoming a primary cardholder after a CO, they do not permanently BL (I am proof as I have cards by both after a BK)

how did you burn Amex? I had a fairly large CO with Amex that I settled with them for about 40% in 2006 and was able to get a business card in 2012 and was just added as an AU to my wife's 3 personal cards in the last month.

however, there's no doubt I'm still on some kind of list with them because adding me as an AU on the first card resulted in an instant FR for her. but it came back in 4 days with no problems and she was able to open 2 more cards with me as an AU a few days later with no issues.

however, it may be a different timeframe if you burned them completely and never paid anything. I've heard 10 years for BK.

It was charge off 6.75 years ago. I'm definitely on their blacklist. Spouse tried to add me as an AU but was declined because of previous bad relationship.

That's why I was wondering if BofA AMEX was the same but looks like it should be ok.

We added me on to Citi for the time being.

how did you burn Amex? I had a fairly large CO with Amex that I settled with them for about 40% in 2006 and was able to get a business card in 2012 and was just added as an AU to my wife's 3 personal cards in the last month.

however, there's no doubt I'm still on some kind of list with them because adding me as an AU on the first card resulted in an instant FR for her. but it came back in 4 days with no problems and she was able to open 2 more cards with me as an AU a few days later with no issues.

however, it may be a different timeframe if you burned them completely and never paid anything. I've heard 10 years for BK.

It is a combination of time and amount (as told to me by some 2nd and 3rd level people at AMEX). Amounts over $10k it is very hard to get back in (again, as told to me). IME, this has held true.

Amounts over $10k it is very hard to get back in (again, as told to me). IME, this has held true.

interesting as I had a CO that I stopped paying in 2006 at 30k that ended up over 40k after fees and interest. I settled for around 16k IIRC directly with Amex. couldn't get an AU back in 2008, but did get the others I mentioned.

Wow...so maybe there is hope for me one day :)

I wonder if having a CO vs. an IIB makes a difference (although it shouldn't)...