Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Citi and BofA Amex blacklist AUs?

The last post in this topic was posted 2505 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I burned Citi, BofA and Amex almost 7 years ago.

My spouse tried to add me as an AU to AMEX and it was a no go. (No shock but worth a try.)

Can I be added as an AU to our BofA AMEX or will I be declined because of BofA and/or AMEX?

Same question with citi. Do they blacklist AUs like AMEX or only primary account holders.

I tried multiple searches for the answer to these questions but it is impossible to search for AU.

TIA

You should have no issue with Citi or BOA as an AU. Their "AMEX" cards are underwritten by the respective banks and just use the Amex payment network. A "real" Amex card is one underwritten and issued by American Express themselves, and you will be BLed (although some have gotten through).

As far as Citi and BOA go with becoming a primary cardholder after a CO, they do not permanently BL (I am proof as I have cards by both after a BK)

how did you burn Amex? I had a fairly large CO with Amex that I settled with them for about 40% in 2006 and was able to get a business card in 2012 and was just added as an AU to my wife's 3 personal cards in the last month.

however, there's no doubt I'm still on some kind of list with them because adding me as an AU on the first card resulted in an instant FR for her. but it came back in 4 days with no problems and she was able to open 2 more cards with me as an AU a few days later with no issues.

however, it may be a different timeframe if you burned them completely and never paid anything. I've heard 10 years for BK.

It was charge off 6.75 years ago. I'm definitely on their blacklist. Spouse tried to add me as an AU but was declined because of previous bad relationship.

That's why I was wondering if BofA AMEX was the same but looks like it should be ok.

We added me on to Citi for the time being.

how did you burn Amex? I had a fairly large CO with Amex that I settled with them for about 40% in 2006 and was able to get a business card in 2012 and was just added as an AU to my wife's 3 personal cards in the last month.

however, there's no doubt I'm still on some kind of list with them because adding me as an AU on the first card resulted in an instant FR for her. but it came back in 4 days with no problems and she was able to open 2 more cards with me as an AU a few days later with no issues.

however, it may be a different timeframe if you burned them completely and never paid anything. I've heard 10 years for BK.

It is a combination of time and amount (as told to me by some 2nd and 3rd level people at AMEX). Amounts over $10k it is very hard to get back in (again, as told to me). IME, this has held true.

Amounts over $10k it is very hard to get back in (again, as told to me). IME, this has held true.

interesting as I had a CO that I stopped paying in 2006 at 30k that ended up over 40k after fees and interest. I settled for around 16k IIRC directly with Amex. couldn't get an AU back in 2008, but did get the others I mentioned.

The last post in this topic was posted 2505 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By BJKill
      I have been thinking about this since learning about Amex backdating and how it helps AAofA.

I have really two thoughts. One is I'm surprised that AMEX isn't pressured not to backdate new accounts since the rules say if you report (you don't have to report), you have to report accurately. I'm glad they do it, but they are kind of fudging there.

But what I really don't get is why some of their competitors don't do the same thing. That would be a huge benefit to members and would draw lots of new business and wouldn't cost a dime.

I am just surprised that AMEX seems to have a lock on this perk and is able to gain a competitive advantage over their peers.

• By Menta33
      I'm trying to help a friend with an Auto Loan that was at Bank of America that is now paid off. BofA is reporting 30 days late Aug 2011, 30 days late Dec 2012, and 60 days late Jan 2013.

I am looking at the Metro 2 — 2012 Credit Reporting Resource Guide to understand how and when 30-day and 60-day lates are to be properly reported. In there I read:

They then give an example of a payment due on January 15th and how it should report on the first of each month:
      January 1st: 0-29 days late (code 11) - no payments past due February 1st: 0-29 days late (code 11) - one payment past due March 1st: 30-59 days late (code 71) - two payments past due April 1st: 60-89 days late (code 78) - three payments past due This BofA loan appears to have a due date of the 1st of each month and a 5% late payment charged on the 12th of each month (unless that is a holiday or weekend, then next business day).

The Metro 2 guide states later:

Later I see this section on Date of First Delinquency:

None of the CRAs show a Date of First Delinquency for this account, the field only appears on Equifax and is blank there, no mention of DOFD on any other CR for this tradeline.

After analyzing the report supplied of the complete payment history on the account, this is what I find:
      The due date appears to have been the 1st of each month. A late charge of 5% is charged on the 12th of each month if payment not received by close of business on that business day. I don't know what day of month Chase reports to the credit bureaus, but I am assuming it is the first of each month, but perhaps it is last day of the month? How can I find this out? Account was 30 days late on August 31, 2011 Account was 30 days late on October 1, 2011 Account was 30 days late on December 31, 2012 Account was 60 days late on January 30, 2012 Only if BofA reports on the very last day of each month would their reporting be accurate if the due date is actually the 1st of each month.

How can I know for certain what day of the month BofA reports to the credit bureaus? How can I find out for certain what day of the month payments were due and what their late payment charge policy is? Should I ask BofA to produce a signed contract for the loan? So far they've only provided a computer printout of the payment history.
    • By funkiehouse
      AMEX Platinum Charge Card 100k MR points after $3k spend in 3 months

AMEX Premier Rewards Gold 50k MR points after $1k spend in 3 months

Apply through Cardmatch tool without initial hard pull to pre-qualify - must be opted in - may be targeted

https://www.creditcards.com/cardmatch/?aid=e9b5845b&bid=5cf9de14a9f94cb0

More about the deal: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/01/amex-platinum-100000-point-offer-back-targeted/

• By MJPEREZ77
      Happy New Year's to all my fellow CBers:

Hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday season. I had a quick question, I have read threads on D* and in everything I got a little confused. With regards to an AU card, IF the AU had their OWN AMEX in say 1993 would they be able to use that as a D* date if added on as an AU? I know that it is said AU D* is dead, however, I kinda got turned around in my readings, I think that it is dead with regards to the MAIN CC Acct Holder having D* and the AU trying to get the SAME D* that really wasn't theirs. I am assuming that if the AU had a potential D* of 1993, that AMEX would honor it regardless of the date on the new acct, am I completely off here?

Also, if AMEX did allow it, what might the impact be on the AU's AAOA. would it truly effect it? Or since it's only an AU card does it factor differently?

As always, thanks for all your help and guidance, I have some success stories to share as soon as I get caught up with school.
    • By smc733
      Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone else has experience/advice to offer on this predicament. I have 6 cards, listed below for reference:

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig $10k/9.99 (6/2010)
      Citi Diamond Preferred MasterCard $10.2k/11.99 (10/2012)
      Chase Freedom Visa Sig $10k/15.24 (1/2012) (Call in to the EO about reducing the APR, given how much I spend, good luck to me though with Chase's stubbornness)
      Amex BCE $12.6k/10.24 (9/2011)
      Barclay Ring MC $5k/8.0 (4/2012)
      Discover IT $19k/11.99 (9/2012) (Yes, subprime Discover loves to give me $4-5k soft pull increases every few months!)

Anyway, the Diamond Preferred is a good "backup" MC to keep in my wallet in case a purchase gets declined on a Visa card. I would like to have the World benefits, and mainly, I want it because there's no reason with my profile, limits, etc... for me to not have it (I had a Dividend card I closed because I got mad at Citi two years ago, which had a lower limit and was still a World card).

I've seen some people meet success just requesting a World card via phone (as I did with my previous card), but this time I am having no luck.

I've called the regular numbers, and even the EO & Twitter. When I find someone who even understands what I'm asking, they just start rattling off a list of annual-fee carrying airline cards I can convert to that are World cards. They've also told me you can only get offered the upgrade, which just doesn't sit right with what else I've seen. My conclusion is that Citi is pushing World/Sig away on no-AF cards, as it seems like anything without an AF (TY Preferred Visa, DP Visa, Simplicity Visa), is marketed as a regular Visa, while the AF cards are marketed as Sig cards.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I can do? Can I convert to a Dividend card if it isn't offered anymore? Is there anything I could do to get this converted to a World card?

Thanks,
      A very frustrated smc733

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ZSIMBA
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines