When to apply for OTHER cards?

Beautyandcredit

The last post in this topic was posted 2511 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi all!!

Small question, I was upgraded to the regular card with Fingerhut from the "fresh start" program on Dec 17th. My Credit Karma went from 565 to 627, I know those scores don't count. Anyway, when would I be able to apply for another starter card or easy approvals? Before the fingerhut reported, I applied to Target and was told I needed revolving accounts. Now I wish I had waited to apply. That was a couple months ago. I also have 4 inquiries on TU and a couple on EQ. I have a couple baddies (T-Mobile) $247 and $455 on TU and EQ and one or two collections that are set to fall off within the year. Experian is a different story and has tons which I am disputing because I have no idea what they are.

Thank you!!!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you BUT I am not "worrying" about getting new cards, however I want to rebuild at the same time I am trying to clean up my credit.

What I meant with Experian and Commenity is that they are probably pulling Experian when I try to do the shopping cart method and Experian is my worst report so I am not getting the pop-ups.

and very little time worrying about applying for new cards

50% of credit repair is adding new positive tradelines; granted this takes less time than addressing reporting issues with the four major CRAs.

getting all baddies removed often surprises those who have not been dealing with the other half of the equation

50% of credit repair is adding new positive tradelines; granted this takes less time than addressing reporting issues with the four major CRAs.

getting all baddies removed often surprises those who have not been dealing with the other half of the equation

I agree. however, the time spent should probably be 80/20 whereas most people want to do it the other way and spend 80% of their time applying for new cards and 20% doing the hard work.

I agree. however, the time spent should probably be 80/20 whereas most people want to do it the other way and spend 80% of their time applying for new cards and 20% doing the hard work.

time-wise yes, I just wanted to emphasize to the poster that attention to adding tradelines is critical :wave:

Thank you BUT I am not "worrying" about getting new cards, however I want to rebuild at the same time I am trying to clean up my credit.

What I meant with Experian and Commenity is that they are probably pulling Experian when I try to do the shopping cart method and Experian is my worst report so I am not getting the pop-ups.

You are a prime candidate for a secured card. Could you afford to tie up a few hundred $ for a year or two? If so I'd suggest joining DCU and getting their secured card (no annual fees, may unsecure, unlike Cap1 you'll get your money back). They pull EQ. That will also get you a free monthly EQ FICO - great to have when building/rebuilding.

You might also want to try for a Walmart card, but if those 4 TU inqs are fresh you should probably wait a bit because they pull TU. That would give you a free monthly TU FICO and another revolver, which would give your scores another instant boost.

A fourth revolving acct. will give you another (smaller) quick score boost, but try not to apply for anything you'll regret later.

I am opted in.

When cleaning up credit and rebuilding it's better to be OPTED OUT.

nope, not for everyone. opting out does little to help credit repair and does not stop JDBs and CAs. All it does is stop creditors from offering pre-screened solicitations of credit. opting out can delay the other half of credit repair.

I am opted in.

nope, not for everyone. opting out does little to help credit repair and does not stop JDBs and CAs. All it does is stop creditors from offering pre-screened solicitations of credit. opting out can delay the other half of credit repair.

That's strange. Everything I have read in regards to credit repair says to OPT OUT. It helps prevent your information from being sold to data miners. It also can help to prevent identity theft.

I am opted in.

That's strange. Everything I have read in regards to credit repair says to OPT OUT. It helps prevent your information from being sold to data miners. It also can help to prevent identity theft.

There's a lot of bad information out there, and most of us have fallen prey to it before finding CB. For example, everything I had read said you should close credit cards you don't need to improve your score... Some of the people promulgating this rubbish mean well, others have agendas, and most are just parroting.

I would listen to Hegemony.

Creditboards is one of the sources saying to OPT OUT. So I don't consider that bad information especially being from a very good respected forum staff member who knows what he is talking about.

Things change, situations are different. Recommendations need to be taken in context. Opting out may be a good idea in some cases and I don't think Hege is denying that.

He's saying it's not a one-size-fits-all rule and telling you why. I think he's right. I would never opt out unless I could identify a specific advantage to doing so, and that advantage outweighed the drawbacks.

I get valuable targeted offers, and junk mail helps keep the Post Office in business. For me, that far outweighs any advantages of opting out. Slightly less waste is the only one I can think of, in my case. I don't like wasting trees but the amount is pretty minuscule, surely less than a single small tree over my lifetime! I think I'll just plant an extra one and stay opted in. :)

As I stated if you are involved in credit repairing you should OPT OUT. Go to the top of this page and read Why Chat's Credit Confusion.

It explains on why you should OPT OUT when involved in credit repair and rebuilding.

sorry but there is no one-size fits all situations. opting out does not do some of the things some people claim it does. moreover, for post BK people doing credit repair, there is no reason to worry about opting out and it may indeed delay prescreened offers, such as the Comenity no-pull offers. The four major CRAs can still sell your information for most purposes regardless of opt out status.

The last post in this topic was posted 2511 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.