United Nations Federal Credit Union Thread

hegemony

The last post in this topic was posted 900 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'm not willing to be a GP for an Experian pull.

I'll jump on the bandwagon if it shapes up to be good source for a high-limit card, as I suspect it is. I'm trying to conserve my Experian pulls for some new Chase cards in 2014. Unless... oh, never mind. Let me work on that before I start shooting off my mouth. :P

I will only unfreeze EX for AMEX or big-limit cards (possibly 50K or more).

I was able to get new Chase cards with EX frozen (EQ pulled instead), perhaps because I was already a customer and they occasionally softed EX.

I'm not willing to be a GP for an Experian pull.

I'll jump on the bandwagon if it shapes up to be good source for a high-limit card, as I suspect it is. I'm trying to conserve my Experian pulls for some new Chase cards in 2014. Unless... oh, never mind. Let me work on that before I start shooting off my mouth. :P

I was able to get new Chase cards with EX frozen (EQ pulled instead), perhaps because I was already a customer and they occasionally softed EX.

This is exactly where I am right now.

I haven't been able to get Chase to pull anything but Experian (which, of course, is frozen). I was a checking/savings customer until recently, and that didn't matter.

I haven't been able to get Chase to pull anything but Experian (which, of course, is frozen). I was a checking/savings customer until recently, and that didn't matter.

Interesting. I IIB Chase/First USA and was only released from their blacklist after 9.5 yrs. Yet, they were still willing to pull something aside EX. Then again, my total exposure with them is only 21K (7K from my ChaMu days and 14K in recent new credit).

Interesting. I IIB Chase/First USA and was only released from their blacklist after 9.5 yrs. Yet, they were still willing to pull something aside EX. Then again, my total exposure with them is only 21K (7K from my ChaMu days and 14K in recent new credit).

Did you app in a branch?

Kinda disappointed.

sorry for you, but I'm not sure why you expected any different. an exclusive CU that offers 100k limits? of course they're going to use EX.

There is no evidence to back this up. A misinformed rep told me equifax or experian twice! Hence, there was hope.

There are enough exclusive CU with high limit cards using equifax. This is why we have GPs. Were adding data points. Empathize shifter. Empathize. Or better yet, GP yourself for the greater good.

Did you app in a branch?

Nope. Applied online. Approved on manual review each time.

I was last rejected in 01/2013.

Received spam in 10/13 for Priority Club card. Applied, got 7-10 day message, and subsequently approved. Decided to apply for CSP 2 weeks later and got same message. Called in. Underwriter re-allocated limit from Priority Club card to CSP.

Or better yet, GP yourself for the greater good.

I would be the first on that train if it weren't for my upcoming mortgage. I'm absolutely planning on applying as soon as it closes.

Thats the spirit! AFAIC, taking an EX hit is akin to having uncontrolled rectal bleeding. I am only willing to have an "episode" every few years. My EX is littered with nonsense. Many of them are over 12 mos old and don't count towards scoring, but it kills me to see em there knowing how much EQ and TU are my collective B*****!

the cards are true Chip & Pin priority

the PenFed card is C&P also with no exclusivity.
Nope.
why do you say that? it says it's C&P and when you go to change your PIN on the website it notifies you that your existing card will be cancelled and a new card will be mailed to you with the new PIN.that's about as much evidence for C&P as it gets.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ani-u3tGk5hedGRvcE1ELVg5UmlGZk01SHZvTUMxdUE

I do have the PenFed chip and PIN card. I also have my suspicions because I tried it in a train station kiosk in Zurich in October and it wouldn't accept it. I then inserted a credit card I have from a UK bank that I know is chip and PIN and it worked. It could have been something else that caused the card not to work, but I don't know. Always have a few back-up plans to make purchases when you travel. Don't rely on one card.

Reason 1: C&S as priority 1.

Reason 2: No proper encryption support on the EMV chip. Supports online PIN verification only.

USAA & UNFCU are the only options in the US (and Diners Club, but 3% FTF...)

the cards are true Chip & Pin priority

the PenFed card is C&P also with no exclusivity.
Nope.
why do you say that? it says it's C&P and when you go to change your PIN on the website it notifies you that your existing card will be cancelled and a new card will be mailed to you with the new PIN.that's about as much evidence for C&P as it gets.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ani-u3tGk5hedGRvcE1ELVg5UmlGZk01SHZvTUMxdUE

I do have the PenFed chip and PIN card. I also have my suspicions because I tried it in a train station kiosk in Zurich in October and it wouldn't accept it. I then inserted a credit card I have from a UK bank that I know is chip and PIN and it worked. It could have been something else that caused the card not to work, but I don't know. Always have a few back-up plans to make purchases when you travel. Don't rely on one card.

Reason 1: C&S as priority 1.

Reason 2: No proper encryption support on the EMV chip. Supports online PIN verification only.

USAA & UNFCU are the only options in the US (and Diners Club, but 3% FTF...)

Could you elaborate further? The stuff in the table isn't clear. The part about Wells Fargo and the depositor needing $1 million on deposit isn't the only card. I have a Wells Fargo Visa Platinum chip/pin card with about $10,000 total on deposit there. Actually I owe them money as my mortgage is with them.

Edited by Burgerwars

basically he's saying the PenFed card isn't true chip and PIN because it doesn't have onboard PIN verification support where the PIN is tied to the chip and can be validated locally. so it's basically no better than C&S because the verification request still has to be sent to the card network.

basically he's saying the PenFed card isn't true chip and PIN because it doesn't have onboard PIN verification support where the PIN is tied to the chip and can be validated locally. so it's basically no better than C&S because the verification request still has to be sent to the card network.

I was suspicious of that card because it didn't work at a train station kiosk in Zurich. Maybe that's why. The Wells Fargo Visa card I'm a bit more confident of. The insert sent with the card said the chip has the PIN encrypted on it and it can't be changed.

I noticed the following on UNFCU's site:

"With your credit card, you are not responsible for unauthorized merchant transactions that are reported promptly (no later than 60 days after the statement date on which they appear). If your card (or card number) is ever lost or stolen, you are protected against unauthorized purchases. You must report your missing credit card immediately or notify us as soon as you detect any unauthorized activity. UNFCU reserves the right to not issue or re-issue your credit card if two (2) instances of fraud on any of your accounts were reported within a period of three (3) years, or if you fail to report a lost or stolen card in a timely manner."

The way fraud is now days, you're lucky not to have two incidents of fraud in three years. I've had card numbers used, or attempted to be used quite a few times, and I have no idea how the bad guys got the data. It could even be leaks or hacking of the bank's own data. Stuff happens. I hope they look at one's individual circumstances before closing an account for this.

Edited by Burgerwars

The insert sent with the card said the chip has the PIN encrypted on it and it can't be changed.

that was the same idea I got from PenFed because their change PIN option on the website says that any existing cards will be deactivated and new cards will be mailed out with the new PIN. but I guess it may not be true.

Got an email from them saying

Congratulations! You have been approved for a UNFCU Checking Line-of-Credit with a credit limit in the amount of $500.00.

With your Checking Line of Credit, UNFCU has you covered. UNFCU will automatically transfer funds from your credit line to cover insufficient funds in your UNFCU Checking Account.

WTF is a Checking Line-of-Credit? A really low limit CC?

Congratulations! You have been approved for a UNFCU Checking Line-of-Credit with a credit limit in the amount of $500.00.

With your Checking Line of Credit, UNFCU has you covered. UNFCU will automatically transfer funds from your credit line to cover insufficient funds in your UNFCU Checking Account.

Overdraft protection.

Did you leave checked on the app the part about over-draft coverage? Some here have reported a hard inquiry for that.

Did you leave checked on the app the part about over-draft coverage? Some here have reported a hard inquiry for that.

Yep, it's actually backwards and you need to initial if you DON'T want it. Not the normal way where you would initial that you DO want it.

Yep, it's actually backwards and you need to initial if you DON'T want it. Not the normal way where you would initial that you DO want it.

i could swear I initialled not to get it. No matter, I think I can survive a hard inquiry. I mean, right now I want to focus on deleting my last baddie, keeping my utilization low, and raising CLs. I am not thinking on buying a house anytime soon... though might do a preapproval thingie to get the roaches out of under the cupboard...

I initialed and wrote on the paper app decline overdraft loc, and they still open the premium checking and hard pulled EX

I asked them if they could use the initial inquiry they pulled for the checking line of credit for my visa elite app, and they said no. That's not fair, its was only 7 days ago. I applied for it anyway. I put the requested amount at 50k, I didnt want to push my luck my current highest is OCCU at 20k, and Chase at 17k. My income is 45k so doubt they would give me 50k, let alone 100k.

The last post in this topic was posted 900 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.