Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Thin file, CA lurking. How to get into newer car?

The last post in this topic was posted 2514 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi, guys,

I’m currently in a 2006 Honda and I’m looking to upgrade. It’s worth about $9K KBB book value (if private sale) and I still owe $5K on it. My credit file is thin. My EX FAKO is 697, one 6 year old paid civil judgment, one secured credit card reporting for the last two months, one potential medical collection and my car loan of 2.5 years. I got it when I had no credit score whatsoever, so the rate is a deadly 17 percent. I have a CA lurking regarding a medical collection that was on my report (but luckily it was removed in dispute) that will be permanently barred from re-reporting in three months when the SOL is up. Several questions: Should I wait the full three months to start applying for loans, jic the CA sees the activity and decides to poison? Do you think I can get a decent rate on a like-new used car loan with this credit profile? (The Honda loan is with Chase and it’s been paid on time. I asked my bank whether they would consider refinancing but I guess I don't owe enough on it to make it worthwhile for them.) And how do people usually handle cars that they currently owe on when they want to buy new one? If I do a trade, does the dealer of the future car buy it from me so I could pay off the current loan? Sorry, I’m relatively inexperienced at this so all suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

When you trade a vehicle that has a payoff, you just need to make sure you get enough money for it that you find acceptable. The payoff is the payoff, whatever that number may be, and the dealer is responsible for remitting payoff after you trade the vehicle.

I'm not clear as to the question you pose regarding this potential collection. From my way of looking at this sort of thing, you either have a collection account on your credit file(s) or you don't. I just don't understand what you are asking.

When you trade a vehicle that has a payoff, you just need to make sure you get enough money for it that you find acceptable. The payoff is the payoff, whatever that number may be, and the dealer is responsible for remitting payoff after you trade the vehicle.

I'm not clear as to the question you pose regarding this potential collection. From my way of looking at this sort of thing, you either have a collection account on your credit file(s) or you don't. I just don't understand what you are asking.

Okay, sorry I wasn't clearer. Regarding the collection, it's not on my report any longer but there are still three months left until it's out of SOL so I'm afraid that if I start applying for auto loans that might bring the collector after me. Eh. I can wait the three months just to be sure. Thanks.

If the collection account is not on your credit file(s) at the time you tender an application, effectively it does not exist, nor would there be any association with an analyst decision.

A creditor from your past can always come after you for an alleged debt.

So I'm still not clear if your reference to the SOL refers to the statute of limitations for reporting to a CRA or your state statute of limitations for collection of a defined type of account.

The last post in this topic was posted 2514 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Daphne954
      In 12/2011, I received an auto loan from Santander. Long story short, the dealership falsified documents to get me the loan. After speaking with a friend, I decided to get another car and got approved for another auto loan with Honda Financial with a lower payment, which I have made all my payments on time. I later received claim documents from my insurance company at the time about an accident on 5/22/2013, that I know never took place. I called my insurance company and they told me Santander filed the claim. I called Santander, and found out Santander for some reason, called my insurance company and filed a "loan servicer claim" on 5/22/2013 for damages on the car. The catch is... the car was still in my possession until 6/2/2013, which was a week after I called to surrender the car. I was so confused and they couldn't give me an answer as to why they did it, and I kept getting the run around from Santander and my insurance company. Just a big hot diddly mess.

I want to dispute it because it is the biggest factor affecting my reports. They are showing in the report as a default on auto loan and not a voluntary surrender or repossession. The account was charged-off 6/2013. The TL is still fresh, but I'm think with all the inconsistencies and things that have happened while I had this car, that I might somehow have a case. I live in Florida, and if I can recall the SOL is 5 years for written contracts.

Should I start a dispute, do a PFD or just hire a lawyer to help solve this? I'm not looking for any settlement from this issue. I just want it off my credit reports.
    • By tyabeau2
      After many years of paying rent we have decided we want a home of our own. Would 18 months be too early to start the mortgage process? Here is our story...bear with me it's long,

Back in December of 2012 we closed our accounts at a traditional bank and moved our accounts to a credit union (bank was giving us no love even when we never overdraft in the 5 years with them). September of 2013 requested a CC from credit union and received it. Been keeping uti under 10% paying off each paycheck. November we received a car loan with credit union for a 7.99% interest for $33,000, paying on time, never late. Husband is an authorized user on brother's AMEX to help build credit.

In other words we didn't have good credit. Husband's "baddies" will fall off in 2015. My baddies were all medical from hospitalization in 2012. Used WhyChat's method and they are all gone! In September I went on a CC spree and obtain a Capital One CC, Wal-Mart and Care Credit (joint with husband) for me and for husband a Valero, Care Credit and Target. Will keep balances down to at the most 1% and pay off each month.

My credit scores are as follows: EQ 637, EX 615, TU 611 (Very excited about my scores, this time last year they were all in the low 500s!)
      Husbands scores are as follows: EQ 600, EX 559, TU 614 (He has 5 baddies, scheduled to fall off by 2015)

We are planning on using our Credit Union since we are building a relationship with them, with the car loan and cc. I was also planning on April of 2015 obtaining one more CC, not a store card, to help our portfolio. Should I or should I not???

I need advice on what we need to do to bring our scores up by May of 2016 to obtain a mortgage at a good rate. I hear that 620 is the rate some loan companies will approve. I want at least a low 700 or very high 600 before we start looking. Would love a 720 to 750 on all! My husband's score will go up once the "baddies" are gone. I am worried about how recent our credit will be and if that would be an issue on obtaining a mortgage.

Need to also mention, both of us have two jobs and nickel and diming everything to save at least 20% to put down on a place. I've been at my current full time employment for over 9 years, husband just switched jobs in October, 2013 so he has been there a year.

Would we be able to obtain a mortgage loan in 18 months???
    • By photosofrichard
      I assumed that I would have to go through a subprime lender but I applied through Chase anyway. I was approved for a loan of up to $17,000 for 60 months at 8.29%. I'm shocked by the interest rate. A dealer that I went through told me that the best he could offer me was a loan at 25%.
    • By staben913
      Hey there,
      I recently turned 18 and want to get a new car on my own (parents won't co-sign). I am considering leasing or financing a BMW, as my car is a bit older. The problem is that I haven't developed credit yet. What isn't a problem is my income, I make plenty to pay for the lease estimate ($550/month). I also won't have a problem getting insurance or setting up an auto pay or anything like that either.
      So, before I go to a dealership and make a fool out of myself (if I can't pull it off), I was wondering what options are available and any ideas.

Thanks a bunch.
    • By surfit
      Hi all-

Quick question.

My good friend owns a home that has recently appraised at around $825,000. He has 1 mortgage and that's for $398,000. His income is roughly $42k per year. His credit is bad/fair, no bankruptcies or foreclosures, mainly charged off cards.

We're wondering, does anyone think he could qualify for a loan for $80,000 based on the equity in his home? We've yet to apply anywhere; first wanted to run this past the pros here. (I'm usually over in the credit forum).

Oh, and if so, with whom do you think he should apply?

THANKS!

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Climaxxll
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines