Sign in to follow this  
GR8WhiTE

Anyone have the upgrade # for Nordstroms...

Just call regular customer service, and make sure you have seven statements and seven payments (or more) since you got the store card.

If there was no use in a month, and no carried balance, no statement generates and that month doesn't count.

Bostonte is correct. Regular customer service number. Don't have to do anything special as long as you have the usage history.

what do they upgrade you to? I've had a Nordstrom account for years.

Visa Sig, assuming you have just the retail card.

OK, I assume that will show up as a separate account on the CR like my Macy's Visa did years ago.

however, will it show the date I opened the store account or show up as a new account? if it's *D I can definitely go for that, but if new, not worth it.

New trade line. But D*.

ETA: CLIs and upgrades are done with soft pulls, but are based mainly off of account history and usage.

Edited by Matti

New trade line. But D*.

sweet! thanks for the info, I'm calling right now.

so they said that for the Visa card you need a min CL of 5k. since they just increased my CL from 500 to 2500 in Nov, they can't do another CLI for 4 months. also, they mentioned that I haven't used the card in about 8 months. they need to see some use and payment history in order to approve another CLI.

so he said to make a small purchase each month so that a statement is generated and then call back in March.

so they said that for the Visa card you need a min CL of 5k. since they just increased my CL from 500 to 2500 in Nov, they can't do another CLI for 4 months. also, they mentioned that I haven't used the card in about 8 months. they need to see some use and payment history in order to approve another CLI.

so he said to make a small purchase each month so that a statement is generated and then call back in March.

Aye. Do just that. Even if it's less than $100 a month. They're VERY easy to get CLI's out of, as long as you use the card.

Aye. Do just that. Even if it's less than $100 a month. They're VERY easy to get CLI's out of, as long as you use the card.

so I assume if I buy something and PIF before the statement cuts it will still generate the statement even though it's still reporting a 0 balance?

Yea that's what I did. Just called the number on the card. I did it for my mom. She got upgraded. We had tried 4 months ago too but they daid to use the card and PIF for 4 months and they'd upgrade her card. The retail card is now done, right?

You can use it until your Visa arrives. But yes, they will close it after. Mine was kind of overlooked. So it stayed open and reported for a few months after my upgrade. Then I called for a CLI and they realized it was open still, and they closed it... >.>

You can use it until your Visa arrives. But yes, they will close it after. Mine was kind of overlooked. So it stayed open and reported for a few months after my upgrade. Then I called for a CLI and they realized it was open still, and they closed it... >.>

They did that with mine also. Maybe it's typical..?

nice try though haha

Visa Sig, assuming you have just the retail card.

OK, I assume that will show up as a separate account on the CR like my Macy's Visa did years ago.

however, will it show the date I opened the store account or show up as a new account? if it's *D I can definitely go for that, but if new, not worth it.

Several years ago I obtained the Nordstrom store card on March 30th, called regular Nordstrom customer service for the upgrade to VISA the first week of September, call took all of maybe five minutes. I had only had the Nordstrom account 5 months + 1 week, but I used it a lot. You do need the minimum $5K credit line and monthly usage.

However I did not get a new trade line, Nordstrom simply updated my existing TL and I kept the March open date. Good Luck!

Edited by Rogue

They did that with mine also. Maybe it's typical..?

+1

yes-CLI have historically been good to go, incrementally every 4 months, with even rather modest usage- up to 15k (after that it appears there is stricter criteria overall (and for usage in particular) to secure higher CL.

Yea...

Initially, my moms Nordies had a $400 limit. After eliminating some debts and cleaning up her file a little bit she got an auto CLI to 2k. Then I called to see if they can upgrade it to the Visa. I was told in order to upgrade, you must have a $5k limit at least. So they checked to see if she was eligible for a CLI and they bumped her to $6k. BUT!! Not initially approved for the Visa because she didn't show enough history. The guy there told me it's no big deal, just show 4 months of payment history and she'll get the upgrade. (Excellent CSR's BTW)

So, 4 months of payment history recently passed by. I made the call and she was approved. No increase but her $6k is now the Visa Sig. Hey from a $400 store card to a $6k Visa in 5-6 months is great progress!!!!!

Thank you CB as always!!

Edited by GR8WhiTE

this info is so great. I've had this card for 6 years and 5.5 of that the limit was at $500.

I never knew they were that easy to get CLIs out of.

now I'm looking forward to having 15k Nordstrom Visa in a few months!

A lot of people are able to obtain $15k. They're very strict on inquiries with your initial approval. But once you have the card, usage history and payments weigh very heavily on CLI's and upgrades.

Their Visa Sig provides the true Sig benefit of being able to charge over your limit. You will have 2 different categories, though.... Max exposure for every day purchases and max for Nordies purchases. They, obviously, give a bigger exposure on Nordies purchases. I believe I can currently charge $3k over my limit outside of Nordies and up to 2x my limit inside of Nordies.

great so my wife will be able to go on that 30k Nordstrom shopping spree! lol.