Sign in to follow this  
qwerty4

AMEX New Account Credit Line Reallocation

As part of my new year app spree, I applied for a new chase as well as a new amex in addition to a few CLIs. While the chase card (united mileage plus club card for 1.5 miles/$ and club access) gave a healthy $33k credit line, the Amex gave a head scratching $7800.

As as I plan on using this card, I need to reallocate funds from an existing card. My questions:

1. How early do I have to wait to do this? Do I need to wait the standard 61 (or was it 91 days) to request a reallocation online, or can I do it immediately?

2. If I reallocate the credit lines, I have the option of going over the $25k threshold on the new card. Do the same concerns (FR, increased scrutiny) apply for a reallocation as a standard credit limit increase?

3. Last question, this new card has been linked to a new user ID. Is it possible to have one card showing on two separate online accounts? If not, does anyone have any experience in moving a card from one online account to another?

Any light that could be shed in the above is INCREDIBLY appreciated.

Edited by qwerty4

I thought a member must have had the card for at least 12 months

in order for the account to become eligible for reallocation but could be mistaken/ YMMV.

I just transferred credit line from my BCP to SPG. I've had SPG less than 6 months. I don't think their is a time limit to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a time limit. The card that is being transferred FROM (the one you are closing), must have been open for 13 months. There is no restriction on how old the TO card must be open.

I just moved the limit from DWs BCE to BCP, and it was denied prior to reaching the 13 month mark. Once I hit that it was done instantly, no pull.

Ok I thought I would update with the outcome.

I applied for for a new amex and ended up making a new online login. I won't get into the how or why, but I had my standard login and 3 personal cards and a new login with the new card. The trouble was, I couldn't allocate credit lines between the old and new cards. So I chatted with online support, and after 20 minutes they were able to combine all of my AMEX cards into my original online account .

From there I moved enough funds from my BCP to my new card to raise the new limit to just under 25k. Easy and instant. My biggest fear of having the new account deleted or the transfer rejected didn't come to pass. After the 20 minutes online with online support, the actual transfer process was very easy.

Edited by qwerty4

Were those cards that you transferred from more than a year old like stated above? I may have messed up with my recent transfer and new application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the card that transferred the limit was over a year old (around 3 years and backdated 6).