Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Lease gone awry, different states, where do I stand?

The last post in this topic was posted 2571 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'll write this somewhat detailed, so I'm sorry for the short story that's about to be unraveled before you.

Around early January 2012, I signed a lease with a friend of mine in North Carolina. He was military and I was not. Things fell through rather quickly, within a couple of weeks. I left and made my way back to Kentucky. As I was told, I was signed as an occupant. Sometime in February, we'd somewhat made up to the point where I was faxed a "lease release form". I faxed it back, twice, and confirmed receipt with the receptionist. Due to some moving around and the sale of my truck, I lost the paper. Later in the fall of 2012, I was contacted by my former roomie via Facebook and gave him my number to chat. Moments later, the leasing office from that apartment complex called stating I owed the last months rent for the 6 month lease that I was apparently still on. I explained the document signed and sent. The lady (new, not the one I spoke with in the spring) said no such document was before her. Apparently the complex is now under new ownership. NOW it's on my report, nearly $1000, and still showing his name as well. He was "let out" due to orders of getting out of the military.

In short, they had me sign paperwork releasing me when I originally only signed as an occupant. It's now on my report. I live in a different state.

What can happen if this sits? I was told by a housing authority rep in NC that since I'm out of the state, legal repercussions aren't likely.

He's still showing on my report as a co-signer/lease holder.

I can't afford this debt, nor do I feel obligated though I realize losing that paper was my only hope. I'm trying to get my score straight but I don't want to go to jail or face losing any of my possessions though all I really have is a cosigned vehicle which I'm not the main holder on.

You can't go to jail for the debt. The only thing that could put you in jail is if there are any further court proceedings, like an order to appear, and you don't appear. Then a warrant may issue. But I doubt a debt like this will go any further.

The last post in this topic was posted 2571 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MarvBear
      https://www.fi-magazine.com/360172/lease-credit-approval-rates-dip-slightly

There is no paywall.
    • By Genie
      I’ve had my auto loan with Santander Consumer for 6+ months. I want to refinance like the dealer suggested to lower my payments. I pay $650 monthly and it’s $612 due every month.

I have to confirm this information but I think the apr is at 17.05% & CL is $27,292.08

Who should I refinance with?
    • By MarvBear
      https://www.autodealertodaymagazine.com/358021/mazda-turns-to-toyota-for-captive-financing?utm_source=email&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_campaign=20190902-NL-ADT-Enews-BOBCD190827012&omdt=NL-ADT-Enews&omid=1000693576

No Paywall.

WASHINGTON — Toyota Motor Credit Corp. will replace Mazda Capital Services as the captive consumer loan and lease financing company for U.S. Mazda dealers, according to a report filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission Wednesday.
    • By FlyingBroke! - Rod
      Hi Guys,

I've been around these boards since 2006, but haven't posted in a few years. Now, I'm needing some Car advice, please.

Situation: My husband and I both had car leases when we filed for BK7 in Jan. 2017. We did NOT reaffirm either of the two leases in the BK7. I was working from home at the time, so I stopped making payments on my car and it was subsequently reprocessed (voluntarily) by Hyundai some 90 days later.  My husband, on the other hand, has a 1.5 hour commute to work and decided to continue to make his lease payments, even after the BK was fully discharged. 

Now, two years after our BK7 was discharged, my husband's lease is now up and he will need a new car. The thing is, he has never missed a payment to Nissan Motor Finance, nor have we ever been late.  The car has NO damage, but has a great deal of wear and tear, and is way over the agreed lease miles, currently at 52,000 of the 30k signed at lease.  So, we can walk away and owe nothing because it was included in the BK7, OR we have considered reaffirming the lease in order to retain the positive payment history with Nissan.  Then it occurred to us, that if we reaffirm the lease, then we will mostly likely have to replace the tires, brakes, and pay huge fees for being over the miles. 

My husband has been very loyal to Nissan; this being his 4th lease, and he would like another Nissan, just not this one.  

What should we do?   Thanks in advance! 

Please move if this is not the best forum for this post. TY

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ForwardFinanceSolution
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines