15 extra days for investigation?

23tony

The last post in this topic was posted 3794 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'm trying to get a little clarity on this 15 extra days for investigation CRA's can get that I keep reading about.

Specifically, what I'm reading is that if you order your report online, then if you dispute something, they have an extra 15 days - making it 45 instead of 30 for them to respond. I'm unclear on a few things, though - so I'm hoping someone can help me understand better. First, a bit of background (in case I'm overlooking something)

I'm 4 months out from being able to get my free report again, otherwise I would just use the form at http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0093-annual-report-request-form.pdf to request them. I want legit reports, not third-party, and I expect I may be disputing at least one item on them. I've read that myfico is NOT the best bet since it's a third-party report and may not be as accurate.

So that said, I'm looking at the websites for the CRAs' and they all have online ordering. But I'm unsure if I should do this or if I should get a copy mailed instead.

My main question is: Does this 15-day extra time only apply with annualcreditreport.com or does it apply to ANY online order? Or is it only if you dispute online?

A second question is: where is this extra time allowed? Granted, I'm not great at reading legalese but I can't seem to find it in the text of the FCRA. Specifically, all I can find about an extension is this:

(B) Extension of period to reinvestigate

Except as provided in subparagraph ©, the 30-day period described in subparagraph (A) may be extended for not more than 15 additional days if the consumer reporting agency receives information from the consumer during that 30-day period that is relevant to the reinvestigation.
(15 USC § 1681i (a)(1)(B)) - so what authorizes that extra time?

those are 2 different issues. disputes from the free annual CR are given 45 days instead of the standard 30. however, even if you dispute off a normal report, if you send them more information after the initial dispute, they are given another 15 days. neither has anything to do with online vs mail disputes.

you want to order paper copies of your reports. you order these either through the phone or via mail, not online.

those are 2 different issues. disputes from the free annual CR are given 45 days instead of the standard 30.

So it's only if disputing from the free CR? (although again - not seeing where this is allowed in the FCRA)

Why, then, would there be any problem using the online option to get your reports? (I'll go ahead & call the CRA's & do that - just trying to understand the reasons - thanks for the input!)

those are 2 different issues. disputes from the free annual CR are given 45 days instead of the standard 30.

So it's only if disputing from the free CR? (although again - not seeing where this is allowed in the FCRA)

Why, then, would there be any problem using the online option to get your reports? (I'll go ahead & call the CRA's & do that - just trying to understand the reasons - thanks for the input!)

the 45 days period is due to the FACTA not the FCRA.

I believe it's here. Under the section that allows for a free annual credit report.

612. Charges for certain disclosures [15 U.S.C. � 1681j]

(3) Reinvestigations. Notwithstanding the time periods specified in section 611(a)(1),

a reinvestigation under that section by a consumer reporting agency upon a

request of a consumer that is made after receiving a consumer report under this

subsection shall be completed not later than 45 days after the date on which the request is received.

because the online reports are not necessarily accurate. only with the paper copy are you sure to be seeing everything accurately as stored in the CRA database.

Thanks for that link - So it appears, if I'm reading correctly, that a dispute based on a paid report would make the 30-day limit the one in effect. And that even if I ordered directly from the CRA's if it was the free one it would be subject to the 45-day limit.

because the online reports are not necessarily accurate. only with the paper copy are you sure to be seeing everything accurately as stored in the CRA database.

Well, I'll call them today, then, and place my request. But I don't understand why it would be different in one case from the other. (Not doubting, just confused - doesn't make sense to me)

Thanks again everyone for the help! And happy new year!

The last post in this topic was posted 3794 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.