Sign in to follow this  
Echo_X

So how much is my auto insurance going to go up...

Following a ten week lapse, my insurance company , Geico, has just about doubled my premium so that I would now pay approx. $625/month! I am in NY State. Wondering

if anyone can suggest another auto insurance co to look into. My driving record is decent - no major accidents - but a few lapses - until recently none more than a week or

two. Not making light of lapses -- but really 100% increase! Is this not price gauging? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Following a ten week lapse, my insurance company , Geico, has just about doubled my premium so that I would now pay approx. $625/month! I am in NY State. Wondering

if anyone can suggest another auto insurance co to look into. My driving record is decent - no major accidents - but a few lapses - until recently none more than a week or

two. Not making light of lapses -- but really 100% increase! Is this not price gauging? Many thanks for any suggestions.

I drive a Maybach Landaulet and have four DUIs, and my insurance isn't that high.

My chauffeur drives the Maybach Landaulet and even though I have four DUIs, his insurance isn't that high.

Fixed it for ya.

Edited by cashnocredit

My chauffeur drives the Maybach Landaulet and even though I have four DUIs, his insurance isn't that high.

Fixed it for ya.

Gieves sends his regards.

You're not a prisoner here. There are no bars on our electrified fences. We don't have attack dogs in our alligator-infested swamps surrounding this compound.

My husband and I have high auto insurance rates, simply because of our poor credit. Geico and Progressive have been the only insurers with (somewhat) reasonable rates for us.

Try Progressive. And yep, Geico will jack your rates up if your policy even lapses by one day.

I drive a Maybach Landaulet and have four DUIs, and my insurance isn't that high.

Four DUIs?!

My husband and I have high auto insurance rates, simply because of our poor credit. Geico and Progressive have been the only insurers with (somewhat) reasonable rates for us.

Try Progressive. And yep, Geico will jack your rates up if your policy even lapses by one day.

Four DUIs?!

I suppose it's flattering that you believed the Maybach part but questioned the DUIs. :P

Four DUIs?!

I suppose it's flattering that you believed the Maybach part but questioned the DUIs. :P

Lol, I never heard of one of those! I'm not a car person.

Four DUIs?!

Yeah, well, neither were true... You can't spot my b***s**t by now? :P

Four DUIs?!

I'm mostly only attuned to your hatred of Walmart, er, W#####t, JCP, and poor spelling, ha, ha!

Is saying Walmart like that Mary Worth game? If you say it three times, Sam Walton will come out of a mirror and kill you?

Edited by RedHairedLady

Four DUIs?!

I'm mostly only attuned to your hatred of Walmart, er, W#####t, JCP, and poor spelling, ha, ha!

Is saying Walmart like that Mary Worth game? If you say it three times, Sam Walton will come out of a mirror and kill you?

:D

I will give Progressive a try, but I have a hunch that with insurance lapses and poor credit I will be in the land of high insurance premiums - - at least for a while. Too bad I recently lapsed with with the payments - that's really how I landed here. I fully expected to see an increase in my premium - but honestly, I never imagined it could be as high as 100%! It really is legalized price gauging , and they do it -- because they can. Lesson learned.

Many thanks again.

I

Funny CV but I was peering at a Maybach a few months back. There's a small dealership in the same small area in "The Ranch" where a farmer's market stakes out much of the parking lot Sunday mornings. Nice looking car.

Kind of odd having the assorted, hippy types at a "farmer's market" next to a Maybach,

Funny CV but I was peering at a Maybach a few months back. There's a small dealership in the same small area in "The Ranch" where a farmer's market stakes out much of the parking lot Sunday mornings. Nice looking car.

Kind of odd having the assorted, hippy types at a "farmer's market" next to a Maybach,

Nice study in contrasts, like when I valet my Dodge Dart. :P

Lapses are really bad. It's a lot of paperwork for them to go through the whole legal process of cancelling a policy for non-payment. And like any other company, first and foremost they want to get paid. Someone who has a history of not paying is not a desirable customer and they have little reason to offer him or her a good rate.

I'm mostly only attuned to your hatred of Walmart,

You mean there's two of us that would seriously consider joining the Air force merely to be able to "accidentally" fly over Bentonville, Arkansas and have a "unexpected failure" with an AGM Missile? :wave:

When I lived in Chicago I went without a car for about a year because parking was such a hassle in my busy, popular neighborhood, and I couldn't afford the $250 a month that a dedicated parking spot would have cost (and this was over 15 years ago). My insurance agent advised me to keep liability only, even though I didn't own the car. I asked around and found that was good advice.

It didn't cost much... maybe $25 a month at the time - and I have to admit I felt a little foolish carrying auto insurance when I never drove a car.

I was VERY much relieved when I got a car again, and only had to add coverage to my existing liability-only policy. I asked my new agent to show me the difference in premiums between what I was actually going to pay vs. what the policy would have cost if I started after a lapse in coverage. It was shocking indeed.

I'm now confused. I thought it would only be a problem if it lapsed due to lack of payment. But actually cancelling your insurance because you don't own a car will also count against you when you go to get insurance again?????

That's crazy. But then again, that is the world we live in.

If you don't own a car you probably don't have the continuing experience driving provides. People I know that stopped driving for a while felt really uncomfortable when they took it up again. You see that a lot when people move into big cities like SF or NY where having a car is more a pain that useful. Then, a few years later, if they move and need to drive they are nervous in traffic or on the freeway.

So that would translate into a higher risk for people that didn't own a car depending on how long it was.

Several years ago I lived WAY out in the country, and for a couple years never drove on a road with more than 2 lanes or faster than about 60. I had to take a road trip to Houston, and almost had a heart attack.

I'm now confused. I thought it would only be a problem if it lapsed due to lack of payment. But actually cancelling your insurance because you don't own a car will also count against you when you go to get insurance again?????

That's crazy. But then again, that is the world we live in.

Yes, they care about how long you've been continuously insured. Keep liability only even if you don't have a car!

But how would one even do that? I only have liability insurance, because my vehicle is aged with high mileage.............but when I get insurance, they still want to know all about the vehicle, etc. How do you supply all that info without a vehicle? I am confused.

This leads me to a 2nd question. Say you get rid of your car/suv and only have a motorcycle. Would having coverage on the motorcycle be ok, or should you still carry it on a non-existent car?

But how would one even do that? I only have liability insurance, because my vehicle is aged with high mileage.............but when I get insurance, they still want to know all about the vehicle, etc. How do you supply all that info without a vehicle? I am confused.

This leads me to a 2nd question. Say you get rid of your car/suv and only have a motorcycle. Would having coverage on the motorcycle be ok, or should you still carry it on a non-existent car?

First question: you tell them you don't have a car. They'll find a way to take your money anyway.

Second question: No idea. I also don't know what would happen if you downgraded to a moped or a Honda Fit.