Sign in to follow this  
perry

Can you use your P.O.Box to Dispute ?

Please settle a disagreement between 2 friends.

Will the CRA's allow you to use your P.O. Box

to dispute your credit reports.

It is very, very, rare for a CRA to allow you to register a P.O. Box as your primary address. The Patriot Act made it nearly impossible except through a very convoluted series of steps.

If I give this objective to 100,000 consumers, I'd bet my next paycheck not a handful of those 100,000 could get the CRA to send them their credit report to a P.O. Box.

It is very, very, rare for a CRA to allow you to register a P.O. Box as your primary address. The Patriot Act made it nearly impossible except through a very convoluted series of steps.

If I give this objective to 100,000 consumers, I'd bet my next paycheck not a handful of those 100,000 could get the CRA to send them their credit report to a P.O. Box.

A PO Box CAN be listed as a mailing address...OP asked whether it could be used for disputes, not as a primary address. And CRA did sent my report to my PO Box.

Edited by BamaInvestor

My PO Box is my only address on EQ and TU I get credit reports sent to it as well as sending my disputes from it and the replies to the dispute also come to it.Guess I just got lucky!

A PO Box CAN be listed as a mailing address...OP asked whether it could be used for disputes, not as a primary address. And CRA did sent my report to my PO Box.

You mean real disputes, or online disputes? Online disputes need only match what is already on the CRA. If you are talking about real disputes, through the us mail, where you get a real response through the U.S. mail, with a legal paper trail, usable in a court of law... then the chance of getting a credit report sent to a P.O. Box is the exception, and a rare one.

Showing a P.O. Box as the primary address usually involves using a convoluted series of steps to get an active creditor to report it as the primary address, which they cannot do unless they have a physical address (Patriot Act), and then the consumer has to change it to a P.O. Box, then the creditor has to report it...

If you cannot receive the report in the U.S. mail, ask for a reinvestigation, PR, use the communication in a court, etc, etc, then it is typically a meaningless dispute.

Edited by SBA

You mean real disputes, or online disputes? Online disputes need only match what is already on the CRA. If you are talking about real disputes, through the us mail, where you get a real response through the U.S. mail, with a legal paper trail, usable in a court of law... then the chance of getting a credit report sent to a P.O. Box is the exception, and a rare one.

Showing a P.O. Box as the primary address usually involves using a convoluted series of steps to get an active creditor to report it as the primary address, which they cannot do unless they have a physical address (Patriot Act), and then the consumer has to change it to a P.O. Box, then the creditor has to report it...

If you cannot receive the report in the U.S. mail, ask for a reinvestigation, PR, use the communication in a court, etc, etc, then it is typically a meaningless dispute.

I mailed in a written dispute via mail using my PO Box as my return address. All of my disputes have been by snail mail as I want a paper trail so I can't speak on whether it is effective on online disputes. My PO Box is also listed on my reports as well as my physical address. I understand the Patriot Act and identity verification but I've NEVER had a problem with using my PO Box listed as my mailing address with creditors or CRA's. I don't believe CRA's have an issue with sending your report to a PO Box...at least IME anyways. In regard to your quote above, it's not that difficult to get a creditor to report a PO Box as one may believe. All I did was update my contact information online with ALL of my creditors and financial institutions.

With that said, I think your confusion with OP's question regarding disputes using mailing v. physical (primary) address is why you're disputing this fact. However, if you're adding a datapoint then it is duly noted.

When I disputed I used my P.O.Box without any problems. The CRAs also had my physical address - both were on my reports. USPS doesn't deliver to my address so I had little choice.

I can, and did many times over. It is very, VERY easy to change your primary address to a PO Box. Then just let the new address report. Then dispute off the old street address.

I mailed in a written dispute via mail using my PO Box as my return address. All of my disputes have been by snail mail as I want a paper trail so I can't speak on whether it is effective on online disputes. My PO Box is also listed on my reports as well as my physical address. I understand the Patriot Act and identity verification but I've NEVER had a problem with using my PO Box listed as my mailing address with creditors or CRA's. I don't believe CRA's have an issue with sending your report to a PO Box...at least IME anyways. In regard to your quote above, it's not that difficult to get a creditor to report a PO Box as one may believe. All I did was update my contact information online with ALL of my creditors and financial institutions.

With that said, I think your confusion with OP's question regarding disputes using mailing v. physical (primary) address is why you're disputing this fact. However, if you're adding a datapoint then it is duly noted.

+1

For several years, my PO Box was the only address on all 3 of my reports and was where all of my creditors sent my mail.

My P O Box is on my credit reports and I've disputed via mail and online and received dispute results and hard copies of my credit reports using my P O Box without a problem for years.

My P O Box is on my credit reports and I've disputed via mail and online and received dispute results and hard copies of my credit reports using my P O Box without a problem for years.

I feel much better using a PO Box for this kind of stuff. I have had my mail stolen in the past so the last thing I need sitting in an unlocked mailbox is information about my credit.

I feel much better using a PO Box for this kind of stuff. I have had my mail stolen in the past so the last thing I need sitting in an unlocked mailbox is information about my credit.

Exactly!! :good:

Mailboxes in most newer developments around here have locks, but a lock didn't stop the postal creep from putting my Experian credit report in my neighbor's mailbox last month. I routinely get other people's mail.

I would be more concerned about having your personal info put into the wrong PO box than someone happening to rifle through your mailbox the day you have sensitive credit info sitting there waiting.

Edited by cv91915

Mailboxes in most newer developments around here have locks, but a lock didn't stop the postal creep from putting my Experian credit report in my neighbor's mailbox last month. I routinely get other people's mail.

I would be more concerned about having your personal info put into the wrong PO box than someone happening to rifle through your mailbox the day you have sensitive credit info sitting there waiting.

Yeah the postal system is quite a joke. I wont even start on my hate for them :swoon:

Yeah the postal system is quite a joke. I wont even start on my hate for them :swoon:

USPS, Walmart and Discover are the trifecta for me.

If Discover is in with those other two I guess I shall consider myself lucky I don't have one :grin:

If Discover is in with those other two I guess I shall consider myself lucky I don't have one :grin:

They are all subprime in their own special way(s). :D

My primary address is my PO Box. I receive disputes, credit reports, etc via my PO box. I didn't do anything special to have this my primary address.