Sign in to follow this  
Stormandshadow

HELP PLEASE - STORAGE UNIT AUCTIONED!

I don't know if this topic resonates for anyone --or if its appropriate to post here -- but if there is anyone out there

who can provide some guidance -- I would greatly appreciate it. At the moment

I am devastated but trying to "keep it together"-- as they say. Please let me know

if you can be of any assistance. The unit - larger of two - had most of my furniture - from 3 bedroom house.

As I understand - the unit was purchased by

one individual -- Dec 18th. I am hoping to find a way of contacting that individual

directly or via a representative. Anyone?

Sorry to hear this, Don't know what state you are in, I am in Idaho, here the law is once the auction is completed there is no recourse of any kind. Storage sites are usually guided by the UCC of your state you should be able to get the law there.

I don't know if this topic resonates for anyone --or if its appropriate to post here -- but if there is anyone out there

who can provide some guidance -- I would greatly appreciate it. At the moment

I am devastated but trying to "keep it together"-- as they say. Please let me know

if you can be of any assistance. The unit - larger of two - had most of my furniture - from 3 bedroom house.

As I understand - the unit was purchased by

one individual -- Dec 18th. I am hoping to find a way of contacting that individual

directly or via a representative. Anyone?

Why do you want to contact the buyer?

Generally speaking, storage unit auctions must be advertised and, at least in some states, conducted by professional auctioneers. If you find the ads, you'll know who the auctioneer is. The buyers at storage unit auctions tend to be regular customers, so the auctioneer is likely to be protective of their identities and isn't going to expose them to possible harassment. But if, for instance, you wanted to buy back something from the unit at a generous price, the auctioneer might be willing to pass along your offer, especially if he knows the buyer was buying to resell (most of them are). But you should be aware that many buyers flip their storage unit buys quickly, selling in bulk to used-furniture dealers, etc., rather than waiting for retail customers. So your stuff may be long gone at this point.

If you think there were legal issues with the auction, you should review your state statutes regarding required notifications, etc. I know someone who successfully sued a storage unit company after they failed to mail notices to his correct address as required by law before selling his stuff. But there you would be going after the storage unit company, not the purchaser. I've also read that personal papers (tax returns, etc.) must be returned to the original owner, but I'm not sure if this is law or merely custom.

The storage facility is not allowed to provide info re buyer; however, they can provide the buyer with my contact info.

I have read the statutes for the state (PA) and not 100% certain about the" personal property "statute but my initial take is that I have no rights to any of the contents, personal or otherwise. I will find out later today. Seems there may be a few states where personal items

must be returned, but I do not think that that is the case here. It looks like some storage facilities will arrange for return of personal items (photos, files, etc). There may also be opportunity

to purchase the unit back . I am devastated, but to be honest - all is replaceable . It's primarily furniture - some pieces which I love ( a few fairly expensive), but no family

heirlooms, etc. That said, more than the loss of furniture or any other material "things" --which is, of course, very upsetting, for me, the feeling of personal invasion is most devastating.

Its legal -- I think in most states by 60 days. Still, for me there is something incredibly ugly and sleazy about this business .

Many thanks for your input and support.

Were you notified? You may be able to get a consumer attorney and get recourse from the storage yard if they auctioned your stuff when you weren't behind.

I am a facility manager at a self storage facility in North Carolina, unfortunately once a unit is auctioned there isn't anything you can do. Storage facilities have a very specific process they follow for auction, which is based on the laws of the state. In NC we have to send a certified/registered letter with return receipt to notify the tenant of the auction to the last known address, we also have to advertise the auction in the newspaper twice atleast 10 days before the auction date. We make copies of driver's license of all that attend our auctions, as well as records of who was the winning bidder. We also tell bidders if they find any personal records (taxes, pay stubs, legal etc) to return them to us as well as personal effects like pictures which we will try to return to the tenant. It may be possible for the facility to contact the winning bidder to inquire about personal items on your behalf, but it is a long shot. Auctions are not like they show on TV, more times then not the facility takes a large loss. Auction fee's, mailing fee's, advertisement fee's not to mention the past due rent. It is usually a major loss for the facility, at our facility we try to avoid them if at all possible.