Sign in to follow this  
futurehomeowner?

The Master obsolete delete time frame thread

I disputed LVNV and Cap One both as obsolete. (LVNV is the JDB for Cap One so both are due to fall off at the same time.) They are 4 months from falling off so I thought I would take a shot with all three CRA's. Still waiting on EQ and TU to report back but EX sent me an email this morning and both were listed as updated, although I didn't notice anything changed. Point is, they weren't deleted. :cry2: Now for the embarrassing part, I made the HUGE mistake of disputing online rather than sending through the mail. Learned that lesson the hard way, I suppose I will try again in a month or so and will be sending through the mail from now on!!

Seriously?!? Ugh So what happens if they bounce it to one of their other companies? Does that mean it could go on my CR as a new collection and therefore be on there another 7 years?

I believe it's 7.5 years from DOFD but for the most part, the CRAs delete in 7 years. Just something to be aware of when considering the law of unintentded consequences.

It hasn't been a problem for me to get LVNV under 6 months off of TU. I haven't had any luck with obsolete disputes with EX and EQ.

Just got 2 OCs off of TU using the online form. (I'm locked out of TU for online disputes as I submitted 1 less than a month ago. There is an alternative online form you can use.) disputed Sunday evening. Gone from USAA this morning. Both OCs still owned the debt so both were reporting balances. 1 was still reporting c/o every month. The other hadn't updated in years. Both were scheduled off in June.

Edited by Freedom Soon

It has to be deleted from your CR's 7 years from the DOFD. Doesn't matter who "owns" the account.

So EQ shows DOFD as 8/07 but EX doesn't have that category at all - only Date opened as 8/08 and Reported since and Date of Status as 10/08 BUT they show and estimated date of 5/2014 as estimated date to be removed from report. TU also lacks

DOFD but gives 08/19/08 as date place for collection and Estimated date of removal as 07/14.

When should I send Obsolete letters to each CRA?

Good luck!

My personal opinion is that it is ok to do this kind of dispute online.

In this particular instance, I don't see a lot of value in a paper trail as I'm not going to sue them for not removing it early. It does not appear that anyone is having better or worse luck using the mail rather than online, based on the very limited sample on this thread.

Others will say you should dispute everything by mail and that is a valid viewpoint too. EX and EQ might be better by mail. TU seems to be pretty easy online as long as you're 6 months or less out.

It has to be deleted from your CR's 7 years from the DOFD. Doesn't matter who "owns" the account.

So EQ shows DOFD as 8/07 but EX doesn't have that category at all - only Date opened as 8/08 and Reported since and Date of Status as 10/08 BUT they show and estimated date of 5/2014 as estimated date to be removed from report. TU also lacks

DOFD but gives 08/19/08 as date place for collection and Estimated date of removal as 07/14.

Towards the bottom of page 3 of this thread, I summarized the experiences of reports posted on this thread. EX and EQ are a mixed bag. I haven't had any luck with them yet.

TU should be good to go now. My experience is that everything listed as dropping in July is getting removed. Everything in August is getting verified. Presumable, in February, August items should come off.

I have been battling HSBC for years to get a $300 Paid CO off my report. (Executive offices, disputes, letters, calls...etc...)

Saw this last night and saw that TU had the DODF at 6/07. I decided with about 5 months out to try the OBSELETE idea. Went online to TU and it gave me my current report. I found this and clicked the "To old to report" line and entered the wording, "This account is obsolete" in the comments area. I did this last night at 11:30pm EST.

I received an email this morning at 8:35pm est that the investigation was complete. DELETED! Checked my record and sure enough, it was deleted! Thank you guys! Now I will try EQ on Monday as the DODF for that is a 2 months later. So Feb would make it within 6 months. We will see.

Also as a note...I had 2 30-days from over a year ago on a CAP ONE card that were not moving anytime soon...again, (Executive Offices, disputes, letters for GW, calls...nothing). Called again last week, got a lady from the Phillipines and was just very personable and humble. Yes, it took 2 hours, but got one deleted and the other they said they would not. BUT, both have actually been deleted from the reports.

The information on this board is invaluable to anyone building or re-building credit. BUT...its all in how you approach a situation and who you get on the other end. I have had much better success over the last 2 years either online dispute or over the phone. BE CONSISTENT and RELENTLESS! There is no magic bullet outside of persistence!

Good luck to all!

Towards the bottom of page 3 of this thread, I summarized the experiences of reports posted on this thread. EX and EQ are a mixed bag. I haven't had any luck with them yet.

TU should be good to go now. My experience is that everything listed as dropping in July is getting removed. Everything in August is getting verified. Presumable, in February, August items should come off.

Thanks!!

I disputed LVNV and Cap One both as obsolete. (LVNV is the JDB for Cap One so both are due to fall off at the same time.) They are 4 months from falling off so I thought I would take a shot with all three CRA's. Still waiting on EQ and TU to report back but EX sent me an email this morning and both were listed as updated, although I didn't notice anything changed. Point is, they weren't deleted. :cry2: Now for the embarrassing part, I made the HUGE mistake of disputing online rather than sending through the mail. Learned that lesson the hard way, I suppose I will try again in a month or so and will be sending through the mail from now on!!

Many people have better luck disputing obsolete accounts online. 4 months is pushing it in my experience with EX and EQ.

Yeah this kind of back-fired for me in a way. One of my accounts was deleted off of EX (a CO set to fall off in May) and has now reappeared with a listing of my most recent missed payment as a 120 day two months ago which is completely wrong. FICO dropped 44 points, lol. I did the dispute online so now I am going to dispute it again by mail with documentation of payment history to at least get that straightened out. Blagh. Worst case it falls off in May anyways, NBD.

Edited by almostanonymous

Yeah this kind of back-fired for me in a way. One of my accounts was deleted off of EX (a CO set to fall off in May) and has now reappeared with a listing of my most recent missed payment as a 120 day two months ago which is completely wrong. FICO dropped 44 points, lol. I did the dispute online so now I am going to dispute it by mail with documentation to at least get the payment history straightened out. Blagh.

Did EX notify you that it was going to be reinserted?

Many people have better luck disputing obsolete accounts online. 4 months is pushing it in my experience with EX and EQ.

Thanks for the tip. I had read 6 months quite a few times so I thought I was in the clear. I will focus more on 2-3 months from now on!

Yeah this kind of back-fired for me in a way. One of my accounts was deleted off of EX (a CO set to fall off in May) and has now reappeared with a listing of my most recent missed payment as a 120 day two months ago which is completely wrong. FICO dropped 44 points, lol. I did the dispute online so now I am going to dispute it by mail with documentation to at least get the payment history straightened out. Blagh.

Nope.

Via another thread I found a way to speak to a rep via chat and had this TL looked at and deleted. It then popped up again two days later with a completely different payment history than what had been showing before.

Edit - the account hadn't reported for over 5 years so I'm not really sure WTF is going on.

Thanks for the tip. I had read 6 months quite a few times so I thought I was in the clear. I will focus more on 2-3 months from now on!

6 months is OK for TU.

Nope.

Via another thread I found a way to speak to a rep via chat and had this TL looked at and deleted. It then popped up again two days later with a completely different payment history than what had been showing before.

Edit - the account hadn't reported for over 5 years so I'm not really sure WTF is going on.

I would send a dispute CMRRR stating that they did not give proper notice for reinsertion and demand deletion.

I would send a dispute CMRRR stating that they did not give proper notice for reinsertion and demand deletion.

Man, this forum is a life saver. I didn't even know that was a violation to report the account again without notification. I will definitely re-write my letter then and get it out today. Thanks for the info. I was just hoping to have them properly report the payment history.

So if I pull the trigger on TU now and they are reporting every month as it is, would that CA acct be added back on next month if they try to report since they are SO persistent? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to understand.

NO, once it is removed it is gone.

So it looks like I can do TU AND EX next week. TU says is should come off in July but EX says it will come off on May!

Ugh beware of unintended consequences!

I disputed my last IIB baddie on Experian as obsolete, called on the phone since they blocked me online since I disputed this before. They said it was not 7 years yet and I said that the DOFD they had was incorrect (which is true). She said she could put in a dispute to update the DOFD and I said sure since I didn't see any downside.

On the plus side, Experian updated although with even more incorrect data but now the DOFD is 2 months earlier and is now the actual correct month. I'll just wait for it to drop off later this year at this point.

Now the bad part, on my EQ report, I had succefully gotten my BK removed and at the same time they had actually made this account all positive. Got an alert today that the information was updated and it is now listed as IIB on my EQ report. My EQ complete FAKO score which actualy fairly closely tracking my FICO dropped 50 points. Really pissed that a dispute on EX can update data on EQ.

This couldn't come at a worse time since I am searching for a house and my EQ is my midscore so I need this fixed before I close. On the plus side I have time since we haven't found anything yet. I disputed this on EQ so hopefully it goes away again, but who knows.

Sometimes you have to leave well enough alone. I am regretting some gardening stage disputes after my house search was moved up a month.

How can you dispute online again with TU within a week or two of another dispute? Time to tackle my last 3 and I'd really rather just do it online.