Sign in to follow this  
donkeyshark

Authorized User Question

Hi everyone, I'm trying to help out a coworker with building his credit. He currently is an authorized user on a BOA CC that has a 6 year credit history. Previously, it wasn't reporting as he did not have a SSN at the time (only his parents did). He just aquired his SSN earlier this year (he's from China), but now that he has it, I'm wondering if it is possible to get that account to report on his CRs, ideally to report retroactively back to 2007 when it was opened. Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

His parents might need to ensure BOA has his SSN. Otherwise it should eventually show up on its own if BOA is reporting authorized users.

I did not have to give any creditor my husbands ssn and they are all on his report. But we obviously live at the same address.

I can't imagine them reporting it without knowing his SSN.

I think the most important factor here is that when he became an AU he had no SSN, so it's likely BOA has never reported him anyway. His parents should call and provide BOA with his SSN and ask that they report him as an AU. There's probably not much else that can be done

I think the most important factor here is that when he became an AU he had no SSN, so it's likely BOA has never reported him anyway. His parents should call and provide BOA with his SSN and ask that they report him as an AU. There's probably not much else that can be done

Yes, this is the key. He didn't have a SSN when he became an AU. That's why it's not reporting for him yet. He only recently acquired his SSN about 8 months ago and is wanting to get his history to report retroactively.

I did not have to give any creditor my husbands ssn and they are all on his report. But we obviously live at the same address.

Lenders will do a Hail Mary pass and try to match up the AU based on name or address or similar. Many actually don't mandate a SSN to publish an AU to my knowledge; however, their success rate is nowhere close to what it is in terms of it's landing on the right report as if they had the SSN from the outset.

He is an AU on my VS and express and all they asked for was his name.

If I ask another authorized user question, am I hijacking? I just don't want to start another thread because I have enough started as I have been fervently working on credit the last 2.5 weeks so I have been living on here.

I just want to know if I can add an authorized user (trying to help a really good friend/housemate) without giving her the card to actually use so that it would show up on her reports and help her out.... No card for you!

dbw

Edited by dbwCredit

If I ask another authorized user question, am I hijacking? I just don't want to start another thread because I have enough started as I have been fervently working on credit the last 2.5 weeks so I have been living on here.

I just want to know if I can add an authorized user (trying to help a really good friend/housemate) without giving her the card to actually use so that it would show up on her reports and help her out.... No card for you!

dbw

I had the option to have a card sent or not.