Sign in to follow this  
mcchrystals

I could use some help with what to do after i get my credit report.

I could use some help with what to do after i get my credit report.

So long story short. when i was about 23 or 24 I got sick and stopped working. couldnt pay anything off everything from a credit card to overdraft to cell phone bills.

I am 30 now and want to rebuild my credit. I opened up a secured credit card with capital one four or five months ago and I am saving up for another secured CC with another bank.

I sent away for my free credit report from equifax and transunion, they sould be here in a couple of days. I am hoping everything will be off my reports but i dought it. I want to dispute everthing left on it since its been six or seven years and the date for it being to old is fast approaching on anything thats left.

How do i dispute whats on my credit report, I have seen the forums where you fill everything in. What else do i need for them to take me seriously. It says i can add a hundered word letter, do i need to do this. Do i need to send in paper work, because I dont have any and the only place I can think to get this is from the collection companys by asking them to prove the dept. Or do i just need to fill in the forums and send it in.

thanks this forum has already been a huge help to me. I can see the light!

I will update when my credit reports get here.

I am in ontario if that helps

Edited by mcchrystals

Hi and welcome to Credit Boards. Find out how many negative accounts that are near or past the state SOL and the 7 year SOL for reporting. Look for obvious errors on reports. Usually negative tradelines can be disputed as 'obsolete' between 3-6 monhs before they fall off your credit report. Any old medical debts?

No medical bills that i know of. But how to i dispute for obsolete stuff. Do I just fill in and send the forum? Or do I have to send in paperwork with it?

you may find better answers on the general credit forum pinned topics.

read these 2 threads to get you started

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=425496

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=425508

Canadian credit reporting laws; http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=510708

Canadian credit reporting limits are 6 years, unlike the USA which is 7 years.

for Obsolete stuff - just show that the DOFD is past the 6 year mark and it should be deleted.

don't use forms , read the topics

for Obsolete stuff - just show that the DOFD is past the 6 year mark and it should be deleted.

I am from Canada, and concurr and confirm the above.

Also in Canada, there is no PFD (pay for deletion) of any bad trades or collections, and there is no bumping/deleting inquiries. From the threads I've read on here so far, it's actually much harder to deal with Equifax and TransUnion here in Canada for any issue, than it is in the U.S. There are many things different, credit bureau wise, between Canada and the U.S, so please be sure any information you collect from this forum, or anywhere else on the internet, pertains to Canadian credit reporting legislation, in order for it to be useful to you fellow Canadians.

Cheers!

Also in Canada, there is no PFD (pay for deletion) of any bad trades or collections, and there is no bumping/deleting inquiries. From the threads I've read on here so far, it's actually much harder to deal with Equifax and TransUnion here in Canada for any issue, than it is in the U.S. There are many things different, credit bureau wise, between Canada and the U.S, so please be sure any information you collect from this forum, or anywhere else on the internet, pertains to Canadian credit reporting legislation, in order for it to be useful to you fellow Canadians.

Cheers!

Actually, I have had inquiries removed off both of my credit reports. It wasn't easy, but its not impossible to have them removed.

One bank (which I won't mention the name of) pulled my EQ report multiple times without my consent or knowledge, and, only after initiating a Small Claims action did they provide me with a letter admitting the inquiries were done without my consent. I disputed the inquiries and sent the letter to EQ, which removed the inquiries.

Another also removed an unauthorized one from EQ - also as a result of a Small Claims action.

As for TU, I had a few unauthorized ones from Amex (that were done without my knowledge) removed by disputing them through "special handling".

Edited by Liam W

Cheers!

Actually, I have had inquiries removed off both of my credit reports. It wasn't easy, but its not impossible to have them removed.

One bank (which I won't mention the name of) pulled my EQ report multiple times without my consent or knowledge, and, only after initiating a Small Claims action did they provide me with a letter admitting the inquiries were done without my consent. I disputed the inquiries and sent the letter to EQ, which removed the inquiries.

Another also removed an unauthorized one from EQ - also as a result of a Small Claims action.

As for TU, I had a few unauthorized ones from Amex (that were done without my knowledge) removed by disputing them through "special handling".

No, you're right, getting inquiries deleted is not impossible, but very close to it.

First of all, Equifax and TransUnion won't even entertain the idea unless you go directly to the source that made the inquiry and dispute it with them first. They claim they don't have the ability to delete the inquiries, but we all know they're full of crap. They'll say anything to get you off the phone as fast as possible. I say inquiries can't be deleted, because for the most part, it's not worth all the hassle involved in getting them deleted. They are worth a very small percentage of your score, and the effects of the inquiries on the score fade away rather quickly. Too much bother for so little benefit.